Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router changing IP

• 20-12-2004 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there

I have a q-tec adsl ethernet router using ETHADSL_USB_080902_REL9 firmwire. Every so often it disconnects and I have to switch it off and on again to get it to reconnect. unfortunately, my international ip keeps changing, and this isnt good for my WAN as I have to email everyone on our little wan file sharer thingy....excuse the n00bishness...telling them my new IP.

does anyone know how to stop this thing from doing this? :confused:

thanks SO much

Guy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

It sounds like you have a dynamic IP which does indeed change each time you connect.I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to achieve but you can go to http://www.dyndns.org/ and they'll let you tag a name directly to your dymanic IP so people will always be able to connect to you no matter what IP you have.

carb.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thomasb

GuyHobson wrote:
    Hi there

I have a q-tec adsl ethernet router using ETHADSL_USB_080902_REL9 firmwire. Every so often it disconnects and I have to switch it off and on again to get it to reconnect. unfortunately, my international ip keeps changing, and this isnt good for my WAN as I have to email everyone on our little wan file sharer thingy....excuse the n00bishness...telling them my new IP.

does anyone know how to stop this thing from doing this? :confused:

thanks SO much

Guy

If this is for business, you should consider getting a static IP - most providers will give you one for an extra charge, though Netsource at least used to give static IPs to all customers.

Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

EsatBT has an option in the router setup options for specifying a static IP address. Not sure how reliable this is though - best to get onto your ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i had my D-Link DI-604 router keep disconnected and need to be rebooted because of uPnP was enabled. however, it has been stable for weeks without having to reboot since I disable uPnP feature on the router. I guess uPnP had caused too many connections that brought my router to unstability and work overload - causing it to crash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GuyHobson

:eek:

WOW, thanks for the fast replies. I will be sure to give all ideas a look at...this UPNP first, maybe i can get it to stop disconnecting!!! hehe

thanks guys

Guy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GuyHobson

thomasb wrote:
    If this is for business, you should consider getting a static IP - most providers will give you one for an extra charge, though Netsource at least used to give static IPs to all customers.

Thomas

nah mate, not really. just a gaming thing. :) im just a g33k student lives at home with his moma
    :rolleyes:

thanks for the help.....ALL of you (did the dynamic IP, it SHOULD work, will see in morning when people are awake)

Cheers

Guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

funnily enough i have the same problem with my zyxel modem if i use the usb connection. doesn't seem to happen with the ethernet one though. might look into the upnp thing though. thanks for that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

uPNP won't stop your IP changing if your router disconnects. If your router ever does disconnect (or is forced to renew its IP by the ISP) you're going to have the same problem again.

The simplest solution is to use a service like www.dyndns.org, assuming you can't get a static IP.

Advertisement