Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illegal immigrants

• 09-10-2000 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it true that if illegal immigrants get pregnant in ireland they can stay ?

[Ir(for the itfl)]Molly

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'd seriously doubt that that's written into the law of the land. An illegal immigrant is an illegal immigrant for certain reasons. Getting pregnant doesn't change those reasons and so shouldn't change their status as illegal immigrants.

Getting married - that'd be a different story.

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Thier child can stay. That's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

A child born here is automatically an Irish citizen with all rights that that infers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭tr1n1ty

Yip - the kid is Irish and the parents can claim Irish citizenship. I pass the National Maternity Hospital on Holles Street every day and the number of pregnant foreign couples visiting the hospital for check ups is phenomenal.......

To Infinity and Beyond!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

Yes people born here are given automatic citizenship.
    Do people genuinely think that refugees are all having kids so that they can stay here and steal from our welfare system!!!!!!

What a load of bullsh!t.

some points,
    - most refugees come from developing countries which have higher birth rates (partially due to the Churchs telling them that contraception is bad, including Irish missionaries)
    - Ireland has a crap welfare system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

just the kind of bullsh1t that ppl can sell very easily.

see the belgian far right party is gaining points in the elections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Contrary to the "Oh my god .. what a bunch of fascists we are if we believe people might actually do that" line of argument, I would say there have been cases of people opting to have a child in Ireland so as the child might have a better chance than in the country that was left behind by the parents for whatever reason.

As for welfare abuse, we've been over this ground, and I never saw any replies to my questions on the last thread.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

glad to see you're busy working at home Jak smile.gif

what exactly were your questions relating to welfare fraud?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

If the article I read was correct (and I doubt, 'cause it was the Sunday World or somesuch piece of sh!t) if the child is born here (being the entire island of Ireland), it is an Irish citizen. It was part of the good Friday agrement or something. Now, the thing is, if the parents are foreigners, they and any other kids they become citizens as well.

Now, while I'm sure not all the couples that come here deliberately get pregnant so they can stay, I'm sure that there is one or two that have.

I alway did think that practically every romanian girl over 15 seemed to have a baby in there arms, but I figured it was the same baby since I never seen two in the one place...

Draco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Draco:
    *SNIP*

I don't know where people are getting this crap from.

If someone comes over to Ireland and has thier child in Ireland. The child is Irish, the parents are not. Nothing changes for the parents. The parents can apply for citizenship but it has absolutly no effect in the process.

The parents would either be sent back with the kid (the kid could come back anytime) or they could come to some arrangement where the kid would be looked after.

Now if someone came here and got married to an Irish person then had a kid that would be a different story. The family would have a viable case for letting the immigrant in (or deporting the lot of them smile.gif )

My cousin has the same issue. He was born in Ireland and only stayed as a kid for a few months, he hasn't set foot in Ireland since and he's in his 30's yet still has a valid Irish passport (he uses it when he is in Europe). His parents are not Irish.

actually I think I'm the only one in my immediate family who doesn't have duel citizenship.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 10-10-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    I don't know where people are getting this crap from.

As I said, the wonderful Sunday World, and I did say I didn't really think it was right.

Draco

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement