Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerr on Croker

• 20-12-2004 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

Never even gave any thought to the surface, seems like Brian has....

The clamour continues apace to open Croke Park but dissension has come from an unlikely source this morning, Irish Soccer Manager Brian Kerr.

Kerr has voiced his concerns that the benefits gained from the 80,000 strong crowd would be outweighed by the Croke Park pitch:

"I was asked whether I’d like to see the team playing in Croke Park, but my priority is in terms of our team, to play a soccer match on a pitch prepared for soccer".

Kerr, no stranger to seeing his sides playing on poor surfaces having managed St. Pats for 10 years, on some rough terrain, continues: "It’s a stunning stadium but opening it up is a GAA. decision. What I’m concerned about is playing our games in a place where we are more likely to win. The crowd in Croke Park would certainly help but the pitch wouldn’t".

"We have a set plan for how we want the pitch. I want it a number 1 short and watered heavily. That may not be possible with Croke Park."

He may be known for his meticulous preparation for games but in this instance Kerr would be advised of the old chestnut "Beggars can't be choosers".

AFAIK Croker is a mixture of real and synthetic grass, this is probably what he's on about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

It has the same sewen surface as Anfied - it's the most expensive surface you can get
    Anfield is widely considered as one of the very best surfaces

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

well I think it would be better if we actually played our games in Ireland instead of going off to a different country.

Croker is a mix of real and synthetic grass but tbh I dont see the problem with it it is the same as anfield. Most important is we play our games in IRELAND and croke park seems to be the only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Fence ....Kerr.....

Wouldnt expect anything less , he has always viewed it as FAI should have their own stadium and he would sit on the fence regardless.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

No guarantee of good grounds anywhere in UK either Brian.
    Remember the valley for that summer competition with Jamaica?
    Stamford Bridge & Old Trafford were not always billiard like recently either & as said already beggars can't be chooses. And have no doubt the FAI are certainly beggars. Beggars f***n belief how they operate at all in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Perhaps the grass is kept longer in gaelic pitches than in soccer pitches, and that might be what he is on about.

The quality of the surface at Croker always looks immacualte. Though there certainly have been problems over the last 12 months with players continually slipping. The ground was too hard to wear anything other than mouldies, but this left a lot of players slipping.

Did you know, that no matter what the surface of a pitch was like, Eric Cantona only ever wore moulded studs. He reckoned that real studs on your boots were bad for your feet, legs and back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Did you know, that no matter what the surface of a pitch was like, Eric Cantona only ever wore moulded studs. He reckoned that real studs on your boots were bad for your feet, legs and back.

Easier to stamp on players with moulded?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

KdjaC wrote:
    Easier to stamp on players with moulded?

kdjac

easier to stamp without leaving as many marks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Perhaps the grass is kept longer in gaelic pitches than in soccer pitches, and that might be what he is on about.

It is and I think he's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

It cant be much worse than lansdowne roads current surface surly?

Advertisement