Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Bank?

Options
  • 20-12-2004 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'll soon be in the market for a couple of new personal bank accounts, one for some saving and a joint current account for direct debits & general bill paying.

I have some critera, I would like this bank to be open for a time on saturdays, (as I, um, have to work during the week), would like a no fuss attitude towards me and my money, (some banks like to treat you like the pond scum you are to them) and I would also like the best/fairest deal from 'em when it comes to bank charges/administration.

After last weeks independant consultant report on the news, detailing the lack of competition in Irish Banking, making it impossible for newer smaller banks to challenge the 'big two', I'm wondering, "Does such a 'magic' bank exist?", I guess what I'm asking here is:

Tell me about your bank, discuss the pros and cons as you see them, maybe suggest a type of account or package that they offer which you have experience or knowledge about?

Thank you,

Luc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

None of the banks open on Saturdays. If you really, really need counter service on a saturday, you'll be limited to EBS Building Society or your local Credit Union. Neither of these offer full cheque book or online bill payment facilities.

If you can do without the Saturday service, NIB's Freebank account has no charges if you stay in credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I wouldn't recommend NIB at all. I'm currently getting rid of them - awful service.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lucutus wrote:
    Hi all,

I'll soon be in the market for a couple of new personal bank accounts, one for some saving and a joint current account for direct debits & general bill paying.

I have some critera, I would like this bank to be open for a time on saturdays, (as I, um, have to work during the week), would like a no fuss attitude towards me and my money, (some banks like to treat you like the pond scum you are to them) and I would also like the best/fairest deal from 'em when it comes to bank charges/administration.

After last weeks independant consultant report on the news, detailing the lack of competition in Irish Banking, making it impossible for newer smaller banks to challenge the 'big two', I'm wondering, "Does such a 'magic' bank exist?", I guess what I'm asking here is:

Tell me about your bank, discuss the pros and cons as you see them, maybe suggest a type of account or package that they offer which you have experience or knowledge about?

Thank you,

Luc

Don't think there is a magic bank but for savings accounts I would look at the Credit Union for two reasons

- They are open on Saturday
    - You can also borrow against those savings(after 6 months or so) at a better APR than most of the big banks.

You can also set up standing orders/direct debits to make weekly/monthly lodgements.

As regards banks, I'd look at

TSB
    BOI

BOI has very good online and phone facilities but beware of their charges. I have been with BOI for a long time. They charge a flat rate , which is good value as long as you stay within the limit. I don't :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

All banks are as bad as each other. Credit unions are the way to go.

Advertisement