Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands you like that....

Options
  • 20-12-2004 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

.... you don't think anyone else has heard of? :)

With thousands and thousands of bands and performers out there, I love discovering bands that I'd never heard of before.

Have you got any favourite bands that you don't think anyone else has heard of (or your friends have never heard of, anyway)

Here are some of my favourites... (AMG link in brackets for more info)

Kevin Tihistas Red Terror (AMG)
    Gorgeous indie pop. Catchy music (usually about love, heartbreak etc., but don't let that put you off).

The Reputation (AMG)
    Rock band, female singer with amazing voice (Elizabeth Elmore), great lyrics.

Porcupine Tree (AMG)
    Prog/Art rock band, fronted by multi-instrumentalist Steve Wilson. A bit Pink Floyd-ish in places (Wilson is an amazing guitarist), but the songs, arrangements and lyrics ensure PT are in a league of their own.

I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business (AMG)
    One of my latest discoveries! :) Mainly acoustic, lo-fi indie pop. Great lyrics, catchy songs, gorgeous harmonies and strange samples... A bit like Badly Drawn Boy.

The Shore (AMG)
    Imagine the bastard love child of The Verve and Embrace, and you'll be close to The Shore's sound. They've just release an album called The Shore (not reviewed on AMG yet), but its being played to death in my car at the moment... Look it up on amazon.com for some great reviews and song samples.

Anyone else got any favourite 'unknown' bands?

I'll post more later!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

My mate likes Porcupine Tree !!!!!!

Mine are,

Mad At Gravity : One album, then split up. Great rock band from the states, New York I think. Check out the free download of "Walk Away" at their official site http://madatgravity.artistdirect.com/news.html

Third Eye Blind : Have their three albums, another great rock band from San Francisco. Forget about "Semi Charmed Life" which you may have heard, they are much better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Mindfunk - their second album 'Dropped' is a work of art IMO

Cynic - a few people know of them, but 'Focus' was one of the only albums I've ever heard which was truly original

Appliance - great band, they played the Shelter here a few years back and I was one of about 4 people there to see them. Check out the EP 'Six Modular Pieces'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Hafler Trio, very very very strange electronic music but great when you're in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Keep the suggestions coming, folks! Some more from me...

Rubyhorse (AMG)
    The best Irish band no-one has ever heard of. Rise (their 3rd album) is one of my favourites. Their song Sparkle was a pretty successful hit for them last year, and its currently the new music on AIB's ad campaign (replacing The Walls).

Gigolo Aunts (AMG)
    Great Rock / Powerpop band from the States. Catchy songs that'll you'll be humming for days after listening to them. (The song at the start of the comedy "Game On" is sung by them - "Where I find my heaven".)

Sloan (AMG)
    Canadian rock band, loads of cracking songs with singalong choruses.

Powderfinger (AMG)
    Aussie rock band. Probably most likely to be the best known of the bands I've posted (they are very popular in Australia). Odyssey #5 is a fantastic album.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

The Pipettes

Just oh so sweet and quirky... appeared about the same time as the chalets.... and kinda the same deal.... but more honest and fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Iron Monkey

They were on Earache a few years ago and play "downtuned aggro-stoner sludgecore" ( from the cover of one of their CDs ). They're very heavy and very good. Somewhat similar to Eyehategod but doing their own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Cursive
    great indie band from omaha. on the saddle creek label

Bright Eyes
    AKA Conor Oberst. he's rather well known but he's worth a mention. on saddle creek.

Desaparecidos
    Conor Oberst's side project. can be compared to at the drive-in. on saddle creek

The Faint
    another great band and guess what- they're on sadddle creek.

check them out on www.saddle-creek.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

Biffy Clyro - great band from scotland.Idlewild - also scottish. much mellower. hope this post makes them millionaires:) They both have websites.
    Google

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I love Our Lady Peace. They are a canadian band,huge in the states and canada,but not so big here/europe.AMG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Dashboard Confessional are often dismissed as punk/whatever by people but they actually write some great stuff. Check out "Hands Down" for just a taster...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

The Sick www.thesick.com melodic hardcore at its best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Best punk band of the nineties... Oxymoron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Postal Service

Side project from one of the guys from Death Cab For Cutie. Their album 'Give Up' is brilliant. Poptronica is a description I've heard applied to it.

Smog

Bill Callahan from the States. Lo-Fi songs which are quite dark and sometimes quite funny. He's got at least seven albums out at this stage. 'Knock Knock' is my personal favourite at the moment. Great live preformer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Sheol

kittie
    bunch a girls...with very not-girly music!!

naglfar
    not very known in ireland...

impurity
    the austrian one..great black n death metal

...just to name a few...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

kittie
    bunch a girls...with very not-girly music!!

hehehehe...

"27" are a great band, female vocalist.. very chilled out music.

Metric - female vocalist, pop-rock stuff

sleepytime gorilla museum - weird, kinda metal in places.. but just .. weird

The Tragically Hip - rock/alternative.. pretty much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Sheol

Mordeth wrote:

sleepytime gorilla museum - weird, kinda metal in places.. but just .. weird

hmm..sounds good... gotta check em out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

metric are great.

broken social scene... very, um, hard to describe, good, basically.

le tigre! bestest band ever. and best political post punk electronic feminist performance artists too.

the knife. swedish bro and sis musical oddities

dEUS. so very underrated.

the stills. if you like interpol, you should like the stills

le tigre! bestest band ever. and best political post punk electronic feminist performance artists too.

Because you know how many bands they're competing with from that genre...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

LAIBACH

They're from Slovenia and I've loved them since I was 15 (in 1988).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

dEUS. so very underrated.

If Le Tigre are that feminist, shouldn't they be 'La Tigre'? :p

But yeah, I love dEUS too. Definitely in my top two Belgian bands... :D:D

• Advertisement

LAIBACH

They're from Slovenia and I've loved them since I was 15 (in 1988).

Terrible terrible band. I've got Opus Dei and WAT and neither of them were any good. Thought I'd give them a chance live but they were even worse live. Felt like the same song repeated for the whole night (and in the case of Tanz Mit Laibach it was repeated).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭doug1970

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 IBEH

Don't you Irish bods like Pony Club? You should, you lucky people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

Cianan2 wrote:
    I love Our Lady Peace. They are a canadian band,huge in the states and canada,but not so big here/europe.AMG

i love these too! they are really great live! hav ya seen them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Joydrop

Darling Violetta

Lennon (might technically be just the lead singer Lennon Murphy, but she has a band so meh I guess it qualifies ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

im_not_ok wrote:
    Cursive
    great indie band from omaha. on the saddle creek label

Bright Eyes
    AKA Conor Oberst. he's rather well known but he's worth a mention. on saddle creek.

Desaparecidos
    Conor Oberst's side project. can be compared to at the drive-in. on saddle creek

The Faint
    another great band and guess what- they're on sadddle creek.

check them out on www.saddle-creek.com

anything on saddle creek is quality.the faint are fuc*in unbelievable.

i love Brainiac, the were a great band.they split cus the lead singer Timmy Taylor died.the guitarist went on to form Enon.
    Another super band are the Bloodthirsty Lovers a band headed by Dave Shouse of another great band The Grifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

i love these too! they are really great live! hav ya seen them?
    No,i didnt bother goin to the gig, coz of Avril mainly. I regret it,tho!!

Advertisement