Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB disaster continues...

• 20-12-2004 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

After waiting since start of October for installation (having been told there is no capacity but I am a priorty for installation as and when there is) and having had one attempt fail a week ago due to high winds, I have just received the faited phone call from IBB to say that they are cancelling my appointment this week due to them having "run out of equipment". I actually laughed and said that waiting over 3 months is beyond a joke. What really annoys me is them telling me I am a priority but obviously making NO effort to prioritise anything. People here have reported successfull installations since there has been capacity, they made no effort to reschedule the installation quickly after the high winds failure (took over a week) and have now run out of equipment and wont have any more until into the new year. Fantastic.

I'd give up on this joke of a company except my only alternative needs a phone line - which I have no other use for. There's no sign of NTL BB round here which is a real shame.

When I asked to speak to a manager in IBB she said it would be Martin O'Tool, who was currently busy but would ring me back... I await the call. In the mean time does anyone have an email address for this guy or any other useful manager at IBB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 broadband

what part of dublin do you live in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

what part of dublin do you live in ?

Deans Grange.

1. Are you mad about IBB not putting you on a high site that was full and could not give you a good service?

2. Installs can only be done in good weather conditions and installs would have been scheduled for 2 weeks in advance and only if there was a cancellation could they fit you in any quicker?

3. In the run up to the holidays they give first preference to business customers as they get more income from them.

4. Was there capacity on the high site you were going to be installed onto or where the other installs you talk about been installed onto different high sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

broadband wrote:
    4. Was there capacity on the high site you were going to be installed onto or where the other installs you talk about been installed onto different high sites?

???? But they have no equipment , they can install nothing :)

M

"People here have reported successfull installations since there has been capacity, they made no effort to reschedule the installation quickly after the high winds failure (took over a week)"

??????Muck

• Advertisement

No of course I dont want to be put on a busy site and have a crap service but it's annoying that their website reports sites to be live when they claim on the phone they are not. They also claim on the phone to have sites ready to go live in 4 week - 11 months later they have not. Also I am covered by more than 1 according to the web but they wouldnt entertain putting me on the other options over the phone.

I fully accept the wind was too much to make it safe to install on the day they did turn up. But am not happy with how long it takes to have another go. How often is the weather crap here? With a 2 week interval it might never happen! Several poeple have reported on boards that IBB call and offer an install next day, so I dont know what this 2 weeks is about. When told that you are a priority it would be nice to be treated as such.

As for the running out of equipment, they've had my order cleared for 3 months. They have known for this time that they have a number of installs waiting to be done on the mast that lacks capacity/was not live (depending on who you believe) so you would have thought that while building the mast / installing capacity they could also get the equipment in for the number of installs they have backed up. It would be nice to be told the truth. Not told that I am priorty only to hear people on boards getting installs the next day and them run out of equipment after having waited 3 months for them to get capacity on the mast. If it's never going to happen then I'll have to lump ADSL and the phone line charge but every time I speak to them it should be sorted in a week or two and after 3 months its still no closer. When should I just give up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They installed my new equipment last week in Leopardstown.. They upgraded me from the 512 service to the 1 meg service. I am working of a new high sight along the N11 near the Stillorgan Park Hotel I think..

Tis very good but took me since the 7th of October..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We had ours installed 6 days ago , could it be they ran our of ripway instals ?
    been waiting nearly 2 mnths.
    and the blanch systems seems to still have issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

If he was on ripwave the wind wouldnt have been the problem, unless he left the window open ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Where about's in Deansgrange do you live? I'm just down the road from Deansgrange and have an application with IBB for Breeze, though I'm fairly sure that I won't be able to get it as the two sites, the RTE tower and the top of the Galloping Green are not visible from the roof of my house. Added to that is the fact that my phone line won't accept DSL.

I may have to go with Ripwave :(

• Advertisement

I'm not far from the Bakers Corner. They've done a LOS which passed to the Belmont mast (Is that the Galloping Green one?). The web maps have me covered by their Sandyford mast also, but they didn't want to discuss that on the phone... I guess I should count myself lucky the phone line does pass ADSL tests, but want rid of the thing if I get BB elsewhere!

Is Ripwave available round here? I guess you must be closer to the RTE mast than me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah they sent me a Ripwave modem, and charged me for it, even though I applied for Breeze Light and have the original application form beside me! Not a great introduction to the company!!

I'm about 15 minutes walk from the Deansgrange crossroads, on the way to Blackrock, so not that far from you. Plus, I think you're on higher ground too. I'll be well pissed if I can't get it though - from what I've heard, Ripwave is a bit of a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

heres my story

applied for IBB in September - got a call on the friday after I posted application - they tested monday and installed equipment the following thursday - about 10 days after I posted application....

Had great pings and speed until late november, wehn they ran some upgrade or other - wasn't using system much the last two weeks but everytime I did I had ping problems, packet loss... service had really deteriorated....

Emailed them last friday, friendly and reasonable and stated I had been very happy, but that service had gone bad in previous 2/3 weeks, and that I may have to reconsider my commitment unless pings improved (I had on original application under 'additional info' that ping times were of the utmost importance to me).

Got a call from them in work monday, they told me they had been looking at my line and had run tests and an upgrade (???) and if the problems persisted to get back to them asap.

Man... was I shocked??? Anyway, Haven't had time to test the line yet really but I think the service was pretty good?? I'm on Breeze lite I think (the 1mb line...)

So, it's not all bad. My commiserations to those getting the bad service, but in my case its been all good so far - fingers crossed the pings have improved!

Advertisement