Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pci express

Options
  • 20-12-2004 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

What's the general feeling out there on pci express ? just ordered a new mobo ( MSI nforce 4 ) athlon 64 / 3500 and pci express asus x700 card ? How are people finding pci express?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

istep wrote:
    pci express asus x700 card

What spec. Why didnt you go with a 6600gt cheaper and faster and if your mobo has SLi - cheap Gfx upgrade later on.

Linkies?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

PCI express is a proven technology at this stage, almost completely taken over in the high end motherboards, it’s twice as fast as AGP and there isn’t a whole lot more you can say about it(you wont notice any difference with that card over AGP). Not sure if your board is Sli enabled but if it is, then like Nukem said the 6600gt would have been a better choice. (probably would have been a better choice anyway.)

I just pray he hasnt accidentally bought an nForce 4 with Sli and that card.
    Oh that would hurt :( He can always cancel it. Especially since its so close to x-mas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

jessy wrote:
    PCI express is a proven technology at this stage, almost completely taken over in the high end motherboards, it’s twice as fast as AGP and there isn’t a whole lot more you can say about it(you wont notice any difference with that card over AGP). Not sure if your board is Sli enabled but if it is, then like Nukem said the 6600gt would have been a better choice. (probably would have been a better choice anyway.)

Actually, the X700 benchmarks better than the 6600gt. Better performance in HL2, Farcry, UT2004.... not Doom3 (obviously).

If you did go SLI, then quick! Change to a 6600GT. Two of these are better than a 6800 Ultra.... apparantly... we'll see.

Bass.exe wrote:
    Two of these are better than a 6800 Ultra.... apparantly... we'll see.

No there Not, check the anandtech web.

• Advertisement

If you are going to prove me wrong, at least use correct spelling/grammer :D

Ok, yep with AA and AF on, A single 6800 Ultra defeats 2 x 6600GTs. Without AA and AF, the 2 x 660GTs win.
    I was misled by another couple of sites which had... shall we say *optimistic* data about the 6600GTs.
    They're pretty on-par with a 6800GT for the most part...
    I found it interesting that in one of the tests, a 6800GT outperformed a 6800 Ultra......

Bass.exe wrote:

What Spelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

jessy wrote:
    No there Not, check the anandtech web.

no they are not or no they're not.. would be the correct grammar, as for the spelling it looks fine to me.

Spelling and grammar are definitely not my strong point.

Optikus wrote:
    no they are not or no they're not.. would be the correct grammar, as for the spelling it looks fine to me.

As you pointed out, 'twas the word "there" which should have been "they're".
    I originally put spelling mistake, but then released it was better classified as a grammatical error, so added that.

Anyway, I was only taking the piss.

I myself am getting an SLI mobo and 2 6600GTs. Not getting both cards at the same time however... I'm too poor for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Bass.exe wrote:

I think you mean "grammar",
    Grammer is a town in Indiana, USA .
    Not that any of this relates to PCI-Express graphics. I reckon about 2 years and barring the very low end, it will be nearly all pci-express based graphics but for the moment a good agp based system is at no disadvantage to them other than when SLi comes into play, so we have plenty of time to adopt this technology.

Beaten at his own game:D

Bass.exe wrote:
    Actually, the X700 benchmarks better than the 6600gt. Better performance in HL2, Farcry, UT2004.... not Doom3 (obviously).

Where did you read that(please link)
    Found these 6600gt Vs x700Pro and the 6600gt Vs x700xt

The 6600gt seems to win most times and this is the poorer of the 6600gt (XFX) the Leadtek is probably the best

Advertisement