Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esatbt Not So F'ing Free Trial!!

• 20-12-2004 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Er perhaps some of you are in the same situation as myself..... EsatBT are not only trying to charge me for my free trial, I got a final notice demanding payment or they will "refer the account to a third party for recovery of the outstanding amount." Now I cancelled my free trial before the end of the three months by email, as I was told to do by one of their agents when I rang them. I just got the final notice in the door dated the 16th. Now I was talking to somebody on the 17th and they said there had been a mistake and it was all sorted but I'm beginning to wonder if they are trying to pull a fast one on some naive people...... Has anyone else got letters like this???

Bear in mind the fact that I keep forgetting to send their DSL router back but I haven't used it since the date I cancelled my account with them. Since I never signed a contract I don't owe these cowboys a penny. I will send the modem back when I like, and if that doesn't suit them I will point out the advertising of a COMPLETELY free trial.. Nobody mentioned having to pay for posting them back their router..... Now I'm not that much of a tightwad... I WILL send it back when I get a chance, but until then, they're going to have to wait. And if they even attempt to take a penny from my bank account, they will suffer. Rant over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Well it's a no win situation for you really! The terms which were stated in the letter is that if you wish to cancel the free trial, you must ring them up a week before the 3 months end. After the 3 months period is over, you must return the modem to them within 10 days, or they are entitled to charge you full broadband subscription, aswell as a connection fee and possibly installation fee and cost of modem. They don't really care how you get the modem back - SDS, Post, or even drive to their modem dispatch centre.

As long as they get their rubbish modem back within 10 days, they won't winge. But if you don't send the modem back pronto, they are quite entitled to charge you! Sorry mate :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

After the 3 months period is over, you must return the modem to them within 10 days

As long as they get their rubbish modem back within 10 days, they won't winge. But if you don't send the modem back pronto, they are quite entitled to charge you! Sorry mate :p

Yep to all that, SDS that mutha ! Eircom are much worse, they bill you in full during the free trial.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭robo

davil wrote:

Bear in mind the fact that I keep forgetting to send their DSL router back but I haven't used it since the date I cancelled my account with them. Since I never signed a contract I don't owe these cowboys a penny. I will send the modem back when I like, and if that doesn't suit them I will point out the advertising of a COMPLETELY free trial.. Nobody mentioned having to pay for posting them back their router..... Now I'm not that much of a tightwad... I WILL send it back when I get a chance, but until then, they're going to have to wait. And if they even attempt to take a penny from my bank account, they will suffer. Rant over.

Just to let you know that on their contact page page, they have a free post address.

Postal address
    Freepost Address:
    IOL
    Esat BT Grand Canal Plaza
    Upper Grand Canal Street
    FREEPOST
    Dublin 4

Haven't tried to post to that address yet as mine is not up til next week... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭robo

Just called ESAT about the modem returns and here are the addresses -

Send your modem to :

IOL Broadband Modem Returns,
    c/o: GLS Ireland,
    Oakwest House,
    Oak Road,
    Walkinstown,
    Dublin 12.

And then you have to send a cover letter to ESAT, informing them that you have returned your modem to GLS. You can send the cover letter to :

Esat BT Grand Canal Plaza
    Upper Grand Canal Street
    Dublin 4

Personally I think that I will hand deliver my modem, cheaper than posting!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I think chorus techy is a correct. I remember when this free trial was announced, people went throught the details looking for what they thought was a catch. The 'catch' is that if you don't explicity cancel it then they assume your staying with them. It's opt-out, not opt-in. Shame. But still...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Actually what happened to me is that I cancelled the trial a few weeks before it ended (sent several letters up to them in case An Post lost one) then I rang them and they didnt receive it so I emailed them, the next day I rang them I was told that the email was received and it was cancelled.

I also sent the modem back to GLS address by recorded delivery and SDS informed me that it was delivered.

It was a surprise to me when Esat sent me a bill for broadband! Despite it being cancelled, the bank was given notice not to let a single penny go out of the account.

I sent Esat a letter saying that I had returned the modem and that I had cancelled the trial before it was over, then I got a letter back saying "Thank you for choosing IOL Broadband... blah blah blah... you have given us permission to debit your account without a written mandate".

I find all this a bit confusing especially because I have now migrated over to Eircom BB !

Advertisement