Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

party step 4 hand, not me!

Options
  • 20-12-2004 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Step 4 Party Poker Step Tourney, 150/300 blinds. I’m watching whilst doing some Christmas shopping online!

[7 handed, 13 left, (inside the bubble but 13th place drops back to step 2)], Utg folds, utg+1 (table CL, 2500) min raises to 300 with A-5 off, 2 folds (both stacks of around 1200), button shortstack (650) raises all in, blinds fold.

Utg+1 thinks and calls the 350. He has odds of 1175/350 for the call (around 3.5:1) and if he puts the button on 88-AA, AK suited or offsuit then the equity of A-5 off against that range of hands is 28%, this makes this a call.

So he called, the button shortstack turned over JJ and the river spiked an ace to knock the him out.

I would never make the min raise here as a rule but my question is: Is it always a mistake to raise weaker than usual hands to give yourself odds to call a shortstack all in?

Personally I think it’s muck, and that the button even with close to zero folding equity played the hand well. But the players here at this level have a bit of skill from moving up through the levels or have bought in for $500, so I’m wondering yet again if I’m missing something?

Cheers,

Jono.

Blinds (75/150)
    Dealer: ** Dealing down cards **
    Dealer: zeeka folds.
    Dealer: irvspanish raises [300].
    Dealer: Frydad5 folds.
    Dealer: touchmyrobot folds.
    Dealer: JUANRAMON is all-In.
    Dealer: donflun folds.
    Dealer: potpimpinN8 folds.
    Dealer: irvspanish calls [350].
    Dealer: ** Dealing Flop ** [ 5s, 8s, 9c ]
    Dealer: ** Dealing Turn ** [ 7d ]
    Dealer: ** Dealing River ** [ Ad ]
    Dealer: irvspanish shows two pairs, aces and fives.
    Dealer: JUANRAMON shows a pair of jacks.
    Dealer: Player JUANRAMON finished in 13 place and received $0
    #1325464459: irvspanish wins 1525 chips from the main pot with two pairs, aces and fives.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

I am sure he was just representing a bigger hand than he really had hoping thateveryone would fold. I you raise enough that if a shortstack goes all in you have the odds to call then you wiill not be a successful player long term. If that was his intention he is giving himself evens on the shortstacks money.
    I'd say he won his way up. Not many good players would be playing muck from that position.

I have an opinion about these step challenges at my blog:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Shortstack wrote:
    I am sure he was just representing a bigger hand than he really had hoping thateveryone would fold. I you raise enough that if a shortstack goes all in you have the odds to call then you wiill not be a successful player long term. If that was his intention he is giving himself evens on the shortstacks money.
    I'd say he won his way up. Not many good players would be playing muck from that position.

I disagree entirely with the first part of this, I spend almost my entire waking hours raising just enough so that shortstacks have zero folding equity but I can get away from the hand if anyone else fancies a reraise. Thats what being a big stack is all about! The nature of sngs is such that there comes a time when there are several shortstacks who only have a few BBs each, that doesnt mean that you should stop bullying. You just have to take it into condideration.

I wouldnt raise in that postition though.

Advertisement