Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Radio for BBC Radio 4

Options
  • 20-12-2004 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My sister wants to get her English Husband a decient radio for Christmas, capable of a crystal clear reception of all the BBC Radio stations - espicially Radio 4

Is digital the way to go? It's for home use -

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just for a moment I thought you were a civilised radio listener!

Does your sisters place have NTL? If so you just need to hook up a cable extension to any radio with an ariel. Failing that I imagine BBC 4 on LW198 is pretty strong in Dublin so a LW capable radio.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

mike65 wrote:
    Just for a moment I thought you were a civilised radio listener!

Does your sisters place have NTL? If so you just need to hook up a cable extension to any radio with an ariel. Failing that I imagine BBC 4 on LW198 is pretty strong in Dublin so a LW capable radio.

Mike.

She wants a gift, so a stand alone radio would suit better... I'll look into a LW radio on Peats then - Cheers

I just re-read your first post, crystal clear is only possible via cable or Sky digital dish. Anything else is over the airwaves and therefore prone to interference.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I just re-read your first post, crystal clear is only possible via cable or Sky digital dish. Anything else is over the airwaves and therefore prone to interference.

Mike.

Found a retailer on Ormond Quay - Would these not have very clear reception?

'Crystal Clear' would not be a must, a very decient reception would suffice.

Where are you located?
    If you are in north co Dublin, or the border counties you should get reasonable FM reception of radio 4 from the north.
    South of that line it's there but dodgy.
    If you have NTL cable, and an amp with a tuner then you can get it crystal there by hooking in.
    Otherwise it's sky digital for you, you don't need to subscribe.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    Where are you located?
    If you are in north co Dublin, or the border counties you should get reasonable FM reception of radio 4 from the north.
    South of that line it's there but dodgy.
    If you have NTL cable, and an amp with a tuner then you can get it crystal there by hooking in.
    Otherwise it's sky digital for you, you don't need to subscribe.

Cheers - appreciate the help

Those radios look mighty nice, its a pity that the BBC limits is use of XM satelilte to the World Service otherwise that would be the way forward.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,37726,00.asp

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Those radios look mighty nice, its a pity that the BBC limits is use of XM satelilte to the World Service otherwise that would be the way forward.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,37726,00.asp

Mike.

Interesting stuff - cheers mate

Advertisement