Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I learnt about shooting from that.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And given the to-and-fro'ing over statistics on firearms and crime and so on both in the US and in the UK, I think that if this thread didn't exist, it wouldn't slow down the anti-gun movement much.

Also, given the kind of thing you see printed in the shooting world - such as the recent Sportsmans Association newsletter that explicitly accuses senior members of the scottish police and government of being in a paedophile ring with Thomas Hamilton; or less off-the-scale but far more local, some of the articles printed in the Irish Shooters Digest in the past year on the DoJ or from shooting organisations to their members - I think that this thread is pretty small potatoes. And given its potential to save a life or two, I'm not for taking it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Smokeless Coal

Its not just the Sportsman Assoiciasion bringing up a peadophile connection see here.

http://rigorousintuition.blogspot.com/2005/06/dunblane-update-police-involved-in.html

I'm not saying kill the thread, as you say anything that might prevent us getting into a dangerous situation needs to be said. Its just a trivial reminder that we have to be aware of outside scrutiny. I didn't want this topic blown out of proportion, just ignore me and carry on guys.

It might not be just the SA bringing it up SC, but as the recent editorial on the Cybershooters site puts it:
    Now if you're a conspiracy theorist and want to waste your time pursuing this absurd conspiracy theory, go right ahead and waste your time. However, if you're a shooter, please come to your senses and realise that this theory is total nonsense and use your time more usefully, e.g. by trying to get the handgun ban repealed. Certainly undermining the Dunblane Public Inquiry won't do that, because Lord Cullen didn't recommend a handgun ban, and he also concluded that Central Scotland Police made serious mistakes in their dealings with Thomas Hamilton and the manner in which he was able to retain his firearm certificate.

As you say, the link I just posted was comments from the daily telegraph, but its all linked to the history of how we came to todays situation. But this is the wrong thead for that topic.
    I think weve all got little anecdotes regards near misses, I had one in the army the first day on the ranges with SMG's we were being introduced to the tool and were to practice single shots at 30m. The guy next to me squeezed the trigger and the thing popped off 30 rounds in quick succession, he panicked and started to turn around, I felt the heat as they whizzed past my head whilst I was diving to kiss earth. The poor bugger got jumped on and pinned down, a booting from an enraged NCO, then suffered the wrath of the C.S.M, but it was not his fault a duff trigger stuck it in auto instead of single shot. No matter how safe you are sh!t happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

"what kind of damage would happen with a 20 gauge cartridge in a 12g shotgun, would it blow open the action, could it have burst the barrell????"

"Commonly known as a "12-20 burst" (stick it in Google for loads of hits), it's where the rim of a 20 gauge cartridge fits down a 12 gauge chamber but lodges at the bottom of the chamber and doesn't drop the whole way down the barrel.
    A 12 gauge cartridge will then chamber and fire normally on top of it, with disastrous results."

Exactly.
    A 20 bore cartridge mistakenly loaded first causing an OBSTRUCTION followed by a 12 bore cartridge that seats properly. At which time the gun is closed or cycled normally.

But. You end up with this at a minimum:

124287202_9780080b4d_o.jpg

Be safe.

• Advertisement

ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Did you get a new one for christmas

Thankfully not mine maglite.

I had to know this ditty by rote before my father would let me take my first shot.
    I have a copy in every hard case and gun cabinet in my possession.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~

A Fathers Advice

If a sportsman true you'd be
    Listen carefully to me...

Never, never let your gun
    Pointed be at anyone.
    That it may unloaded be
    Matters not the least to me.

When a hedge or fence you cross
    Though of time it cause a loss
    From your gun the cartridge take
    For the greater safety sake.

If twixt you and neighboring gun
    Bird shall fly or beast may run
    Let this maxim ere be thine
    "Follow not across the line."

Stops and beaters oft unseen
    Lurk behind some leafy screen.
    Calm and steady always be
    "Never shoot where you can't see."

You may kill or you may miss
    But at all times think of this:
    "All the Pheasants ever bred
    Won't repay for one man dead".

Written by Mark Beaufoy of Coombe House, Shaftesbury, Dorset, England, in 1902, on presenting his eldest son, Henry Mark, with his first gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I like
    Particularly:
    "When a hedge or fence you cross
    Though of time it cause a loss
    From your gun the cartridge take
    For the greater safety sake."

some people would rather be unsafe than see something get away :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Fortunately firearms technology has improved somewhat since then. I've performed all sorts of acrobatics without unchambering a round without much risk of it discharging.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fortunately firearms technology has improved somewhat since then. I've performed all sorts of acrobatics without unchambering a round without much risk of it discharging.
    Yeah, but thats easy in a tank. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

NTM

Fortunately you live in a country where you can try out those technologies

Narrow escape.
    This is probably one of the closer escapes I've heard of.

Sparks wrote:
    Narrow escape.
    This is probably one of the closer escapes I've heard of.

Not really an escape per se Sparks! Just very very lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Looking at that page, you have to come to the conclusion that anyone who feels a need to own a brace of chromed Desert Eagles mightn't be all that suitable to possess firearms..

How did the poster get that picture btw, scenario seems a bit contrived to my cynical mind

(Edited to add, read the updated version of the post, it answers those questions).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 garmac

The lads in Duffys in Galway keep a Baikal o/u (f/c and choked full if memory serves)in the shop as a cautionary tale and visual aid for safety and it really is an eye opener.
    Story goes: Guy hears that if you uncrimp a shotgun round and pour wax in on top of the shot it is very good for goose/larger duck shooting.
    Shot string? Shot cork more like! And the result? Soiled jockeys, destroyed gun and newly found religion.

But on a lighter note from the Darwin awards:
    1996) Two local men were seriously injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on state Highway 38 early Monday morning. Woodruff County Deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday.
    Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock, are listed in serious condition at Baptist Medical Center. The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog-giggin' trip.

On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pickup truck's headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. A replacement fuse was not available, but Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet, the headlights again began to operate properly and the two men proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge.
    After traveling approximately 20 miles, just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The vehicle swerved sharply to the right, exiting the pavement and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident but will require surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released.
    "Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston (shot his intimate parts off) or we might have been dead," stated Wallis. "I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how the accident happened," said Snyder.

Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia, Poole's wife, asked how many frogs the boys had caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That fuse one was tried out on Mythbusters a while back, cant for the life of me remember what the outcome was, anyone?

Same program had a 12g split like bamboo after being fired submerged.

A little story regarding all the outrage over being forced to have house alarm systems for pistol licences. Got home tonight at nine after the house had been empty for four or five hours, and someone or someones had broken in, ransacked the house and absconded with some thirty grand's worth of jewellery and leaving a fair mess behind them. And tossed the room the safe was in fairly well, presumably looking for the keys. Moral of the story? If the gardai tell you to get a house alarm for your gunsafe, don't think that it's so onerous, because it carries side benefits. If we'd had an alarm fitted, we'd be a tad better off right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote:
    A little story regarding all the outrage over being forced to have house alarm systems for pistol licences. Got home tonight at nine after the house had been empty for four or five hours, and someone or someones had broken in, ransacked the house and absconded with some thirty grand's worth of jewellery and leaving a fair mess behind them. And tossed the room the safe was in fairly well, presumably looking for the keys. Moral of the story? If the gardai tell you to get a house alarm for your gunsafe, don't think that it's so onerous, because it carries side benefits. If we'd had an alarm fitted, we'd be a tad better off right now...

Jesus sorry to hear about the break in Sparks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sparks wrote:
    Feck :mad:
    Sorry to hear about that Sparks, I hope your insurance makes good and the Gardai catch the scumbag(s).

Another side benefit of having an alarm (a monitored one) is that most insurance companies will give a discount on your house and contents insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I had a chap in during the week who nearly lost his eye.

He was out hunting with a friend when they got seperated- nextthing he knows he gets a blow to the eye

He has a small entry wound in the lower eyelid Xray shows a bb size pellet lodged in the bone around the eye- it managed to completely miss the eyeball.
    He was very lucky
    I would recommend all hunters to wear Blaze cammo, all shooters need eye protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Can see how it could happen three of us regularly shoot snipe with two on the sides one up the middle and if it wasnt that we were being very careful and concious of each other it could easily happen.... snipe often get up near and fly between us.

Sounds like a Cheney waiting to happen psitta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Its completely leathal after a while you get used to it and learn to leave them but when i was starting out it was bad all you here is the cheep of the snipe then your instinct kicks in gun to shoulder get on bird swing through it very hard to keep calm and realise theres other people around thats why its important to have someone beside you when your starting out to watch you and thats at close ranges so you can imagine the damage that can be done if care wasnt taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

An elderly shooter was once asked to what he attributed his long life.

"Part of it " ..he said !
    "Was that every time a snipe got up , I ducked down "

Seems he had a point ..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭vlmaxis

A friend of mine shot a rabbit on a ditch with a shotgun, we were on a golf driving range, 10 minutes later a guy with a load of golf balls stuffed up his jumper walked trough a gap in the ditch carrying a wounded crow that just magically crawled out of a ditch in front of him, lucky B*****D.
    moral of the story, know your backstop and don't shoot trough blind ditches

Obstruction = Blown Barrel

Check your barrels.

Not my gun.

369933313_cecd63dadb_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

A friend recently bought a semi auto shotgun second hand. He made the decision to leave it as a 3 shooter, for safety reasons. He swopped guns with his brother in law one evening after shooting clays. He was amazed and shocked to hear the other guy letting off 4 consecutive rounds from his gun.
    He had taken it for granted that the previous owner would have told him if the gun could take 5 cartridges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

atfonrange.jpg

Best,
    Preusse ;)

Advertisement