Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I learnt about shooting from that.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

Preusse wrote:
    atfonrange.jpg

Best,
    Preusse ;)

anyone got more pics like this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

Thought I might share this email I got from a friend in canada -

Sighting in your expensive new deer rifle

1. Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle.............. $1200.00

2. Quality, high-powered scope........................ $ 550.00

3. Bore sighting device.................................... $ 140.00

4. Hospital Visit............................................... $ 4,893.00

5. Forgetting to remove the bore sighting device prior to shooting?

Priceless !
    01a.jpg
    01b.jpg
    01c.jpg
    01d.jpg
    01e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Good grief, how to turn a rifle into a banana! Any idea how the poor unfortunate eejit fared afterwards, didn't look too good on the stretcher :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

the pictures of the gun are real but the picture of the injured man doesn't look like he belongs.

still important lesson to learn from that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Yea the picture looks a bit suspect - not properly immobilised - etc.

Mind you one of the club members in Australia came into me with pretty severe injuries when the pistol he was shooting exploded ( one of his reloads jammed in the barrel and he shot again) managed to sever a very important nerve in his thigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cmd17hmr

macnab wrote:
    A friend recently bought a semi auto shotgun second hand. He made the decision to leave it as a 3 shooter, for safety reasons. He swopped guns with his brother in law one evening after shooting clays. He was amazed and shocked to hear the other guy letting off 4 consecutive rounds from his gun.
    He had taken it for granted that the previous owner would have told him if the gun could take 5 cartridges.

This hapened to me the first time i went shooting with friends 1 had a pump and it was aparently a 5 shot.
    after a friend loaded it i fired the 5 shots droped it down and started swinging it stupidly at my hip when i looked in and saw the sixth one jammed inside,then looked up and saw it was pointed at one of the others,i put the gun down nd dident fire for months after
    its a scary thing to think that you could be the cause of the loss or maming of sombodys life let alone your own.
    since then the pump has been bent probably nothing wrong with it but could you ever have faith with the gun while out with others or even your children

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

• Registered Users Posts: 13 R_B_D

how in the name of god did he get a gun!!!!thats unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

Guys you obviously haven't been around long.

This guy is a Gun Whisperer, employed by shooters to help with their grouping, he was in the middle of a session and the gun was answering his last whisper, " if you don't stop asking stupid questions, I'm gonna shoot you".

Or it simply could have been one of those new ear protectors, extreme protection. :D

or finally Q Tips shaped as guns, for the shooter who has everything. It just blows away the wax. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 atals77

That photo is bad on so many levels. The bit I like the best is the fact that his finger is on the trigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Merged threads. BTW, that photo's already been posted, see "Rule 5" above...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Sparks wrote: »
    BTW, that photo's already been posted, see "Rule 5" above...

sorry.... never saw it before

scuby

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kiwijbob wrote: »
    01b.jpg
    How are rifle barrels manufactured? From sheet metal or hollowed out?

Victor wrote: »
    How are rifle barrels manufactured? From sheet metal or hollowed out?

They start off as metal tube referred to surprisingly enough as gunbarrel ;)

Before copper pipe, gunbarrel was used for plumbing as well. The pipe is drilled out to the required bore and then rifled. Drilling is done relatively slowly as is rifling.

rrpc wrote: »
    :p:)
    Before copper pipe, gunbarrel was used for plumbing as well. The pipe is drilled out to the required bore and then rifled. Drilling is done relatively slowly as is rifling.
    Hmmm, many pipes are made from flat, bent into shape and welded, I can only assume the weld is the weak point. But why did it split in 4 - are gun barrels made of a number of strips of metal?

Interestingly, this video shows a similar effect with fruit. http://www.break.com/index/bullet-blows-stuff-up-at-5000fps.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rrpc wrote: »

I think the question was where does the metal tube come from.
    Originally it was made from a sheet formed into a tube, but that can have changed. Extruded barrells are probably common today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Had a patient in recently with pellet wounds they recieved in the garden, there was pheasant shooting occurring close by.

:p:)

Hmmm, many pipes are made from flat, bent into shape and welded, I can only assume the weld is the weak point. But why did it split in 4 - are gun barrels made of a number of strips of metal?

Interestingly, this video shows a similar effect with fruit. http://www.break.com/index/bullet-blows-stuff-up-at-5000fps.html

Possibly the rifling would have caused it to split like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

MythBusters tried replicating the effect (with a lot of gusto) and failed to achieve much more than a single split in the barrel a few cm long. I don't for a moment doubt the end results would be highly unpleasant for all involved, but perhaps it's improbable that they would be quite so photogenic?

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Had a patient in recently with pellet wounds they recieved in the garden, there was pheasant shooting occurring close by.
    What goes up, must come down.

Just as well there wasn't wild AK-47 fire celebrating a wedding. :eek:

I've always wondered what kind of velocity pellets shot up into the air would have as they fall and reach the ground again.

Mellor wrote: »
    I've always wondered what kind of velocity pellets shot up into the air would have as they fall and reach the ground again.
    Whatever about pellets, I this it was the American Army did an experiment with rifle bullets.

The got a small boat, fitted it with overhead armour in the centre section and a rifle that would fire straight up. Measuring the time before the bullet returned to earth meant they could measure the terminal velocity. They placed the boat in a large pond, so they could hear a splash. Most rounds hit the pond, but some hit the boat. One hit with enough force to put I think it was a 3/8ths of an inch hole in the timber deck - equivalent to a firm hammer strike. Most bullets that struck the boat seemed to hit point up.

Pellets would suffer more air friction and of course the angle the round is fired at will make some difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Whatever about pellets, I this it was the American Army did an experiment with rifle bullets.

The got a small boat, fitted it with overhead armour in the centre section and a rifle that would fire straight up. Measuring the time before the bullet returned to earth meant they could measure the terminal velocity. They placed the boat in a large pond, so they could hear a splash. Most rounds hit the pond, but some hit the boat. One hit with enough force to put I think it was a 3/8ths of an inch hole in the timber deck - equivalent to a firm hammer strike. Most bullets that struck the boat seemed to hit point up.
    Here you go-
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0811707954/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-6205633-6152648#reader-link
    Search 'Inside this Book' for '512', and select the link 'on page 512'.
    Start about half way down.
    Pellets would suffer more air friction and of course the angle the round is fired at will make some difference.
    Anyone who's ever been out pigeon decoying with other shooters has probably been showered with shot, I know I have many times.
    Shot falling vertically or close to it is no more dangerous that hailstones, so I strongly suspect that Traumadoc's patient was very close to the action to have suffered injury.

The patient was hit in a region ( thigh) that indicted it was some one shooting at a low bird??

Traumadoc wrote: »
    The patient was hit in a region ( thigh) that indicted it was some one shooting at a low bird??
    Was it a female patient lying down? ;)

I think range and angle of penetration might be more telling as to where the bird might have been.

Of course, there might have been no bird. :eek:

There was shooting going on in the next field. The patient was not too upset.

Had a bit of a scary moment while deer shooting recently where a person decided to ignore the warning signs. I saw a deer and was debating should I take a shoot when I saw the walkers dog behind the deer, to be followed by the walker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

From a bit of a distance pellets wouldn't be too bad if you keep in mind how hard it is to have a clean kill on small game from further than a stiff 40 yards and a rabbits' capability to absorb energy is a good deal smaller than a humans'.
    I vividly remember an incident dating back from when I was about 10. The dad and his mates were out shooting in the pissing rain and I was beating ditches when a low pheasant broke and one of the lads fired never having spotted a farmer in a field about 60 yards away. Your man got the blast nearly full on the back and it didn't even get through his heavy rain gear. Of course he wasn't too happy but after a few apologies and a lovely selection of the day's bag all was settled.

Rifles are a different story and you can only appreciate Traumadoc's sense of responsibility not taking a shot that seemed dodgy.

• Advertisement

Thats about right, not very strong at all, it also makes sense that they hit point up, as at the apex they fully stop, so when they fall they fall heaviest part first as by now the spin from rifling has worn off.

I.m pretty sure that terminal velcity of pellets close to large hail as Rovi said

Advertisement