Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I learnt about shooting from that.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

I had a similar incident a few years. I was using my .22lr CZ 513 Farmer. I don't know what ammo I was using at the time.
    I was doing a bit of plinking on the bog with a friend of mine when instead of the usually bang there a low "pop" and a loud "hiss" as smoke came out from around the bolt.
    On inspection the bolt,gun and brass casing were grand but the barrel was blocked by the bullet.
    Using oil and a cleaning rod I pushed out the bullet, from bolt to muzzle.
    The barrel was dirty but there was nothing blocking the bullet.
    I put it down to that single round being underpowered and the dirt slowed it to a stop.
    I do clean the gun more frequently since then and have had no reoccurrences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

well ill put it up here so if it happens to someone else we can check if their the same batch

brand:cci
    type:maxi mag hp
    caliber:22 magnum
    batch number:E13004

il have the lad i shoot with check his batch number since there the rounds he uses and that the marlin seems to love.

had you many bullets gone from the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

id say i was half way throught the box when it happened

im just wondering lads can i do something about this if it was the ammo as my brothers hearin is still not returned to normal yet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You mean other than not using any more of it? :)
    I'd say it's fairly doubtful.

well i mean if my brothers hearin is permantly damaged surely someone is responsible

• Advertisement

Yup. You could even sue the manufacturer.
    Thing is, you'd show up in court with the best representation you could afford and they'd show up with the best they could afford (think Arthur Cox. Not the firm, the actual chap himself).
    In a fight like that, it's very hard to win. Not to say it's impossible, but...

...well, could you honestly swear that you'd maintained the ammunition in perfect conditions? Never too hot, never too cold, never got wet, never got a knock, was taken out of the box and stored in a solid plastic box like the MTM ones? And that the firearms dealer who sold you the ammunition did so as well? Their solicitor and barrister will be paid to ask crappy questions like that.

...not to mention the awkward question of whether or not you were on an authorised range when the shot was taken (since, if you weren't, you were in breach of the Firearms Acts and your brother had possession of an unlicenced firearm unless he himself has a second licence for your rifle).

That's the hassle with court, it's all polite language, but it's still a knife-fight for all that.

hmmm i see wat you mean even though i was on land i had permission to shoot on, but surely who fired the gun is not important cause if i fired it we would be in the same position

anyway its still to be decided what caused the problem i brought the gun to a gun dealer in mullingar to be looked over and repaired im gonna ring him tomorrow to see if he can asses wat caused it

hmmm i see wat you mean even though i was on land i had permission to shoot on
    But as you said yourself, you put up a board and were shooting at that. That's target shooting, taking place somewhere other than an authorised range, and that's an offence under the Act.
    but surely who fired the gun is not important cause if i fired it we would be in the same position
    But if your brother who had no licence and wasn't covered by 2(4)(g) because you weren't on an authorised range fired it, then he was acting illegally.

The point with both those points is that the company would argue in court that it can't be held liable for injuries suffered while carrying out illegal acts.

The law's a bit nasty when it gets down to it :(
    anyway its still to be decided what caused the problem i brought the gun to a gun dealer in mullingar to be looked over and repaired im gonna ring him tomorrow to see if he can asses wat caused it
    Let us know what it was - a fair few people might have the same setup, it'd be a good thing to warn them if it was dodgy ammo!

well you seem to know alot about the law around guns sparks, thank you for clearing things up

Sparks wrote: »

But if your brother who had no licence and wasn't covered by 2(4)(g) because you weren't on an authorised range fired it, then he was acting illegally.

Let us know what it was - a fair few people might have the same setup, it'd be a good thing to warn them if it was dodgy ammo!

must you pay 80 quid to get a licence to use a gun belong to a friend/family?

+1 on the setup. would like to hear id it was the bullets. still will always be something you'll be more aware of when firing the gun

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    must you pay 80 quid to get a licence to use a gun belong to a friend/family?
    Yes, unless you're on a range where it's allowed to swap firearms under section 2(4)(g) - which is down to local range rules and the local range authorisation.

right lads i got the gun back a while ago and have been out shooting and its fine

wat was replaced by the gun smith was the extractor and firing pin and i asked was their anything he could see that might have caused the problem and he said no. so ive no idea could be human error, bullets or something faulty or a combination of both which caused it

so have any of yous any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

right lads i got the gun back a while ago and have been out shooting and its fine

wat was replaced by the gun smith was the extractor and firing pin and i asked was their anything he could see that might have caused the problem and he said no. so ive no idea could be human error, bullets or something faulty or a combination of both which caused it

so have any of yous any ideas
    I agree with Ezridax on the over loading. I personally have never had that happen, but I found numerous blanks (empties) in the same brand round as you were using.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭pheasntstalker

hi lads, i was out over the weekend culling magpies,and scall crows, as there raiding the wild pheasants nests, and unfortunately witnessed every bodys worst fear . a shooting accident, the lad was out with is my father in law a man who is militery trained and 30 yrs experienced in safety and shooting,and the most safety concious man u could meet, snaged his foot in briars tripped ,pulled the trigger and shot himself in his left foot, we were 2 an half miles away from the nearest hse or road ,we had to walk back to his hse,took the boot off ,not a pleasant sight ,he was waering steel toed boots , only for them he,d have lost the whole foot, its something i hope i never have to see or anybody ever to go thru or see happen ,be carefull out there lads ,enjoy the sport be safe ,regards mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

As you said yourself, being safety concious is not optional and even the most safety aware person can be involved in an accident if all the wrong circumstances coincide. I hope your father in law makes a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

all the best well wishes to him.its always another wake up call when you see or hear about something like that..can happen to anyone..safe shooting all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

hi lads, i was out over the weekend culling magpies,and scall crows, as there raiding the wild pheasants nests, and unfortunately witnessed every bodys worst fear . a shooting accident, the lad was out with is my father in law a man who is militery trained and 30 yrs experienced in safety and shooting,and the most safety concious man u could meet, snaged his foot in briars tripped ,pulled the trigger and shot himself in his left foot, we were 2 an half miles away from the nearest hse or road ,we had to walk back to his hse,took the boot off ,not a pleasant sight ,he was waering steel toed boots , only for them he,d have lost the whole foot, its something i hope i never have to see or anybody ever to go thru or see happen ,be carefull out there lads ,enjoy the sport be safe ,regards mark.

I pray a speedy and healthy recovery, was it rifle or shotgun

Merging into the main safety thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

was out shooting bunnies there about a month ago.walking along the headlands of a field that i taught i knew every nook and cranny in the place.walking along and i dropped me foot down a rabbit burrow that was kind of hidden in a tuft of grass.honest to god near broke my leg and ankle in the hole.just goes to show no matter how much you know accidents still can and will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Lads just taught I would write up a safety message since it is
    coming to the time of the majour lamping to begin.

Mods I can't find Safety thread put feel free to move.

I just want to stress how dangerous lamping is especially if
    you are not 100% sure of what you are aiming at.

I hear lads shooting at a set of eyes and it would put a shiver
    up your spine. Is it really neccessary to pull the trigger and
    risk loosing a good name or maybe more?

I have seen what can happen when this happens.

I was lamping last Easter with a member from here that I did a
    bit of shooting with.
    There was a fox in the field but he was lamp shy so went running
    into the next field. All the light we had was from a P7 which was
    mounted on the members scope. He was searching for the fox with the
    P7 from the same spot. Suddenly a set of eyes lit up further
    down and to the left of where we were.

Without checking what it was there was a shot gone off. It wasn't a fox it was a cow that got hit threw the mouth and into the lungs we believe.
    The vet was called and the cow was put down.

Lads after experiencing this and seeing the trouble the member had to
    go through with insurance, I ask again is it really worth it for a
    fox?

Lads when you do see a set of eyes light up please triple
    check that it is a fox or rabbit and if there is the slightest
    bit of doubt don't pull the trigger because who knows it could be a cow,
    horse, dog, cat, badger, etc.

Safe shooting this winter!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

god lads be very careful out there please anything bad happens us hunters always get a bad name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

that's appalling dev what a bloody idiot:eek::eek: it's a pity lads like that are allowed to keep their firearms after something like that happens , mind you i bet he makes sure it's a fox next time he's out

People say better glass helps but he was using good glass and it didn't make one difference

dev110 wrote: »
    People say better glass helps but he was using good glass and it didn't make one difference

Is there any investigation into what happened or is the said person allowed claim off their insurance and keep their guns?

Take it ye didnt get permission to shoot on the farmers land again:rolleyes:

garv123 wrote: »
    Is there any investigation into what happened or is the said person allowed claim off their insurance and keep their guns?

Take it ye didnt get permission to shoot on the farmers land again:rolleyes:

The insurance paid up and all was sorted that way.
    He still has his guns.

He still has permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

dev110 wrote: »
    The insurance paid up and all was sorted that way.
    He still has his guns.

He still has permission.
    So yes went and told the farmer what happened ....its a bad mistake but at least yes did the right thing and owned up to it there and then .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Okay lads thats enough.

There are rules about accusations against named individuals on a forum. If its a matter of public record through court records, etc then thats one thing, but so far its only the word of one poster.

I have no reason to doubt the poster as i've met him and shot with him, but legally this line of posts can only lead to problems so to avoid having posts deleted and the thread closed lets draw a line in it here and now.

Also to make sure there are no misunderstandings that means no more posts on the matter until a review has been done by the mods.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Dachipster

Was out with a friend at the weekend and we set-up a few targets to check the sights on his rifle. Took all the necessary precautions, quite field of his own, away from houses and any roads with a good backstop. Anyway, after firing a couple of clips he pulls the trigger and we hear a click of the firing pin and nothing else. Ejects the round and find what appears to be a spent shell. Thinking that we must have loaded it into the clip inadvertently he chambers the next round, lines up on the target, squeezes the trigger and boom. Massive bang along with smoke out around the bolt. The previous round was a dud and was stuck in the barrel when he fired the second. He was unhurt thankfully and the morale of the story is always check the barrel for obstruction if a round appears to not fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement