Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a disolved company name?

Options
  • 20-12-2004 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Quick question.

Id like to register a fairly specific company name. There are two identical records on the CRO. One is a business name and the other is a company who's status is marked as disolved (effective 1994).

Any ideas if this is possible?

TIA ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

You can try, has the business name any trademarks or other IP ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Philbert wrote:
    Quick question.

Id like to register a fairly specific company name. There are two identical records on the CRO. One is a business name and the other is a company who's status is marked as disolved (effective 1994).

Any ideas if this is possible?

TIA ;)

Nope, the company must be disolved for at least 20 years before you can re-use it for a new company. It is due to the fact that you could be seen as passing yourself off as the original company.

Pick a different name.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Bond-007 wrote:
    Nope, the company must be disolved for at least 20 years before you can re-use it for a new company. It is due to the fact that you could be seen as passing yourself off as the original company.
    Didnt think it was going to be that easy!
    Bond-007 wrote:
    Pick a different name.
    Guess im going to have to.. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

you can ring the cro and ask them is it acceptable to use the name, they normally respond in a few hours

Nuttzz wrote:
    you can ring the cro and ask them is it acceptable to use the name, they normally respond in a few hours

Generally speaking the CRO won't rule on this unless you submit incorporation documents in the proposed name. This is where the fun starts. If the name is rejected you have to resubmit the papers.

This has happened to me before. Use a company formation service to avoid heartache and trouble.

• Advertisement

found this on http://www.cro.ie/template_generic.asp?ID=182&Level1=9&Level2=1&Level3=5&Level4=2&Level5=0
    A company that has been dissolved for a period in excess of 12 months and not more than 20 years may apply to the High Court to be restored.

That will better explain the 20 year rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Intead of Philbert Ltd., try Philbert (Dublin) Ltd. or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

it may be possible to register the name you want as a trading name of some other company.

you could say have company Philbert Dublin Ltd. and get that co to register trading name of Philbert best gadgets or whatever.
    Best of luck with company

Victor wrote:
    Intead of Philbert Ltd., try Philbert (Dublin) Ltd. or whatever.
    Ok so in the end I went with 'Philbert Dublin Ltd' (just an example), and have been running under this name since shortly after I started this thread.

*However*! I still really want 'Philbert Ltd' (I have my reasons :) )
    I would be willing to go through the name changing process etc to do this but the initial problem still lies - The 20 year rule.

Can anyone tell me how I might proceed with this from this point. Considering I have been trading for several months and am well established etc etc.

Like I said before, the company holding 'Philbert Ltd' have been dissolved for over 10 years and I really don’t think there is any chance of them resurrecting!

Any 'law folk' in the house?!

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm wondering can you somehow reactivate the original company - presumably you would need the cooperation of the last shareholders - get its name changed and then change the name of your company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

I have a great idea, Ring the CRO

They won't tell you that. All they advise is see a consulant.

In order to restore a company that has been disolved for 10 years would involve petitionng the high court. Not a cheap process.

Thanks for your replies folks.

Will update if I make any progress. :rolleyes:

Advertisement