Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dd menus causing "install activex control" message

Options
  • 20-12-2004 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I adapted coolmenus from dhtmlcentral for a site I am designing.
    They are cool.
    However since installing the latest updates for windows, every time I open a page, the "install activeX control" warning appears and the menus are only displayed if they are allowed. Not really helping in creating a smooth pleasant browsing experience for the user. Also because the design of the site is so simple the pages really look a bit sparse without the menus,,, I had kinda been hoping most users would be able to see them (although provisions for those without will absolutely be required since I want to put accessibility tools up on this site when thye are ready!)
    Anybody else get this? Is there a quick way of fixing it or will I need new menus scripts??

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are they online? Post a URL and people may be able to supply an alternative!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Have a look at this method for dropdowns:
    http://www.htmldog.com/ptg/archives/000050.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

http://www.peterdungan.net/

Very much still a draft!

The problem seemes to be resolved now, even though I did nothing to change it oddly. If anyone clicks that link and gets the activex message could they post here to tell me please?

Want to keep the extremely simple design I have used, although I might adapt it a little. Opininons are welcome, although keep in mind that it's very much still a draft like I say. I will probably shorten the page length a little so the whole thing is more liely to fit into a browser window. (At the moment it is a teeny bit too long for my usual setup and I really think it makes a difference to how the page looks!)
    Oh and the wiki that it links to isn't even in draft yet! So no comments on that are being sought for at all :)

Thanks for the responses so far!

edit: It only happens when the page is opened on the local hard disc; I guess because there are relative paths to files in the source.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seems to work fine on my system (also saved to local driveand worked). FYI, the middle menu brings people to pages like www.peterdungan.net/peterdungan.net//tutorials/index.asp (contains peterdungan.net twice and also conbtains two '/' together)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

pwd wrote:
    edit: It only happens when the page is opened on the local hard disc; I guess because there are relative paths to files in the source.

I've noticed IE6 on XPSP2 won't open CSS or javascript content unless you select allow blockedcontent when you're looking at a page locally...

• Advertisement
Advertisement