Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable yet big headphones

Options
  • 21-12-2004 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

I have a desire to get some larger headphones for public transport travel, etc. And of course to impersonate Eminem in 8Mile. :D Can anyone recommend a decent pair, as I've a pair of Sony funtopias that are very handy but not as sound-proof as I'd like. I'm looking for the following:

Portable - foldable in 2 or something reasonable.
    Cushioned - I don't want full blown DJ headphones just the mini-version (don't have to rotate!)
    Cable - Last time I had a pair along these lines the cable was made for a hi-fi as it was about 15 feet long and I had to wrap it round me like a belt.

Any ideas? I'm currently browsing Sennheiser but I'd love something someone had already tested. I mostly listen to electronic music so bass is a biggy.

These are close but look too big.
    These are not what I'm after as far as I can see.
    These are pretty close I'd guess.

It's a bit like Goldilocks with porridge - but I'm fussier.

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Pretty much all the Sennheisers have excellent bass. :D So sayeth Bass.exe

Been using these cheap-ass ones at home HD-457

and they're pretty damn impressive - 'specially as they cost just $25.99

Most of the Sennheisers have exceptionally long cords, but they come with some sort of cable-tidy/belt clip deely, so it's all good.

Edit: Actually, your second choice there - the PMX40s - are quite good. I imagine choice #3 would be similar to #2

Edit: Except that choice #3 are a NoiseGard™ model. They have active noise cancelling. I've used these too!!! Excellent, but a bit expensive. Great on planes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Thanks for the quick reply!

I've tried in the states and these are really good - just they're stupid looking (I'm no audiophile!) and not really robust enough.

These are quite a lot but look the deal. Good to hear even the low-budget Senn. ones are good. I might just stick with a cheaper pair as they may get damaged or nicked.

Edit: Hang on that's the same pair as the first post that I said was good. Woops. Guess I like the look of 'em just not the price. Any idea what a In-line NoiseGard™ power supply box (2 AAA size batteries) clips to the belt and can be rotated through 360° means?!

The issue I'd have with the ones you have is the chunkiness I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Yes. The NoiseGard ones are quite expensive, but much higher quality. If you aren't too much of an audiophile, then the PXM models will probably be what you are after. Although, TBH, even the MX models (earbuds) can pump out some excellent sound. Enjoy.

Edit: Hell, even audiophiles would be happy with the PXMs.

Do you mean PMX? I'm sure they're the best of that type but I don't find the style comfortable and the music is too exposed to everyone else. My funtopias seem close enough to the MX as they can pump out an excellent despite their size.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Sony 7506 (used to be called V6) or Sennheiser PX100/200s. Don't bother with the PXC250s. Anyway these are all foldable. The 7506s pump out amazing bass and are professional studio phones (look at any music video with headphones and chances are they will be these or the 7509s)... expensive this side of hte atlantic though, so the PX100/200s are an option, 100s are open so you'll hear everything and everyone else will hear your music.. not good on the bus, great at home... the 200s are closed and very good for the size and money... hella comfy too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Cheers for the info.

Gilgamesh: they are just way to big to be practical although I'm sure they're great. I have big DJ headphones at home - these are for carrying around and being able to put away in your coat!

Kali: Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking the PX200s are looking good (don't need the 250 as you say) as the others are either too open or too big.

The g/f is currently in the US shopping so I could get her to get them for me.
    You don't happen to know any good US Audio chains? She's in Orlando.
    Or would anyone know a good place in Dublin to try them out before I get her to buy...Peats? (hate them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ive had the PX200 for about a year, they are the most amazing earphones ive ever heard, the bass is savage and very clear, but the best part is the way they seal over your ear and nobody can hear you, even at the highest level, and the way they fold away is handy, since i bought them 8 mates of mine have bought them for ipod usage.

And they are tough, i normally go through 2 pairs of headphones a year and these are still like day one.

Sean

Excellent. I've just asked herself to bring back a pair from the states.

Thanks.

Advertisement