Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a network with an ISDN conn

Options
  • 21-12-2004 6:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I would like to know how to set up a small network that could share my ISDN connection. What equipment would I need to get, etc?

I am currently using an Hayes Accura external USB ISDN modem .

Also, I already have a Linksys router (BEFSX41) which I used to network a cable connection, but I don't know if this will work with my current ISDN connection.

Merry Christmas,
    TEON

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Since it's a USB jobbie, I'm guessing you'll need a PC to run it and having it as a stand-alone node isn't an option... there are a fair few software solutions to have the internet connected PC serve as a proxy/gateway for the rest of the network, but it's a case of having to leave that PC on all the time... (although you can drop the ISDN connection when not in use and have it dial on demand.)
    XP has connection sharing built in, but there are plenty of other proxy apps out there.
    I'd start with googling for "connection sharing".

My 2c anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TE0N

I would prefer a hardware setup so I dont mind getting rid of the USB modem.

All I need to know is what hardware to get and a brief how to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Urh, as far as I know there are ISDN routers you can get, then hook them up directly to a hub/switch or whatever way you want to go about it.
    Haven't done this setup myself, so I'm not much use I suppose :)
    You should be able to wing it with some googling.

Advertisement