Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush greenlighted Iraq torture.

Options
  • 21-12-2004 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=17216&c=206
    The two-page e-mail that references an Executive Order states that the President directly authorized interrogation techniques including sleep deprivation, stress positions, the use of military dogs, and "sensory deprivation through the use of hoods, etc." The ACLU is urging the White House to confirm or deny the existence of such an order and immediately to release the order if it exists.
    Another e-mail, dated December 2003, describes an incident in which Defense Department interrogators at Guantánamo Bay impersonated FBI agents while using "torture techniques" against a detainee. The e-mail concludes "If this detainee is ever released or his story made public in any way, DOD interrogators will not be held accountable because these torture techniques were done [sic] the ‘FBI’ interrogators. The FBI will [sic] left holding the bag before the public."

I am wondering if this will turn into another CBS news type story or if there is more to it. I am also surprised it hasn't been overly advertised in the media.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

they sound like stanard military interrogation techniques to me, look at any milirary training programs on discovery and you will see royal marines and sas types going through that sort of training.

interesting links
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3707763.stm
    http://www.teamdelta.net/HistoryChannel.htm~
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8534-2004Jun26.html
    http://www.survivalguide.com/interrogation_techniques.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Nuttzz wrote:
    they sound like stanard military interrogation techniques to me, look at any milirary training programs on discovery and you will see royal marines and sas types going through that sort of training.
    So you think putting lit cigarettes into someone's ear and wrapping someone else in an Israeli flag and blasting music at them is a standard technique?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Nuttzz wrote:
    they sound like stanard military interrogation techniques to me,

So the use of dogs being set on people is standard military procedure? News to me. But if your right then Bush won't have any problem releasing said documentation relating to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Hobbes wrote:
    http://www.aclu.org/SafeandFree/SafeandFree.cfm?ID=17216&c=206
    I am also surprised it hasn't been overly advertised in the media.

I'm not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Nuttzz wrote:

Apparently its not.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32776-2004Jun10.html
    ...even though such use of dogs is an apparent violation of the Geneva Conventions and the Army's field manual.

• Advertisement

So you think putting lit cigarettes into someone's ear and wrapping someone else in an Israeli flag and blasting music at them is a standard technique?

No, where did I say that?

Just because I said they sound doesnt mean that they are, I'm no expert on the subject and I would venture that no-one else here is either.
    look at any military training programs on discovery and you will see royal marines and sas types going through that sort of training.

meaning that it is something that the military have been used to using in the past.

from the first link I posted
    For the British Army at least the issue of interrogation methods came to head as long ago as the 1970s.

"Sensory deprivation" including isolation, white noise, hooding, sleep deprivation and physical hardship were used to break down a prisoner's resistance before and during interrogation

from the third link
    the suspension reflects the CIA's fears of being accused of unsanctioned and illegal activities, as it was in the 1970s

Doesnt anybody read anyones posts and links anymore or do they just jump down the throat of the person they think might disagree with them?

I dont support the use of toture against anyone but I was merely pointing out that these actitives are nothing new and are probably part of the military mindset

Nuttzz wrote:
    Just because I said they sound doesnt mean that they are,
    You're implying it though by saying that.
    I'd still like to know how putting a lit cigarette into someone's ear could "sound" like a standard technique though.

well i dont know where you are getting the cigarette thing from (i'm not saying it didnt happen), I was posting in relation to the content of hobbes orginal post
    sleep deprivation, stress positions, the use of military dogs, and "sensory deprivation through the use of hoods

and saying they sould like standard techniques

again from my first link
    For the British Army at least the issue of interrogation methods came to head as long ago as the 1970s.

"Sensory deprivation" including isolation, white noise, hooding, sleep deprivation and physical hardship were used to break down a prisoner's resistance before and during interrogation

they do sound similar do they not?

Nuttzz wrote:
    well i dont know where you are getting the cigarette thing from (i'm not saying it didnt happen), I was posting in relation to the content of hobbes orginal post
    It's in the link Hobbes posted. Didn't you read it? ;)

No I didnt, our proxy server (i think thats what its called, its websense anyway) blocks that site, so I was only responding to the bits hobbes posted, i would be grateful if you would cut and paste the lot of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

putting a hood on someone head in the middle of england is one thing... the same thing done in the iraqi desert under the intense heat that is there during summer especially is enough to kill a man, and HAS killed people in iraq already.

You may think it sounds "standard" and not like torture, but its easy to say that sitting comfortably behind your desk.

Nuttzz wrote:
    No I didnt, our proxy server (i think thats what its called, its websense anyway) blocks that site, so I was only responding to the bits hobbes posted, i would be grateful if you would cut and paste the lot of it.
    It's a pretty long article so I've PM'd it to you.

Memnoch wrote:
    putting a hood on someone head in the middle of england is one thing... the same thing done in the iraqi desert under the intense heat that is there during summer especially is enough to kill a man, and HAS killed people in iraq already.

You may think it sounds "standard" and not like torture, but its easy to say that sitting comfortably behind your desk.

what bit of "I dont support the use of toture against anyone" do you not get?

I have read the articles FG sent (cheers) and while the placement of hoods on people, white noise etc have been around for years (hence my original post that they are "standard") the investigation of an rape of a young teenager I find quite sickening. There is something fundementally wrong a policy where people who could even give this a thought are left in control of other peoples lives.

Advertisement