Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Series of Unfortunate Events

• 21-12-2004 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been to see this yet?

I didnt realise it was released last Friday - guy here in work went to see it - said it was pretty good.

I love Jim Carrey, and of course Billy Connolly!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Went to see it sat with kids, very good movie.
    Very dark in parts with only the "biter" to lighten up the movie.

Would expect to see more in the series made.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

So its not just a kids movie then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Saw it on Sat. It's nothing special, more confusing than anything else. The plot seemed terribly mixed up and a bit jumpy. It's original though, kudos to the production team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Kudos to the author of the eleven books you mean?
    Well, first three for this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Elessar wrote:
    Saw it on Sat. It's nothing special, more confusing than anything else. The plot seemed terribly mixed up and a bit jumpy.

I hate films like that - I couldnt watch 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' (I think thats what its called) - that was all over the place!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

ah! me too! so annoying! will they never shut up..

but yeah, i liked it, i dont see how the plot was all over the place though...
    carrey was good yeah. the little boy was very...dazed looking. its like he was bored the whole way through...very amusin though. it was something different alright, but it was kinda annoying, the way it has to keep reminding you "THIS IS DIFFERENT WE ARE ORIGINAL" etc, or maybe that was just me....anyhoo
    all in all, pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

So its not just a kids movie then?

I didn't know it at the time but it is a pure kids movie. I fell asleep during it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I quite enjoyed this. The movie has a nice comic atmosphere, perfect for a kid's movie. It didn't take itself at all seriously, allowing us to see the cracks in the scenery because they really didn't matter all that much.

My only complaint would be that at times it felt a little too much like a "Jim Carrey movie", and I mean that in the bad sense; in "The Grinch" sense. One could almost hear them saying 'ah, sure just let Jim run riot and it'll be Box Office Gold'. Got on my wick a little. But I still enjoyed myself a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thought it was very good myself!

Jim Carrey was great in it. The small child Sonny had most of the funny lines... or grunts.. though!

Loved how Count Olaf kept referring to her as 'the primate'

And in the back of the car before the train incident.. before going into the store, he looks at the children in the back and says in turn to each of them.. 'Soda, soda... banana!" :)

Some good stuff.. i'd say a sequel is inevitable!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

Saw it this afternoon. I Enjoyed, nothing special but still very entaining, a word here meaning that the film was a most enjoyable way to pass a number of hours....I'll get me coat.

Advertisement