Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mini DV camcorder questions / recommendation

• 21-12-2004 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi,

A couple of quick questions about mini DV camcorders - could anyone help please?

1) If the specs say "DV Out" and no further detail is given, does this implicitly mean via a Firewire connection? Is Firewire the standard for DV Out or can this also be via a USB connection?

2) General question: when you connect a mini DV camcorder to a computer, does the footage show up as an "object" like it would on a digital still camera? Do you then just drag'n'drop onto the computer?

That done, would anyone be able to suggest an entry-level miniDV camcorder which would suit my needs:

- cost < 400 euro when bought on Web / in Europe.
    - decent optical zoom (16X or greater).
    - good enough image quality to view large (TV etc).
    - USB connectivity.
    - reasonably small and not-too delicate.

Not so important for me are sound quality, DV In ability, built-in effects, ultra-good picture quality etc as this is really only for low-end 'point-and-shoot' use.

I've been looking at Canon MV700/i, but these don't seem to connect to USB:

MV700 specs:
    http://www.canon.ie/For_Home/Product_Finder/Camcorders/Digital/MV700/index.asp?specs=1

MV700i specs:
    http://www.canon.ie/For_Home/Product_Finder/Camcorders/Digital/MV700i/index.asp?specs=1

TIA for any advice.

Maz

PS I'd prefer not to buy a Firewire card and probably won't be putting camcorder to intensive enough use to save huge amounts of time by doing so. Have a PC with USB 2 ports...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

re 1) DV out means fire wire (not going to be my life on it but it has everytime I've seen DV out)

re 2) nope, think of it as capturing a digital stream of data - you need some software on your PC (e.g. MovieMaker) plug in the fire wire connetion and then stream the bits you require into a file on the PC. Keep in mind that the quality you cpature it at will very heavliy influence that data size - if you go DV quality it'll be great quality but huge - I did a 45 min vid for some presentation training and it was 9GB in DV but 700MB in MPE2 (300MB in mpeg1)

Forget about PS2 - this will only be of interrest if you use it for still - this is way too slow to capture the information (on paper is shouldn;t be but in reality it is).

As for sound make sure there is a plug for an external mic - in-built are always rubish as the pick upp 360 degree sound as well as the motor noise - also (and take it from someone whos learnt that lession) - get a good mic. Even if you don't get it straight away you will probably be looking for an external mic some day.

Forget built in effects - do all that in post production with MovieMaker (free), Pinacle Studio (approx 80) or high end with Adobe (steep learning curve and a packet)

I not sure but 400 e's soubs a little tight as most are arround +/- 600 (could be wrong though - price may have fallen).

As for the best one I think that if you're go for the middle market they'll all be similar

bte, I'm not an expert - only learning as I'm going along myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

DV out is firwire... DV quality, cannot be achieved with USB but only firwire... hence they call it DV out.

No, the clips wont appear as files... when it's mini dv, it's stored as a stream of digits on a tape, with sync pulses and other technical stuff to recompile the stream into a picture. It's not a hard drive recorder.

If you are looking for ok quality you need to invest in a firewire connection, a card only costs around €20.

John

The Duke, how's the training video? Did it turn out ok?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

I just purchased the Canon MV730i from Pixmania (see here ).
    It has DV in and out. It also has a built in analogue-to-digital convertor. (You could connect your VHS recorder to the camera and convert your old VHS cassette to digital format for transferring onto DVD). USB connection, 20X Optical zoom etc. etc.

Total cost was under €490 and that included 2 day delivery with DHL to my doorstep. I've only played around with the camera for two days but I'm over the moon with the quality and ease of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭mazza

Thanks for the good advice, all - cleared up few things in my mind a lot! :)

It sounds like the whole DV to computer link isn't quite as slick or straightforward as I had imagined, based on my experience with stills cameras.

I think I'll stick a Firewire card into my PC - didn't realise they were so cheap.

Is there any special type of Firewire card I should get (I've seen mention of different number of pins in the connections, for example) or are all such cards basically the same? Any card recommendations?

@McGintyMcGoo - looks like a nice camcorder you've got. A bit beyond my price-range (unless I manage to convince myself otherwise over Xmas!), so I think I'll be getting something a bit cheaper. Thanks for the tip though...

Maz

• Advertisement

The pins dont matter.... Most computer based cards will all be 6 pin... The wider ones.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

The Duke, how's the training video? Did it turn out ok?

Howdy Lump... sory for the delay... took a long break.

The vid turned out really well.... most importantly she got the job!!! :D

tnx again for the advice..

I am presently mucking arround with Pinacle and doing a few bits and bobs but nothnig serious - as ususal another bright light cought my attend and I must now fly after that... :rolleyes: .... also I need to build myself a good machine to handle some proper volumes before I'll get back in to it properly...

all da best...

The Duke

Advertisement