Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonights Five Card Draw

Options
  • 21-12-2004 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Has any one played this before and if so what is the structure. I am mad to play this week but Wed/Thur looks out due to drink. I was going to play the Merrion 100 but might give this one a try. I play 5 card draw with some mates where its jacks to open for half the pot and that sort of thing. Also you can open with four of a straight flush. Do the same rules apply here or is it no limit ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Is the Omaha game on tonight at 7pm?

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Omah is on, not sure about the structure of the draw but dont think its no limit, Madsl should be able to fill you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

careca wrote:
    Has any one played this before and if so what is the structure. I am mad to play this week but Wed/Thur looks out due to drink. I was going to play the Merrion 100 but might give this one a try. I play 5 card draw with some mates where its jacks to open for half the pot and that sort of thing. Also you can open with four of a straight flush. Do the same rules apply here or is it no limit ?

I played in the first few, way back over a year ago, so I can't remember the exact buy-in structure (plus it might be different this week). The game is (was) jacks-or-better to open, with half-pot betting, and treble raises allowed (most people are probably used to double raises). And you can't open on four-of-a-possible, afaik.

I found it to be very different to a HE tournament... patience is not rewarded! you really have to pick up some hands, as the blinds go up quite fast in relation to stack size. And the standard is high for draw poker; you won't get any total newbies playing this game. In fact, there's probably well over a million years collective experience in the field. :)

But in saying that, if you've any experience in a regular 5-card draw game, you should be well tuned in to what's going on.

Oh, and another thing, you'll probably find it to be tighter than a normal draw cash game... but I'm not sure if that's the correct strategy to take. I remember thinking that if I played it again I'd stick to normal cash game tactics, especially early in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

thanks lenny, might give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Yes I have heard its fairly tight and easy to bluff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

High standard, but they tend to have the goods if they are calling..as it is a rebuy you can bluff early on, but be prepared for some comments from the aul' ones. That said watch the grannies...they are some tough birds.

Worth playing as there is money added tonight, best I've done in this is 4th and it was a mere 180 notes, so tonight should make it worth while. Act as if you've never played and you should get more mileage from your treble raises.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Betting is half the pot trebling (so half the pot and then three times that bet) should be good money tonight.

Advertisement