Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for present

Options
  • 21-12-2004 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

I have decided to buy the little bro a PS2 game for christmas, He seems to love the thing,
    I havnt got a clue whats what as far as games go, never got into them
    Any suggestions on what would be the best game to buy him
    Hes 15yo

Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Fudger

Ice hockey, Rugby or Soccer.......... always winners

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If he isn't into sports games (personally I find them a waste of time) then Burnout 3 is a great racing game and if he hasn't already got it Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    If he isn't into sports games (personally I find them a waste of time)
    Really...... I go through phases but always considered sports games much better value for money, plus you tend to play them much much longer. GTA San An is great but i think the fact he said his bro is 15 yrs might not be the thing for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I actualy thought about GTA s.a,, is it realy that bad that a 15 yo shouldnt play, this is another issue altogether i spose,
    Ta fo the tips so far

Na i just took it that when you said 15 thats what you where gettin at. GTA SA is grand, you see worse on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yep, according to a weekly article in the indo, buying him a violent game will cause him to com kill you in your sleep in a horrible way and ultimately cause the banning of violent games.
    There's a ton of stuff on the PS2 for 15yo. I haven't met a 15yo yet who wont play fifa or pro evo. if he aint into sports try burnout 3, i've heard nothing but good things about it.
    Being honest though, the best games tend to be the violent ones. San Andreas being the obvious example. If you trust him not to turn into a mass murderer overnight, and don't mind him exposed to violence (does he watch 18+ movies regularly?) then go for the San Andreas' and the first person shooter types.

You could always try "bro!?...a mate wants to buy himself a ps2, asked me to find out what games are good, you play the ps2 the odd time don't ya?" at least that way he can tell you what he wants.

Oh and by the way, there is huge shortages of the PS2 this christmas, you really wanna get on the case now if you have any chance. sold out everywhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The last game I got on the PS2 was Dragonball Z: Budokai 3. It's really very good if you're a fan of the show as it has a huge amount of characters and special moves in there.

I'd highly recommend Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, despite some dodgy music in parts, it's a very good game. I've only played it on the GameCube, but I doubt the PS2 version is very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

If he isnt a serious gamer, rather a casual one the the likes of (GTA SA (still a savage game)) Need for Speed Underground 2 or Fifa 2005 will go down well because chances are that if any of this friends own a PS2 they will own a copy of one of those games and he's into gaming well then I would suggest Final Fantasy X (€20 :D ) or Pro Evo 4

Of course, i'd still recommend xbox over ps2...(easier to get too)

*waits for onslaught...*

Of course, i'd still recommend xbox over ps2...(easier to get too)

*waits for onslaught...*

He had an Xbox, but swopped it for records, budding djbuzz

• Advertisement

Thats a crime!!
    Hehe, nah different strokes, different folks. Seriously though, its been on the front page of the Irish Times about how many people are going to be left wanting a ps2. Get on it now. second hand ps2's are going for as much as new ones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I was in the same position there a few days ago, ended up getting him the Eye toy play 2 thing with the camera. Mainly cause I want to see it myself too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

What games does he currently own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

just saw a couple of bundle packs in Xtra Vision, Burnout 3 and Need For Speed Underground for €45 which i thought was pretty good. Also Tiger Woods 2004 and Rugby 2004 for €40

Crucifix wrote:
    What games does he currently own?

He has a few, need for speed1, fifa? not sure which, getaway etc

I've just copped that he already has a ps2. i thought you were buying him the console aswell...hence the whole, "get on it now" and "they are sold out"...spiel. I'm shocked that not one of you corrected me..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I second monkeyfudges recommendation of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

Also Final Fantasy X (not X-2) is by far the best game on the PS2 but be warned the game will not be appreciated by some people. If he likes any of the previous games then he'll love it. Otherwise steer clear if he only wants his EA games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

gta sa
    need for speed underround2
    burnout3
    WWE SmackDown vs Raw (if he likes wrestling of course)
    the new prince of persia one, cant remember the exact name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

He has a few, need for speed1, fifa? not sure which, getaway etc

If he has the Getaway then GTA-SA is probably okay to buy him; I thought the language and violence in the Getaway were a lot more colourful than any of the GTA series.
    BTW since no-one has mentioned them platformers still exist too; Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank are both cool games as are their 2 sequels. They make a change from sports/driving/shooting games...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

How about "Beyond good and evil" tis a great game and can usually be picked up really cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

How about "Beyond good and evil" tis a great game and can usually be picked up really cheap.
    Yes. Beyond Good and Evil is really good... I only wish they'd make a sequel... it had such a disturbing ending...

Another favourite of mine on the PS2 is Ape Escape 2, if you can find a copy.

Thanks for all your suggestions ,, going to get him GTA sa.. safe bet i Think

m

Advertisement