Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stories that 3 Are Pulling Out of Ireland

Options
  • 21-12-2004 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

There are strong industry rumours of a briefing to analysts out there with detailed rollout guff from 3. This.....when crunched.....indicates that no money is being spent in Ireland . The announcement may be held back to placate the City of London in Jan or Feb .....thereby assuaging the fear in th einvestment community that they are running out of money, which do the rounds every so often, for another month or two.

Can anybody Network scan them, I have so far failed to find any 3 signal anywhere. We know that Comreg kindly certified them as LIVE and COMPLIANT in the spring but since then nada .

Has anyone actually seen or heard anything about real actual plans or real actual kit on masts etc or met real actual 3 people in Ireland ????

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I picked them up on Adelaide rd about 12 months ago for about 2 days with a Samsung Z100.. Nothing since then..

Considering there recent announcements with Vodafone, I would assume a few people exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

There was a post here somwhere about picking up signal from them out around Leapordstown racecourse area but that was ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What is "3"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Large mobile operator that bought one of the 3G licences here (and in many other countrys). You may know them better as Hutchinson Whampoa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I picked up a 3 signal in Leopardstown once. It was a couple of months ago. Although I have also seen their signal once elsewhere in Dublin - several months ago. I suspect that they have cells in place which are just turned off. Cause if they haven't, then there wont be a public service in 2005. No sign of them now doing a network search.

I read the other day in the paper that they are considering pulling out of Ireland if MVNOs are allowed/forced on VF and O2 as that is a change in conditions from when they got their licence.

Work has to be done on the other networks to interoperate with them - esp VF with national roaming. I have not heard that any of this work has been canned although it is much later than originaly planned as 3 were holding back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I just did a search. Got a network Called IRL 03. Would that be it?

I am in Limerick.

think thats Meteor, guessing you have an old phone/old sim card..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

27203 are Meteor (I guess with an old SIM it would work out 272 is IRL). "3" are 27205, 27204 is rumoured to be reserved by Eircom.

Although if you are doing a network search with a 2G phone (and old SIM) you wont ever find 3!

Advertisement