Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morientes on Liverpool: "I want it to happen"

• 21-12-2004 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭

http://www.football365.com/news/premiership_news/story_137816.shtml

I can't get over this, this looks to be definintely happening! It seems only a week ago or so that Morientes was saying he'd prefer a move to Monaco but now it's looks like Liverpool is where his heart is set on. I wonder have the 'pool tapped him up?

Will be weird seeing Morientes in a Liverpool shirt!! Can't wait, pity he's not eligible for Europe....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

But we might be signing another striker who is able to play for liverpool in europe and has been before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

irishgeo wrote:
    But we might be signing another striker who is able to play for liverpool in europe and has been before.

cryptic. Anelka you mean? Morientes anyday. As a player for our team and as an individual within that team

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He'd be a good signing for Liverpool. He seems to be like the Teddy Sheringham of Spanish football. He has a great footballing brain, his movement off the ball is second to none. He'll be a good signing no matter who plays up front with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

We don't need to restrict ourself by choosing someone who can play champs league this year. We have at most 1/2/3 games left in the CL this season in all fairness.. Morientes is proven at the highest levels across the board so whats the problem..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I feel sorry for poor ole' Mellor, what does he have to do to cement a place in the Liverpool side.

• Advertisement

Play well?

Play well?

I actually don't think thats his style. All he has to do is score. His goal ratio is .4, which isn't bad at all given how recently he stepped up. He's got a month I hope he doesn't make morientes an automatic first choice in that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Morgan has also pulled the plug on his £70m offer to the board.

I also hope Mellor scores a few more over the xmas and gives Benitez another option.

uberwolf wrote:
    I actually don't think thats his style. All he has to do is score. His goal ratio is .4, which isn't bad at all given how recently he stepped up. He's got a month I hope he doesn't make morientes an automatic first choice in that time

nah was being a little sarcastic.. I agree with you actually, he does deserve his shot!!

I don't think Mellor is the player that can play well by standard interpretation. He's ugly on the ball. But he's effective. When I consider Cisses first goal for the pool (i think it was his first),he got in on goal and he just hammeredl, hope for the best, and then you see mellor stroke it in against newcastle. Born to score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

uberwolf wrote:
    He's ugly on the ball. But he's effective. .

And off the ball, Shrek is an Adonis compared to him.;)

I think he could do a good job for the pool , he is a poacher who seems to find himself in the right place in and around the box. He should be given a decent run to see if he can maintain his current form.

The Muppet wrote:
    Shrek

Rooney?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

We have at most 1/2/3 games left in the CL

well we can only have 2/4/6 or 7 left no??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Mellor could learn a lot from a player like morientes in my opinion!
    Hes young and is a good prospect for the next 5 years i believe,morientes will be gone by then if he signs at all!
    We are not that badly off at all in fairness,its benitez first campaign we have some good prospects who can only improve pongolle and mellor can make an impact over time,there is a sniff of confidence from kewell lately and baros is starting to get going!

mayordenis wrote:
    well we can only have 2/4/6 or 7 left no??

huh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

last 16 = 2 (home and away)
    quarters = 2 (h&w)
    semis = 2 (h&w)
    final =1 (neutral venue)

Schoolboy error there jesus ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

morientes is a great player. will do very well for liverpool if they sign him i think. the only problem is that he is pushing on now a bit, surely not more than a couple of seasons left in him.

but still, he would be almost guarenteed to get you (and create) goals. i think he would be well worth the investment. anelka is a moaning b**tard who, while an excellent player, is not very likely to settle in well with everyone currently at the squad. he will more than likely just be a destructive influence on the team....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The type of player that Morientes is (i.e. intelligent, strong, target man) he has at least 3 or 4 years left in him at the top. He is exactly what Liverpool need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

The type of player that Morientes is (i.e. intelligent, strong, target man) he has at least 3 or 4 years left in him at the top. He is exactly what Liverpool need.

maybe he does have that long left in him. either way, i am in total agreement with you that he is exactly what is needed at liverpool at the moment...

B-K-DzR wrote:
    last 16 = 2 (home and away)
    quarters = 2 (h&w)
    semis = 2 (h&w)
    final =1 (neutral venue)

Schoolboy error there jesus ;)

jaysus stress.. was not thinking outside of the box there..

woops..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Ye dont need Morientes or Anelka both are trouble. Neither are scoring goals or are in any sort of form. Morientes was rubbish last season in the Ligue 1 but shone on the Champions League stage which he wont be able to do for the pool if he does join. Anelka simply equals trouble and is not worth the hassle. What you need is someone maybe like Darren Bent looked oustanding against Wigan last night and or maybe if you want a European player go for Jan Koller, can you just imagine what he Baros would be like, they are devastating when the play for the Czech Republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Willem D wrote:
    Morientes was rubbish last season in the Ligue 1
    10 goals and 6 assists in 28 appearances (don't know how many he started). He also got a hatrick against Lyon in the French cup. Its not up to his standards but hardly rubbish.
    http://westham.sporthk.net/morientes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4118031.stm
    Newcastle have joined the race to sign Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes and scupper Liverpool's bid to snap up the player, according to reports.

Liverpool were reported to have bid £3.5m for the 28-year-old Spanish international this week.

But the Liverpool Echo newspaper has said Anfield boss Rafa Benitez will avoid a bidding war and instead turn his attentions to Nicolas Anelka.

Real are believed to still want £7m before selling Morientes.

Monaco are also in the race for the player they had on loan last season.

Reports suggest Liverpool will lift their offer to £5m - the highest they are willing to go before bowing out of any deal.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Unless Newcastle outbid us by a few million I cant really see Morientes joining them over us. It would be easier for him to settle at Anfield than St.James because of the sheer amount of Spaniards at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I've always thought Morientes was over-rated. And I thought he got more credit than he deserved for his performances for Monaco last year.

If he was a Teddy Sheringham type player, then he may well be worth getting. But I dont think he is, IMO he's more of an out and out striker. His strong point is getting on the end of chances, not making chances.

Liverpool need a striker to compliment Baros. I dont think either Morientes or Anelka would do that. Koller would be my first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

...What you need is someone maybe like Darren Bent looked oustanding against Wigan last night and or maybe if you want a European player go for Jan Koller...

I suppose playing outstanding against Wigan... etc in the Championship (First Division) or bringing in another Emile Heskey i.e Jan Koller to the club.. would be a good additions to Liverpool :eek: not.

Liverpool are a big club - they need big names like Morientes.. not first division players or more donkeys...

Morientes is proven in league and international football.. and the type of player liverpool need to freshen up the Liverpool attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Im trying to think of the last time Liverpool had a big strong player up front who could hold the ball up. Collymore? Heskey? Even before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

morientes would be a good buy, a snip at 7m. he moved into france no bother and was on fire for monaco, proving he's not just a one league wonder and can fit into new sides easily.

kwowing liverpool, theyd probably do a swap deal- morientes for baros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Im trying to think of the last time Liverpool had a big strong player up front who could hold the ball up. Collymore? Heskey? Even before?

Not sure how necessary that is these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

He would be better off going back to france

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I read online (cant find source) that four English clubs are interested in signing him. It didn't mention the other three clubs. I'll guess Newcastle, Everton and Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Arsenal? rofl, leagues is the only word that comes to mind.

Morientes is past his best definately, and doesn't preform in the leagues.
    If he can't make it at real Madrid, who Arsenal are probably better than, infact I'd even just go out and say they are better than them, he's not going to make it at Arsenal

I think Morientes agent is proberly looking to maximise the income for him by suggesting a flock of clubs looking to sign him.

Mike.

The rumours today about Aimar are certainly interesting :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

PHB wrote:
    Morientes is past his best definately, and doesn't preform in the leagues.
    If he can't make it at real Madrid, who Arsenal are probably better than, infact I'd even just go out and say they are better than them, he's not going to make it at Arsenal
    Morientes is far from past his best, he's in his prime at the moment - he's 28 years old. The only reason Morientes is not in the Real team is because he is not a global brand name like Ronaldo or Michael Owen.

Originally Morientes was part of the Owen transfer but Camacho had given him assurances that he would play first team football alongside Raul and even played him in the CL game after Perez had given Liverpool assurances that such a thing would not happen. Madrid screwed Liverpool on the transfer and now Liverpool are looking to return the favour. Morientes has 18 months to run on his contract with Madrid, Benitez wants to pay £500K to take him on loan for the rest of the season with an option to buy for £3M. Real say they want £7M and have been touting him to other Premiership clubs - Arsenal, Newcastle and Everton have all been offered the player. Morientes has told Madrid he will only consider joining Liverpool. Perez is paranoid that Benitez, Parry and Morientes will hatch a plan so that Madrid end up with only £500K from the deal. An insight in to how he thinks... Morientes joins Liverpool on loan for the rest of the season, he fails to settle at Liverpool and returns to Madrid with 12 months left on his contract and the following January Morientes is a free agent. The man is just a tad nutty.

The rumours today about Aimar are certainly interesting :)
    If anything happens don't expect him at Anfield before the summer. He's looking for a move because he's not getting football at Valencia due to Ranieri installing an Italian contingent in the team. His agent has made contact with Liverpool because Aimar would like to play for Benitez again. Benitez has told Parry he'd like to sign him if the price is right, but a goal scorer as opposed to creator is the priority for January.

Bannor wrote:
    If anything happens don't expect him at Anfield before the summer. He's looking for a move because he's not getting football at Valencia due to Ranieri installing an Italian contingent in the team. His agent has made contact with Liverpool because Aimar would like to play for Benitez again. Benitez has told Parry he'd like to sign him if the price is right, but a goal scorer as opposed to creator is the priority for January.

its good to have you back dude!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Rumours this morning from Liverpool that Anelka could be coming back in a fee plus swap deal (Mellor). Anelka and Morientes would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Morientes 'will join Liverpool'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4127559.stm

Its not a done deal but he wants to go and liverpool want him. Madrid want to sell so its just a matter of sorting out the details. He should do well for liverpool.

I would not be keen on that,id like to keep mellor in the club and see how he develops i think hes got something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Personally I think Pongolle has more potential then Mellor and it's very quickly going to become a case of who we have room for and who is excess. Should Anelka and Morientes both join then we would have Cisse, Baros, Mellor, Pongolle and also Anelka and Morientes as options up front.

We're never likely to actually have all these players on our books so a balance needs to be found. If we could get Anelka cheap for the sake of Mellor then I think that would be great business. Had Cisse remained fit or Le Tellec stuck around I don't think we would have seen much of Mellor this season. After the transfer window we're not likely to see much either way - basicly his worth now is probably as high as it's ever going to be. He can join City and probably develop his career more then he's likely to at Liverpool.

As I said above I believe FSP is a better prospect - also if he were to be down the pecking order behind Baros, Cisse and Morrientes (and perhaps Anelka) he is in a better position to be used as a wide player also. Basicly if we bring in one or more strikers during the window I don't think we should keep both Mellor and FSP.

[on the other hand we thought we were comfortable for strikers a few months ago with Owen, Cisse and Baros - who could have seen that going up in smoke?]

Its all in the past now and pointless discusion but i reckon we should never have sold owen,we should have sold baros after the euro champ and made a few quid!
    I totaly understand your point about mellor and or pongolle in the sqaud,liverpool cant just keep holding onto strickers,only thing id say on it is pongolle would make a great winger !
    Back to the thread topic yes i want morientes in the side and from reading sporting life today he wants it big time just has to be finalised!
    I still dont ever want anelka to sign for the club no matter what the circumstances thats just my personal dislike of his attitude not his ability!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

With regards Owen, don't think we had a choice

With regards Baros, you're probably right - the money'd be nice right about now. Having said that he's scored quite a few for us this season despite missing part through injury. With Cisse perhaps we may have held back on bringing in a top class replacement.

With regards Morientes, I'll be happy if he signs soon and for cheap. Perez could have a psychotic fit and decide he wants Morientes in the reserves until his contract ends (although as Bannor points out the did screw us over Owen).

With regards Anelka, I was just posting my reaction to Shamrock's post - I'm undecided as to whether it'd be good or bad to have him...

Liverpool's current offer for Anelka is Henchoz plus whatever money Man City owe PSG on the transfer. Don't know how much cash is involved but it's more than £5M. Liverpool are currently the only club in for him, City have been touting him around Europe but nobody is biting. Barcelona said no because they don't want to upset their main man - Anelka didn't get on with Ronaldinho while they were at PSG, Anelka spat the dummy because the Brazilian stole the lime light.

There's bad news about Cisse, he's not expected to return until 2006 at the earliest. The injury is alot more serious than initially diagnosed and Rafa has been told not to expect him back in training before January 2006 if he returns at all. Which would explain why Benitez is after both Morientes and Anelka.

Also been told that Rafa is getting tired of the Steven Gerrard show, he could well be on his way out of Anfield in the summer and it won't be on his terms nor will it be a move to Chelsea or Real Madrid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Bannor wrote:
    There's bad news about Cisse, he's not expected to return until 2006 at the earliest. The injury is alot more serious than initially diagnosed and Rafa has been told not to expect him back in training before January 2006 if he returns at all. Which would explain why Benitez is after both Morientes and Anelka.

give us a link please reports ive heard are contrary to that
    Bannor wrote:
    Also been told that Rafa is getting tired of the Steven Gerrard show, he could well be on his way out of Anfield in the summer and it won't be on his terms nor will it be a move to Chelsea or Real Madrid.

yeah so who will he be going to bolton, norwich??

Bannor wrote:
    What Benitez is saying in public suggests he is more than happy with Gerard's influence.. Who else could buy him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

What Benitez is saying in public suggests he is more than happy with Gerard's influence.. Who else could buy him?

There would be no shortage of takers for Gerrard, Man United or Arsenal if they sold Viera would be possible english moves and I,m sure some of the other big Italian and Spanish clubs would sign him given the chance,

BTW its nice to see you back Bannor.

Bannor wrote:

Hmmm, don't belive that for a minute! (not to say he won't go in the summer if the moneys right though)

Yeah right!
    Madrid general manager Arrigo Sacchi has instructed his directors that he is prepared to accept Liverpool's offer - if they include first refusal on captain Steven Gerrard.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement