Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morientes on Liverpool: "I want it to happen"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

mayordenis wrote:
    give us a link please reports ive heard are contrary to that
    No link - the info came from a Spaniard with close links to Benitez. Cisse reckons that he'll be match fit before the end of the season. According to the person with the information, Cisse doesn't want to allow Baros establish himself as the top striker and wants to give Benitez something to think about before the end of the season. Benitez is happy to let Cisse take his time to recover and then give him the chance to establish himself when the doctors say he's ready. Anelka is a transfer target as insurance on Cisse's recovery. The doctors reckon it'll take at least 12 months for the leg to fully heal itself and that if the leg isn't given the time to recover now then it never will.
    mayordenis wrote:
    yeah so who will he be going to bolton, norwich??
    Barcelona have a transfer budget of €60M for the summer and they're looking for a defensive midfielder. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

I think Cisse will be ready for the start of next season, there's no reason to believe he won't be. Larsson came back quickly and stonger than ever, a testament to the wonders of modern medicine and science.

As for Anelka, maybe it's all a smokescreen in order to get Madrid to sell Morientes at a fair price but I hope we're seriously considering him IN ADDITION to Morientes - I can't see us progressing very far in the Champions League without two decent forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Saw this on the BBC site earlier today, I wonder if there's any truth in it?:

Real reveal Morientes could stay

Real Madrid could block Fernando Morientes' switch to Liverpool if new coach Wanderley Luxemburgo decides he wants to keep the striker.
    Morientes appeared to be on the verge of leaving with Ronaldo, Raul and Michael Owen ahead of him in the squad.

But his agent Gines Carvajal said: "The Real Madrid president (Florentino Perez) has asked us to wait as he wants to know what the new coach decides.

"We should have confirmation of his decision by next week."

Newcastle have also been linked with a move for the Spaniard, but Carvajal insisted he had not spoken directly to any club.

"We have not started negotiations yet but it's true that there are many clubs who have phoned us to seek information about Morientes," said Carvajal.

"But the probable destination is either the Premiership or France because it's impossible for him to stay in Spain."

Liverpool are reported to have made a £3.5m bid for the 28-year-old, which was rejected by the Spanish club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Shred wrote:
    Saw this on the BBC site earlier today, I wonder if there's any truth in it?:

Real reveal Morientes could stay

Real Madrid could block Fernando Morientes' switch to Liverpool if new coach Wanderley Luxemburgo decides he wants to keep the striker.
    Morientes appeared to be on the verge of leaving with Ronaldo, Raul and Michael Owen ahead of him in the squad.

But his agent Gines Carvajal said: "The Real Madrid president (Florentino Perez) has asked us to wait as he wants to know what the new coach decides.

"We should have confirmation of his decision by next week."

Newcastle have also been linked with a move for the Spaniard, but Carvajal insisted he had not spoken directly to any club.

"We have not started negotiations yet but it's true that there are many clubs who have phoned us to seek information about Morientes," said Carvajal.

"But the probable destination is either the Premiership or France because it's impossible for him to stay in Spain."

Liverpool are reported to have made a £3.5m bid for the 28-year-old, which was rejected by the Spanish club.
    But can you see him rating Morientes above any of those players? Possibly Owen? And if he does we will take whichever one he wants to offload instead ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ardent wrote:
    I think Cisse will be ready for the start of next season, there's no reason to believe he won't be. Larsson came back quickly and stonger than ever, a testament to the wonders of modern medicine and science.

Depending on the severity of the break there can be plenty of reasons for it to enforce retirment. Does anyone remember Busst horror injury agains united that ended his career.

Cisses injury looked just as horrific. I wish him a full and speedy recovery but I would not be surprised if we had seen the last of him as a Premiership player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Note to anyone who is relativly new to the forum

Banner has been around for quite some time and although he has no linked sources, he normally has valid information.

----

In regards to Gerrard, I'm 100% sure Man Utd would give all they could if they could get him to come to Utd, but he is a Liverpool man through and through, and I'm fairly sure Ferige has said "we've done everything, the boy just doesn't want to come to united"
    If thats the case, probably best that he doesn't :)

But can you see him rating Morientes above any of those players? Possibly Owen? And if he does we will take whichever one he wants to offload instead ;)

Personally I reckon it's just Real trying to force Liverpool into offering more if it's true, he's apparently made up his mind that he wants to go and it would be unusual for a club to keep a player against his will. Having said that I do think Morientes would stay if he got a 100% assurance from Real that he would play regularly for them. He got that from Camacho and then he quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

But can you see him rating Morientes above any of those players? Possibly Owen? And if he does we will take whichever one he wants to offload instead

Transfer regulations mean Owen can't return to Anfield until the summer, so hopefully Luxemburgo will favour Owen and Morientes and Rafa will bring either Raul or Ronaldo to Anfield. I can dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

PHB wrote:
    Note to anyone who is relativly new to the forum

Banner has been around for quite some time and although he has no linked sources, he normally has valid information.
    Damn right. Bannor usually has the straight dope, the good skinny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Bannor wrote:
    Barcelona have a transfer budget of €60M for the summer and they're looking for a defensive midfielder. ;)
    Where the fúck are they getting all the cash? I thought a season or so back they were up shít creek financially then they bought Ronaldino and then a host of good lads last summer.

I don't get it. Do they have a city centre training ground they can sell for twice it's value? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

DapperGent wrote:
    Where the fúck are they getting all the cash? I thought a season or so back they were up shít creek financially then they bought Ronaldino and then a host of good lads last summer.

I don't get it. Do they have a city centre training ground they can sell for twice it's value? :)

No but they do have 150,000 members than pay an annual subscription

BolBill wrote:
    No but they do have 150,000 members than pay an annual subscription

Annual subscription to what!!!

I think Anelka is going to go to them...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Less than reliable sources claim that Fernando Morientes has visited Melwood this week.

The Spanish striker and his agent Gines Carvaj have allegedly been in talks with Liverpool about a January move to Anfield.

Morientes has now flown back to Madrid, leaving Carvaj in Liverpool to continue talks.

We emphasise that we cannot verify the credibility of these claims at this time.

http://www.lfconline.com/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=197518

Ardent wrote:
    Annual subscription to what!!!

I think Anelka is going to go to them...

Ever been a member of anything????????????????, well you PAY what is known as a SUBSCIPTION (or SUB) every year as do the 150,000 members of FCBARCELONA!!! :rolleyes:
    , hence they will always have dosh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well he played for real madrid tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Leonard wrote:
    The match was 6 minutes long - hopefully Morientes has more sense then to think that Luxembergo will pick him ahead of Ronaldo (Brazillian), Owen, Raul and whatever other strikers get brought in when the big games start coming round.

He won't be going anywhere if Real get their way:

MADRID BOSS: I DON'T WANT TO HELP OUR RIVALS

From Liverpoolfc.tv:

New Real Madrid boss Wanderley Luxemburgo has insisted he doesn't want to sell Fernando Morientes to Liverpool.
    Morientes is keen to team up with Rafael Benitez at Anfield after becoming disillusioned with his lack of first team opportunities at the Bernabeu, but Luxemburgo says he doesn't want to help a rival Champions League club by selling them one of his star strikers.

"I don't like reinforcing the rivals," he said. "Morientes joining Liverpool will be like helping an enemy.

"I want to speak with Morientes, to know what he is thinking. Later I will meet the club and we will decide."

Morientes, meanwhile, played for Madrid in their 'six minute match' against Real Soceidad last night when a last gasp Zinedine Zidane penalty secured the points for the home side.

We're barely good enough these days to be considered rivals to Arsenal, ManU and Chelsea, maybe we should build our new ground in Spain? It'd be cheaper, the manager and half the team's spanish already and now we have the whole RM rivalry thing going on :D

Leonard wrote:

Things are not looking good all of a sudden. As pete said, hopefully Morientes will not be foolish enough to stay at Madrid. The fact that he played last night is not a good sign - it seems Luxemburgo wants to keep him and you'd think he wouldn't field a player who's on the verge of leaving the club. This, added to the rumours that Morientes was in talks with Lyon, suggests his transfer to Liverpool is anything but nailed on.

Goddamn it to hell! I can see it now - Morientes to stay at Madrid and Anelka moves to Newcastle...

• Advertisement

Quote from a BBC story
    Benitez said: "Everyone in Spain is on holiday at the moment, but I believeafter the weekend that we will have some positive news.

"Morientes is still a possibility."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I still think Morientes will leave RM this month for Liverpool. Luxemburgo just trying to push up the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i think its dead in the water, new manager new agenda, and i dont think luxemburgo likes owen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

VinnyL wrote:
    i think its dead in the water, new manager new agenda, and i dont think luxemburgo likes owen...

I don't see that as a problem! ;) Seriously though if he was for sale at say 6 million I'd buy him back. Rafa would make him a first rate striker again.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

mike65 wrote:
    I don't see that as a problem! ;) Seriously though if he was for sale at say 6 million I'd buy him back. Rafa would make him a first rate striker again.

Mike.
    Owen is and always has been a first rate striker,liverpools biggest mistake since the selling on of robbie fowler...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

Mikey never stopped being a first rate striker. He's a big game player which is something every team needs. Whenever we were DEPERATE for a goal he steeped up. While not as naturally gifted as either Fowler or Rush he's defo better than anything we have now. I'd love to see him back at anfield with Aimar playing just behind him. Although i would take Morientes too. And Anelka. And maybe Andy Johnston although only in a swap deal for Diao and a bit of cash. Two birds - one stone. Blammo!

Owen is and always has been a first rate striker,liverpools biggest mistake since the selling on of robbie fowler...

First off, the sale of Fowler was not a mistake. As you can see with your own two eyes since he left the club. In fact, 12 million for him was an inspired piece of business.

Secondly, the sale of Owen was not a mistake either. It was either sell him for whatever we could get or the runt was going to walk out on a Bosman the following summer.

Ardent wrote:
    First off, the sale of Fowler was not a mistake. As you can see with your own two eyes since he left the club. In fact, 12 million for him was an inspired piece of business.

Secondly, the sale of Owen was not a mistake either. It was either sell him for whatever we could get or the runt was going to walk out on a Bosman the following summer.

Agree on both counts.

Also like the Glengarry signature.

Morientes to Liverpool is pretty much dead for now. The player has spoken to both Perez and the new manager regarding his place in the team. Luxemburgo has told him that there quite a few tough matches in the next month and that they're going to need a player like Morientes if they are going to qualify for the Champions League this season. There is a genuine fear at the club that they won't qualify for the competition next season without winning it this year. Perez has suspended the rule whereby if the Galaticos can walk then they're on the team sheet so Luxemburgo has free reign on picking the team for the rest of the season or until Perez changes his mind again. My guess is that Real will be whipping crosses in to the box for Morientes during the next month or so until they secure their position in La Liga after which he'll be on his arse again.

For now Anelka and Andy Johnson of Crystal Palace are the two strikers that the club are looking at.

Benitez had been watching three English players with a view to strengthening the team in the summer: Ledley King, Shaun Wright-Philips and Andy Johnson (Tord Grip recommended him to Benitez after Owen moved to Madrid). Spurs are willing to sell King but there has been no talk of a fee. City want silly money for SWP so Benitez has gone for a cheaper alternative in Spain. There's a bid of €11M in for Daniel Alves of Sevilla (sort of a young right sided Roberto Carlos). Prior to the injury situation Andy Johnson was originally meant to be a target for the summer but they've decided to bring forward the move - representatives of the club have been meeting with the player and his agent this week.

Bannor wrote:
    Morientes to Liverpool is pretty much dead for now. The player has spoken to both Perez and the new manager regarding his place in the team. Luxemburgo has told him that there quite a few tough matches in the next month and that they're going to need a player like Morientes if they are going to qualify for the Champions League this season. There is a genuine fear at the club that they won't qualify for the competition next season without winning it this year. Perez has suspended the rule whereby if the Galaticos can walk then they're on the team sheet so Luxemburgo has free reign on picking the team for the rest of the season or until Perez changes his mind again. My guess is that Real will be whipping crosses in to the box for Morientes during the next month or so until they secure their position in La Liga after which he'll be on his arse again.

For now Anelka and Andy Johnson of Crystal Palace are the two strikers that the club are looking at.

Benitez had been watching three English players with a view to strengthening the team in the summer: Ledley King, Shaun Wright-Philips and Andy Johnson (Tord Grip recommended him to Benitez after Owen moved to Madrid). Spurs are willing to sell King but there has been no talk of a fee. City want silly money for SWP so Benitez has gone for a cheaper alternative in Spain. There's a bid of €11M in for Daniel Alves of Sevilla (sort of a young right sided Roberto Carlos). Prior to the injury situation Andy Johnson was originally meant to be a target for the summer but they've decided to bring forward the move - representatives of the club have been meeting with the player and his agent this week.

I don't know if you are making all this up or if you genuinely know what's going on behind the scenes. I've heard about the Johnson link alright. Assuming for a moment you are telling the truth - are Liverpool looking to sign one of either Anelka or Johnson, or is the club looking to sign both?

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote:
    I don't know if you are making all this up or if you genuinely know what's going on behind the scenes. I've heard about the Johnson link alright. Assuming for a moment you are telling the truth - are Liverpool looking to sign one of either Anelka or Johnson, or is the club looking to sign both?
    I thank him for providing the info he has - he doesn't have to. My guess would be that it would depend on how negotiations go and how much money we have available, so basicly 2 would be nice but probably 1.
    Maybe Morientes on a free in the Summer?

p.pete wrote:
    Maybe Morientes on a free in the Summer?

Why would he be let go for free, I thought he has 18 months left on his contract as it stands?

Shred wrote:
    Why would he be let go for free, I thought he has 18 months left on his contract as it stands?
    Hmmm, that'd pretty much rule that one out then. Seriously though - he'd still be worth getting in the Summer even though we desperately need strikers now and depending on who Luxembergo gets to buy (Rubinho maybe) Morientes will still hopefully want to leave.

They're looking to sign both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

Hmmm all we need now is to convince Palace that Diao will solve whatever midfield problems they have and we'll be laughing. I'd honestly rather Johnson and Anelka to Morientes on his own.

After Benitez took over as manager and Cisse signed, Baros threw a wobbler in a meeting with Benitez demanding a first team place. Benitez told him that no striker was guaranteed their place and that the squad would be rotated, if he wanted that guarantee then find another club. As luck would have it his agent had already done a deal with Barcelona, but when it came to a fee for the player Liverpool wanted €23M, Barca didn't have the funds so Baros crawled back in to line.

Prior to the Owen's contract saga taking place Benitez had contacted Madrid about signing Morientes. The plan was to sell Baros after a replacement was secured.

Then the Owen contract came to a crunch - He too wanted guaranteed first team football as well as a say in team selections. Owen and his agent tried to bluff Benitez and Parry by saying Barca and Real are offering this, that and the other. Benitez knew they were bluffing and made a point of phoning Real to tell them that Owen was available for transfer. Morientes was supposed to be part of the deal but Camacho messed it up with assurances of first team football and cup-tieing him for the Champions League.

Tord Grip recommended Johnson as a replacement for Owen and Benitez has had his eye on him since. Morientes was then a target for the transfer January window.

Cisse went and crocked his leg and we're in trouble. The thing is, Benitez has never wanted Cisse, when he signed as manager he was allowed to scrap all of Houllier's transfer deals except for that one. Pako has said that given time the bone in his leg will heal and be alot stronger than the leg was originally but Cisse also damaged the joint which is a different matter. Walking isn't going to be a problem but running on a football pitch could well be, how much so they won't know until it happens but they want him to rest the leg for 12 months. Cisse has other ideas, he's already walking on the leg and intends to declare himself fit to play for the last month of the season. Prior to the injury there was no talk of Anelka. Personally I think Anelka is the insurance policy on Cisse's leg. Anelka is a proven Premiership goal scorer that can secure the Champions League spot without risking Cisse this season.

I expect Benitez to attempt to sign Morientes in the summer for a nominal fee and Baros to be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I think this is gret information keep it comming bannor excellent stuff!

Some good stuff there bannor. I heard that Owen initially said to Rafa that he needed time to think about signing a contract because it had all happened so quickly. Apparently Rafa then asked him why his agent was trying to sell him to HIM when he was manager of VALENCIA for the past year :).

I reckon Baros will go too.

from mail
    Liverpool land £6m Morientes
    by SIMON CASS and COLIN WOOD, Daily Mail

13:39pm 8th January 2005

Liverpool last night finally agreed a £6million fee with Real Madrid for Spain striker Fernando Morientes.

The protracted transfer could be completed this weekend after Liverpool were forced to go beyond the £5m limit they had set to land their top target.

Morientes, 28, had wanted to link up with former Valencia coach Rafael Benitez at Anfield after having failed to secure a single start with Real in this season's Spanish league. Benitez was determined to bolster his strike force in the transfer window after losing summer signing

Djibril Cisse for the rest of the season with a broken leg.

Coincidentally, it was the arrival of former Anfield hero Michael Owen at the Bernabeu which saw Morientes, last season's Champions League top scorer while on loan at Monaco, starved of opportunities.

Real had been hoping to secure first option on any move for Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard as part of the Morientes deal but Anfield chief executive Rick Parry ruled that out, even though he had to go beyond his initial budget.

Liverpool, whose FA Cup thirdround tie at Burnley was called off last night because of a waterlogged pitch, will initially pay £4.5m, with a further £1.5m to follow over the next two years.

Benitez is also talking to Real about their reserve goalkeeper Cesar. Chris Kirkland is out for three months after back surgery and Benitez wants to take Cesar, 32, on loan for the rest of the season.

The Morientes move rules out a possible bolt-hole for Nicolas Anelka, whose Manchester City career appears to be over after manager Kevin Keegan finally lost patience with the temperamental striker. Keegan is angry that the sullen Frenchman refused to make himself available for Tuesday's 1-1 draw against Arsenal. He has now admitted he would sell Anelka, 25, if the club receive the right bid.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update Mike.

I have mixed feelings about this. At first, I was made up about us signing Morientes, he's a quality player who'll add an extra dimsension to the team, no doubt about it. But the longer the whole saga dragged on, I was leaning more towards the idea of signing Anelka, someon who is, shall we say, temperamental but who is also a quality player and eligible to play in europe.

Football365 claim that Fenehrbace are it talks with Anelka. I hope Benitez still has plans to sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Morientes will be one of the best strikers in England, probably second only to Henry really. He's so ideally suited to the style of play in the league and playing with someone like Baros too. The evertonians will feel very ripped off now Liverpool get Morientes for the same price they got Beattie.

It's mentioned on the text on Sky sports too, fingers crossed it's true

It's not a done deal. The final offer from Liverpool was to accept all of Madrids conditions and add a few more themselves. So Madrid will get first option on Gerrard and £6.5M for Morientes, Benitez wants a keeper thrown in as part of the deal either Cesar or Diego Lopez, and Liverpool to have first option on all of Madrid's young players for the next five years. Madrid have agreed to the terms for now, they are willing to allow Cesar to leave as part of the deal but they are having trouble convincing the player to go. If the deal goes through the money involved will cancel out that owed on the Owen transfer.

According to interview today Rafa is going to give Real two days to bite or he'll turn his attention to either
    Anelka or Andy Johnson.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

mike65 wrote:
    According to interview today Rafa is going to give Real two days to bite or he'll turn his attention to either
    Anelka or Andy Johnson.

Mike.

i really hope we dont sign anelka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Expect to see Mori in a Liverpool shirt before the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

irishgeo wrote:
    Expect to see Mori in a Liverpool shirt before the weekend.

be a nice half time in meh exams to see that :)

/me wills it to happen

There is an agreement on a contract between Liverpool and Morientes : five year deal, £43K a week.

Madrid are dragging their heels, apparently they are offering the agent handling the transfer an extra €1M bonus if he gets them more than €10M for the transfer so he's off trying to get other clubs interested.

Cheers Bannor - also I read that Cesar rejected Liverpools first offer of contract though I wouldn't blame him if it was for only 6 months as reported.

Bannor wrote:
    There is an agreement on a contract between Liverpool and Morientes : five year deal, £43K a week.

Madrid are dragging their heels, apparently they are offering the agent handling the transfer an extra €1M bonus if he gets them more than €10M for the transfer so he's off trying to get other clubs interested.

That would mean Morientes is open to the idea of going to other clubs, otherwise his agent wouldn't be courting them. Meanwhile, Benitez believes/claims that Morientes wants to join Liverpool.

Very surprised that Liverpool would offer Morientes a 5 year deal, considering he's 28 and also considering that 5 year deals are not really in vogue right now. Many clubs have become prudent about offering contracts of such length due to the current financial climate in the game. He'd be 33 by the time his contract is up, a bit of a gamble IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement