Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS proposes Green-card-type system for non-EU workers

Options
  • 21-12-2004 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Regarding FAS's report a few days ago saying that we should introduce a US-style Green Card system allowing non-EU workers to move from whatever job they like to any other job they like without restriction, I am curious as to what you people here think of this.

We should oppose this idea. FAS's urging for this is based on a vague assumption that the influx from the new EU member-states in Eastern Europe MIGHT not be sufficient to fill vacancies caused by supposed Irish labour shortages. The FAS spokesman on RTE News the other day was asked this question i.e. did he believe that immigration from the new Eastern European states would be insufficient to fill the vacancies, and interestingly, he replied that FAS wasn't sure/certain.

Thus, for this, and other reasons which I will now outline, the introduction of a Green Card would be premature. Expectations have proven unfounded in the past. When I voted for the Nice Treaty, I expected the Government to implement the same controls on immigration as other EU states. The fact that this has not happened has led to 50,000 people from the new EU states coming here in the 6 months since enlargement. We know now from media coverage that most of these most certainly were not already here when Enlargement started. They were not just people already here regularising their status. 50,000 per six months = 100,000 per annum. 100,000 per annum for 34 years = 3.4 million. 3.4 million + the 300,000 non-nationals here now = 3.7 million. Thus, Irish people would become a minority in their own country in 34 years. This is NOT acceptable to the Irish people.

Yet despite these statistical facts, there is still pressure from the Irish Left and those in Irish business clamouring for cheap, sweatshop labour from the poorer regions of the world. Bertie said he was opposed to a "race to the bottom" some time ago. If this is so, then I urge him to stand up to the pressure of the Leftists and fatcats! Our unemployment rate has been stuck on 4.3% since we started this policy of mass migration via work-permits. 40,000 per annum have been let in that way for the last 3 or 4 years. Is Michael Martin going to continue Mary Harney's policy of handing out work-permits like there's no tommorrow? He should not. It will only further dilute our national identity and lead to yet more foreign workers being treated like slaves by some Irish employers.

Also, remember that the US Green card system allows foreigners to enter the job market for all jobs, not just those where Irish skill-shortages pertain. This is particularly unacceptable to me, since it would certainly cause many Irish people to lose out to foreigners from outside the EU who would naturally work for less than Irish workers. We have to put Irish people first in terms of jobs vacancies. Charity begins at home. Let's oppose this daft proposal. The ethnic tensions in Ukraine, with Russian-speaking regions threatening to break away, should act as a reminder that multiculturalism can be a double-edged sword.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I don't think you know what a green card is. GC is a preamble to becoming a US citizen (for example you can't spend most of your time in Ireland if you have a green card). Also you can't get a green card that easy. Barring lottery you generally have to have good skills/resources to give the US to get the green card (or spend X amount of years in the US). You certainly wouldn't get an influx of cheap unskilled labour.

I think you are more referring it to a work visa which allows people to change jobs.

So which are you talking about? Have you the actual bill details in question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Thus, Irish people would become a minority in their own country in 34 years. This is NOT acceptable to the Irish people.

Oh jesus christ on a rubber crutch...not this again. :eek:
    Also, remember that the US Green card system allows foreigners to enter the job market for all jobs, not just those where Irish skill-shortages pertain. This is particularly unacceptable to me, since it would certainly cause many Irish people to lose out to foreigners from outside the EU who would naturally work for less than Irish workers.

If these foreignors are legally working in the country then why would they be working for less than an Irish person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

If these foreignors are legally working in the country then why would they be working for less than an Irish person?

Because even earning less than an Irish person is still earning a fortune compared to these poor countries. They would be vastly better off but still earning less than us. Why do you think these businesses are wanting them so badly?
    I don't think you know what a green card is. GC is a preamble to becoming a US citizen (for example you can't spend most of your time in Ireland if you have a green card). Also you can't get a green card that easy. Barring lottery you generally have to have good skills/resources to give the US to get the green card (or spend X amount of years in the US). You certainly wouldn't get an influx of cheap unskilled labour.

Hobbes, as I understand it, the kind of Green card being requested for introduction by FAS would allow people to change jobs irrespective of whether or not a skills-shortage pertained in that employment sector.

We are already getting an influx from Eastern Europe. 50,000 per 6 months = 100,000 a year = 3 million in 30 years. I bet that if that happens the usual suspects will be whining again about the 'need' for more foreign labour.

Do you approve of allowing non-EU nationals unrestricted access to the Irish labour market?

Because even earning less than an Irish person is still earning a fortune compared to these poor countries.

If they are here legally they can't be earning less then minimum wage and even then work visas still require that the job in question is filled by a local first (except for certain kinds).
    Hobbes, as I understand it, the kind of Green card being requested for introduction by FAS would allow people to change jobs irrespective of whether or not a skills-shortage pertained in that employment sector.

Which is what a green card allows you to do. However I will say again, a green card cannot be compared to a work visa, even if that work visa allows the movement to other jobs.

Anyway if they are here legally then they are paying taxes. Whats the problem?

We are already getting an influx from Eastern Europe. 50,000 per 6 months = 100,000 a year = 3 million in 30 years. I bet that if that happens the usual suspects will be whining again about the 'need' for more foreign labour.

I am pretty sure you got debunked on this before, but mind posting where you dug that total out?
    Do you approve of allowing non-EU nationals unrestricted access to the Irish labour market?

If they are here legally, pay taxes then sure why not? People aren't going to come here to be pay the price they were in their own country.

I am more worried that work would be outsourced out of the country then more work then we can fill in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

What about Australians or Americans or Canadians, do they not work here? They are non eu citizens too. This just sounds like Xenophobia to say that the workforce of "insert poor countries name here" will appear on our shore in mass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Also, remember that the US Green card system allows foreigners to enter the job market for all jobs, not just those where Irish skill-shortages pertain.

No it isn't anything to do with migration for jobs, it's mostly for citizenship purposes as there are plenty of other visa categories for jobs and work.

1. US Green Card:
    This allows the carrier permanent residency - they can stay and work and live as long as they want, without any restrictions bar some voting limitations. They do not have to become US citizens.

2. Work Visa:
    In the US this is either of the H1B type or J type (there are many, these are the most common). The H1B is a preferential employment type of visa where the employer applies for the visa on behalf of the non-citizen/resident worker. That H1B is valid for 3 years, renewable for another 3 max and is only valid as long as the employee worker stays with that company who sponsored it. This gave rise to the "slave labour" idea that the worker cannot leave his job even with bad conditions as then within 10 days he becomes visa invalid and must depart US or get 10 year ban on entry.

Getting a Green Card:
    There are many methods.
    1. Lottery: 55,000 every year (apply now! 2006 expires by Dec 31st!)
    2. Work: preferntially based on level of qualification and needs of the state/US. E.g., Cateogory 1 is like STephen Hawking, reknowned pHDs, etc., . Level 2 is high postgraduate qualifications and so on down to actor, musician (yes, great as they are there are already plenty there!).
    3. Family and so on.

Up until 1990 GC were attributed on work needs - doctors, etc., were given preference. It's more neutral now.

I would think that the idea of a longer term e.g., 5 year work visa for Ireland would be a good idea. It would possibly allow for the worker to move jobs and stop slave labour/indentured visa servants, allow for proper control of immigration and also perhaps lead to a more stabilised pathway to permanent irish residency without the current fiasco.

What about Australians or Americans or Canadians, do they not work here? They are non eu citizens too. This just sounds like Xenophobia to say that the workforce of "insert poor countries name here" will appear on our shore in mass.

But there is no overwhelming economic incentive for vast numbers of migrants to come here from those and other rich countries in the vast majority of cases, and you should know that.

Again the X word is used. But using it is just emotional blackmail whererby anyone opposed to liberal immigration policies is tarred with the Nazi/KKK/BNP brush. This was tried in the Citizenship referendum when those on the "Yes" side were constantly called racists, and those doing that got their answer from the people!

We are not opposed to SOME immigration, but the process most be regulated and strictly controlled. The ethnic problems of other countries defy the routine fairytale from the do-gooders who tell us that intentional policies of mass-migration will "enrich our society" and that the immigrants will "integrate". Look at the problems in Ukraine, where the Russian-speaking population is 40%+, and is threatening civil war and the breakup of the country if Yanuckovych is not elected president in a few days. Look also at Sudan, and note that those who carried out the Madrid terror attacks in March this year were Moroccan immigrants. It doesn't take very many people to carry out a Madrid, but we are being pressured into accepting mass-migration from the Islamic world, in spite of the support for Islamofascist terrorism among a large minority of that population. Remember the opinion poll recently where Muslims called Osama Bin Laden one of their most admired 'statesmen"? Remember the TV pictures of tens of thousands of Pakistanis demonstrating and carrying pictures of OBL?

Oil and water does not mix well, and neither, unfortunately, do certain cultures. The ex-wife of a member of the Bin Laden family gave an interview on a program some time ago talking about the hatred of Western cultural values within the Islamic world. Of course there are some exceptions, but on balance I feel that most of the Muslim world is currently in a phase similar to Europe hundreds of years ago when everyone was obsessed with religion and people were persecuted on religious grounds. Hence, is it really such a good idea to invite people with this mindset into our country? It only takes 1 to carry out a terrible attrocity. Enriching is not the word that springs to mind. Reckless idealism flying in the face of logic is a better description I surmise. The spread of democracy across the Muslim world would seem to be to be a prerequisite for liberalising immigration policy significantly with respect to Islamic immigration. Such a spread should ultimately lead to the flowering of Western, democratic, liberal values. Unfortunately, there are only 3 Muslim democracies in the whole world now. So we'll be waiting a long time.

Regarding non-Islamic immigration, I have always stated my belief that where necessary to fill vacancies caused by Irish labour-shortages, they should be let in. My concern about the Green Card system is that it will lead to foreign competition for jobs in parts of industry not experiencing labour-shortage problems, thereby keep Irish wages lower than would otherwise be the case.

Regarding someone here asking me for statistical evidence to back up what I am saying, we KNOW that 50,000 came here from the applicant states. There is no way that most of those could be persons simply "regularising" their status who were here already. I heard this on RTE Fivesevenlive recently (I think in the last week or 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Because even earning less than an Irish person is still earning a fortune compared to these poor countries. They would be vastly better off but still earning less than us. Why do you think these businesses are wanting them so badly?

this foreigner thinks you are a racist bigot, get a clue, and come out of the cave you are living in.

You just seem horribly self-centered. What is the problem? YOu can't compete for jobs with other people because they are more hard working or skilled than you?

Regarding someone here asking me for statistical evidence to back up what I am saying, we KNOW that 50,000 came here from the applicant states.

If WE KNOW I would not of asked you would I? Dig out an official count there, seeing as you KNOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The ex-wife of a member of the Bin Laden family gave an interview on a program some time ago talking about the hatred of Western cultural values within the Islamic world.
    So that makes her an expert on the entire Islamic world then?
    Of course there are some exceptions
    Of course there is, there's over 1 billion Muslims spread across the world, if you thought any different you'd just be stereotyping them. And I'm sure you're not sterotyping, right?
    but on balance I feel that most of the Muslim world is currently in a phase similar to Europe hundreds of years ago when everyone was obsessed with religion and people were persecuted on religious grounds.
    What are you basing this on? Have you ever met a Muslim, let alone been to a Muslim country?
    Hence, is it really such a good idea to invite people with this mindset into our country?
    How do you propose doing that? Ask on the visa application "Are you a terrorist?" Or should we just stop all Muslims coming into the country? But that would be a racist stance to take wouldn't it? And you're not racsist, right?
    It only takes 1 to carry out a terrible attrocity.
    So we should activley discriminate against 1/6th of the world's population just in case?
    Enriching is not the word that springs to mind. Reckless idealism flying in the face of logic is a better description I surmise.
    I think paranoia bordering on bigotry is a better description really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

It only takes 1 to carry out a terrible attrocity.
    That's what I said to Vlad Putin in the pub the other day when he asked me for advice on his Chechnya policy. Take the gloves off Mr.P!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Or should we just stop all Muslims coming into the country? But that would be a racist stance to take wouldn't it?.
    Technically, no it wouldn't be.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Technically, no it wouldn't be.
    Technically no, but it would certainly be against our "Western, democratic, liberal values" (his words) would it not?

Memnoch wrote:
    this foreigner thinks you are a racist bigot, get a clue, and come out of the cave you are living in.

You just seem horribly self-centered. What is the problem? YOu can't compete for jobs with other people because they are more hard working or skilled than you?

Then you are wrong. Restricting immigration is not racist or bigoted. It simply recognises:

A:The problems certain ethnic groups have with each other, e.g. Kashmir, Ukraine, Chechnya, Bosnia, Kosovo.

B:The duty of all governments to look after their own first.

I am not saying that foreigners would or wouldn't work harder. That isn't my point. My point is that foreigners from poor countries are bound to be more atractive to an employer in Ireland based on them being cheaper to employ than Irish workers. And that threatens Irish jobs unless such immigrants are specifically matched with parts of industry experiencing genuine labour-shortages. Sadly, what FAS is calling for seems to amount to taking the question of labour-shortages out of the equation by letting non-EU immigrants work in whatever job they like.
    Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    it would certainly be against our "Western, democratic, liberal values" (his words) would it not?

No. The recent assassination of a Dutch filmaker who exposed the massive violations of women's rights in Islamic culture has made many Dutch people question their traditionally liberal immigration policy. Also, look at the situation in Britain where Sikh extremists have forced a play to be cancelled. And let's not forget the fatwah calling on Muslims across the world to kill Salman Rushdie for writing a book. I feel that our liberal, democratic Western tradition will come under threat if we let into our midst too many of those for whom Western values are repugnant. When they get the vote here politicians of a fundamentalist bent may come to power. We MUST prevent this because it took centuries for us to get the democratic liberal society we now reside in.

Restricting immigration is not racist or bigoted.
    It is when you are proposing to limit/restrict certain groups from coming here based on their religion/ethnicity/race.
    You are proposing 2 out of those 3 are you not?

It is when you are proposing to limit/restrict certain groups from coming here based on their religion/ethnicity/race.
    You are proposing 2 out of those 3 are you not?

No I am proposing restricting immigration based on skills, i.e. on the basis of whether or not the immigrants have the skills needed due to labour-shortages. The Green card idea (whatever about the US version of it) by FAS seems to want immigration for its own sake.

No I am proposing restricting immigration based on skills, i.e. on the basis of whether or not the immigrants have the skills needed due to labour-shortages. The Green card idea (whatever about the US version of it) by FAS seems to want immigration for its own sake.
    You're contradicting yourself now, do you need to have what you've just posted earlier in thread quoted back at you?
    The actions of a handful of extremists can hardly be justification for mass discrimination.
    Western people commit crimes too you know.
    [OPINION]And btw. that short by Van Gogh hardly "exposed" anything, it just rehashed centuries of sterotypical views of Muslims and their religion.[/OPINION]

You're contradicting yourself now, do you need to have what you've just posted earlier in thread quoted back at you?
    The actions of a handful of extremists can hardly be justification for mass discrimination.
    Western people commit crimes too you know.
    [OPINION]And btw. that short by Van Gogh hardly "exposed" anything, it just rehashed centuries of sterotypical views of Muslims and their religion.[/OPINION]

Van Gogh was actually exposing the endemic persecution of women in many Islamic societies, with their barbaric practices of wifebeating and honour-killings. For this he paid with his life. It shows how alien the Western ideas of freedom of speech, gender-equality, and democracy are to so many Muslims. Most Turks are probably an exception because of the massive secularisation drive of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk and his successors in the 20th century, but even there you will find widespread support for so-called "honour-killings" in the southeastern Kurdish areas. The fact that most Muslim states are tyrannies where women have little or no rights, where there are no elections or else rigged ones, and where you can be executed for changing religion, illustrates that our values are very different to theirs, and it illustrates the problems that make integration of Muslim immigrants into Western societies so difficult.

It shows how alien the Western ideas of freedom of speech, gender-equality, and democracy are to so many Muslims
    No it does not, it shows that one extremist decided he was judge, jury and executioner.
    You're using extreme examples and overused/outdated sterotypes to justify state sponsored bigotry. If we went down the lines you're suggesting what would differentiate us from all those "unenlightened" countries you're so worried about?
    Maybe you should try looking at Muslims as people rather than a threat.

really so your restriction also applies to EU? Irish people then?

No? I didn't think so.

Using country of origin instead of skin colour is a very thin veil, and really no different. You are trying to discriminate against people based on something beyond their control, i.e. their place of birth. THis is no different than discriminating against someone because of their skin color.

You are most certainly a narrow-minded bigot. But its okay, I dont' expect you to admit it. When was the last time a racist was happy to admit his bigotry when confornted with it? Those who discriminate never think they are doing wrong.

You sicken me to my very core. You are born with a silver spoon in your mouth so you want to deny less fortunate people the opportunity to raise themselves, to maintain your status quo? How much more selfish can one get?

If "foreigners" are working honestly and paying taxes I see no reason why they should not be entitled to the same benefits, rights and protection by the government when compared to anyone else.

I mean what have you got over them? that you are BORN here? And you say this is NOT discrimination?

It must be wonderful to be so blissfully ignorant and miopic at the same time. But as with all racists throughout history, I'm simply wasting my time on you, so I won't even begin to tear down your ill founded generalisations about muslims.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

The fact that most Muslim states are tyrannies where women have little or no rights, where there are no elections or else rigged ones, and where you can be executed for changing religion, illustrates that our values are very different to theirs, and it illustrates the problems that make integration of Muslim immigrants into Western societies so difficult.

It might demonstrate our very different STATED values to theirs had it not been for the historic and continuing support of our much vaunted western leaders for said oppressive Muslim states. But I guess you just "forgot 'bout all that".

Memnoch wrote:
    really so your restriction also applies to EU? Irish people then?

No? I didn't think so.

Well with respect to the EU-15, there is no need to restrict on citizens of those countries from coming here, since they are economically at least as well off or close to our level of prosperity here in Ireland, hence there is not going to be a stampede of people from those countries heading for Ireland. With respect to the new EU member states, I actually do want to see Ireland impose the same restrictions that 13 of the original 15 EU member states have done. If you think that is racist and "bigoted" then you must also accuse these countries of being racist too. Are you making that accusation? You can't believe one without the other. :p
    Using country of origin instead of skin colour is a very thin veil, and really no different. You are trying to discriminate against people based on something beyond their control, i.e. their place of birth. THis is no different than discriminating against someone because of their skin color.

Having any restrictions at all on immigration must then be racist by your definition of that term. After all, you are saying there should be no discrimination against foreigners with respect to attaining entry into Ireland, access to our labour-market, and access to our services, including the state-provided services of health-care, electricity etc. Thus, every country in the world is apparently racist as far as you are concerned. Must be great being on higher moral ground than everyone else. :rolleyes:
    You are most certainly a narrow-minded bigot. But its okay, I dont' expect you to admit it. When was the last time a racist was happy to admit his bigotry when confornted with it? Those who discriminate never think they are doing wrong.

I won't admit to being a bigot because I am not. But I will admit that I favour immigration-discrimination based on skills. The social-welfare system will collapse otherwise under the weight of those who would flock to Ireland for our social-welfare system, as would the Health-Service under the weight of endless new patients, and don't even start me about the consequences for congestion on the roads, which is already bad enough. :mad:
    You sicken me to my very core. You are born with a silver spoon in your mouth so you want to deny less fortunate people the opportunity to raise themselves, to maintain your status quo? How much more selfish can one get?

No I certainly don't begrudge immigrants needed to fill job vacancies caused by GENUINE skills-shortages in the Irish economy. They can come provided someone suitable cannot be found in Ireland and the EU. It is a bit hard to believe that with 50,000 Eastern European EU citizens having come here in the past 6 months, that we can't find sufficient workers among those number, especially when that equates to 100,000 per annum. 100,000 per annum over 35 years would yield a foreign majority in Ireland - and that's BEFORE this proposed Green Card comes in! Come on man, we are entitled to be the majority in our own country!
    If "foreigners" are working honestly and paying taxes I see no reason why they should not be entitled to the same benefits, rights and protection by the government when compared to anyone else.

What about the impact on the Irish man and woman looking for a job? Do you find it okay that they would lose out just because they want a decent wage, whereas the immigrants from poor countries will work for less? No wonder some in the business sector are always ranting on about wanting non-EU migrants! Let them in if, and ONLY if they are needed to address skills-shortages, but do not let non-EU migrants move into jobs where a skills-shortage does not pertain. Otherwise the dole will get a lot larger!

No I certainly don't begrudge immigrants needed to fill job vacancies caused by GENUINE skills-shortages in the Irish economy. They can come provided someone suitable cannot be found in Ireland and the EU.

I will say again.. you have absolutly no clue what a green card is. It is not a work visa. It is to allow you to live in the country. Yes you can work with a green card for whoever you like but you are expected to be able to not be a burden on the state. This means having the cash to maintain yourself + in most cases a job (unless your insanely rich).

If you think anyone can just wander in on a green card, your on crack.
    100,000 per annum. 100,000 per annum over 35 years would yield a foreign majority in Ireland

Erm, that is 3.5 million which would be less then the current population. You also don't factor in Irish births and other things into your flights of fantasy that involve imaginary numbers.

You also don't factor in all the extra jobs/businesses all those extra people will bring, or do you expect the same 100,000 queuing at the same number of mcDees?
    What about the impact on the Irish man and woman looking for a job? Do you find it okay that they would lose out just because they want a decent wage, whereas the immigrants from poor countries will work for less?

First up work visas normally require that the job is advertised here. Granted people get around this, but thats is what you are faced with. People on work visas make a fortune because they go back to their home country later on. Green card people move to a country because they expect the same value of living.

I hate to break it to you but Ireland is only going to grow by increasing its population. You also should be worrying less about people coming here and more about businesses leaving Ireland.

Hobbes wrote:
    I will say again.. you have absolutly no clue what a green card is. It is not a work visa. It is to allow you to live in the country. Yes you can work with a green card for whoever you like but you are expected to be able to not be a burden on the state. This means having the cash to maintain yourself + in most cases a job (unless your insanely rich).

If you think anyone can just wander in on a green card, your on crack.

Why do we need a Green Card system when with 50,000 people having come here from Eastern European EU in just 6 months? If that trend continues - and with Britain and Ireland being the only 2 EU states allowing this free for all I see no reason why it wouldn't, then surely that is sufficient to address the labour-shortage issues?
    Erm, that is 3.5 million which would be less then the current population. You also don't factor in Irish births and other things into your flights of fantasy that involve imaginary numbers.

Irish birth rates are expected to fall. You are also ignoring the 300,000-400,000 non-nationals already living here. It's not imaginary numbers.
    You also don't factor in all the extra jobs/businesses all those extra people will bring, or do you expect the same 100,000 queuing at the same number of mcDees?

Those businesses wanting all these people are often just looking for cheap labour that will undercut Irish labour. Only the most naive deny this! :rolleyes:
    I hate to break it to you but Ireland is only going to grow by increasing its population. You also should be worrying less about people coming here and more about businesses leaving Ireland.

I hate to break it to you but the Irish economic-growth rate in 1996 was 11%, long before there were anything like these numbers of immigrants in Ireland that there are now.

Why do we need a Green Card system when with 50,000 people having come here from Eastern European EU in just 6 months?

So your against a system that actually stops influx of people here?

Irish birth rates are expected to fall. You are also ignoring the 300,000-400,000 non-nationals already living here. It's not imaginary numbers.

Again please post where you get these fantastic statistics from. If birth rates do fall then we are going to have a social security problem in the future which can only be backed up by bringing fresh meat into the mix.
    Those businesses wanting all these people are often just looking for cheap labour that will undercut Irish labour. Only the most naive deny this! :rolleyes:

Again what businesses? Your under the illision that because there are more people here that business will remain the same? A greencard system would stop the undercutting of jobs because the people who apply for them would have to prove not to be a burden on the state (and no its not simply a case of "I've got meself a cleaning job").

I hate to break it to you but the Irish economic-growth rate in 1996 was 11%, long before there were anything like these numbers of immigrants in Ireland that there are now.

Which sad to say isn't because of Ireland and more to do with EU and the start of the dot.com bubble. What is it now?

A greencard system would stop the undercutting of jobs because the people who apply for them would have to prove not to be a burden on the state

I don't really understand that contribution fully. I am both opposed to immigrants becoming a burden on the state AND letting large numbers of them compete with Irish workers for jobs. Charity begins at home.

Plainly, the comparative wealth of the EU-15 means that we are not going to see such large-scale migration from their. From Eastern Europe is another matter sadly, thanks to the nonsensical approach of our Government in refusing to invoke similar restrictions on immigration from the new EU states.

I don't really understand that contribution fully. I am both opposed to immigrants becoming a burden on the state AND letting large numbers of them compete with Irish workers for jobs. Charity begins at home.

Plainly, the comparative wealth of the EU-15 means that we are not going to see such large-scale migration from their. From Eastern Europe is another matter sadly, thanks to the nonsensical approach of our Government in refusing to invoke similar restrictions on immigration from the new EU states.

i think racists should require a special permit to stay in any country, and also to be able to apply for a job. Its non-sensical that the government doesn't do anything about racists and bigots like you.

Then simple solution!! If they can prove they won't be a burden on the state then just give them Irish citizenship. Hey presto you are no longer a minority in your own country as they would be Irish too!

Doesn't that make you feel happier?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Daer oh dear, how long is it since you last trotted out these tired arguments?

When I voted for the Nice Treaty, I expected the Government to implement the same controls on immigration as other EU states. The fact that this has not happened has led to 50,000 people from the new EU states coming here in the 6 months since enlargement. We know now from media coverage that most of these most certainly were not already here when Enlargement started. They were not just people already here regularising their status. 50,000 per six months = 100,000 per annum. 100,000 per annum for 34 years = 3.4 million. 3.4 million + the 300,000 non-nationals here now = 3.7 million. Thus, Irish people would become a minority in their own country in 34 years. This is NOT acceptable to the Irish people.

You say facts, I say poor maths. Bonkey has already mentioned similar computations in Switzerland suggesting the country will be 114% Muslim by 2050 . Your sums ain't much better.

For a start you've taken a six month trend and projected into the future with no consideration of current causal factors or changing circumstances in the future. Thats like taking road deaths for a bank holiday weekend and applying them to the year as a whole. You fail to acknowledge that the other 13 countries of the EU-15 will remove their restrictions in 2011, which will have an inevitable impact on movement rates to this country. You yourself have acknowledged that the EU-15 countries have relatively similar standards of living, so the logical assumption to be make is that migrants from the accession states will be attracted to the other 13 countries as well as to Ireland (and if they've any sense, more so...)

In addition, you've failed to account for the impact that EU membership will have on the accession states and the lift it wil give to their economies in the years to come. Do you still believe that Poland, the Czech Republic and the Baltic States will still be experiencing crushing poverty in 30 years time? If I were you, I'd be more worried about their adoption of liberal taxation policies, coupled with lower labour costs and an increasingly well-educated workforce, which threaten foreign investment in Ireland.
    Yet despite these statistical facts,

What facts? You're wonky maths? Don't make me laugh...
    We are not opposed to SOME immigration

Who is "we"? Do you represent some organisation that we need to know about? Or is it the royal "we" you are using (and judging by some of your posts on boards, I'm starting to think you may be Prince Philip...)? You don't speak for the Irish people AG, no more than I do, so drop the we please.

Finally, why the sudden concern for protecting Irish jobs? When its semi-states or trade unions up for debate you're Mr. Free Market, but now its darkies and Johnny Foreigner's at the gates, and you're all protectionist. Which is it?

• Advertisement

You fail to acknowledge that the other 13 countries of the EU-15 will remove their restrictions in 2011, which will have an inevitable impact on movement rates to this country. You yourself have acknowledged that the EU-15 countries have relatively similar standards of living, so the logical assumption to be make is that migrants from the accession states will be attracted to the other 13 countries as well as to Ireland (and if they've any sense, more so...)

I have acknowledged the end of the restrictions in 2011 but the problem is that the shortfall between any shortfall would likely be filled by immigrants from non-EU countries handed out gawd-knows-how-many Green Cards by the Government if this new system comes in. And we are not even factoring asylum-seekers into this debate. As I understand it, FG, Labour and the Greens want to let asylum-seekers work. This is totally not on, because when the Government allowed them to work a few years ago the numbers coming here soared to 11,000. BTW I never mentioned 114% but I did mention that the majority would be foreigners unless we get tough.
    In addition, you've failed to account for the impact that EU membership will have on the accession states and the lift it wil give to their economies in the years to come. Do you still believe that Poland, the Czech Republic and the Baltic States will still be experiencing crushing poverty in 30 years time? If I were you, I'd be more worried about their adoption of liberal taxation policies, coupled with lower labour costs and an increasingly well-educated workforce, which threaten foreign investment in Ireland.

Yes it will make them better off. However many are even further behind the pack economically than we were in 1972, and I think it would take 50 years to catch up rather than 30. So the incentive to emigrate will continue. BTW I am concerned about what you refer to but that is more reason to introduce further liberalisation of the Irish economy like I proposed in earlier threads.
    Who is "we"? Do you represent some organisation that we need to know about? Or is it the royal "we" you are using (and judging by some of your posts on boards, I'm starting to think you may be Prince Philip...)? You don't speak for the Irish people AG, no more than I do, so drop the we please.

The 80% "Yes" in the Citizenship referendum together with the exit-polls seem to strongly indicate my views are closer to the pulse of the nation than yours, with all due respect.
    Finally, why the sudden concern for protecting Irish jobs? When its semi-states or trade unions up for debate you're Mr. Free Market, but now its darkies and Johnny Foreigner's at the gates, and you're all protectionist. Which is it?

More than likely, persons losing jobs in the semi-state sector rationalisation (in so far as the unions haven't succeeded to obstruct it) will find work again soon enough, considering the 6% economic growth which is forecast to continue in coming years. That if immigrants aren't parachuted in to take their jobs of course! :(
    Then simple solution!! If they can prove they won't be a burden on the state then just give them Irish citizenship. Hey presto you are no longer a minority in your own country as they would be Irish too!

They would still be a burden. More so in fact. Their access to social-welfare would then be on par with that of Irish people. Bad move!
    i think racists should require a special permit to stay in any country, and also to be able to apply for a job. Its non-sensical that the government doesn't do anything about racists and bigots like you.

I am not a racist or a bigot. However, you seem to have a bigoted attitude to people who favour immigration controls.

Advertisement