Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Donington racetrack in the sunshine

Options
  • 21-12-2004 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Here's some more pics of the circuit at Donington, this time when the weather was a bit better!

formula3_redgate.jpg

These are Formula 3 cars just coming out of Redgate.

formula3_outfield_craner_schwantz_spitfire.jpg

Donington is a brilliant track, but unfortunately it's not so good for spectating as there is a high fence all the way around it. You can get a good view of the back section of the track however from the hill on the outfield of the Hollywood curve (the one after Redgate).

formula3_outfield_starkeys_mcleans_coppice.jpg

As you can see, the view is quite breathtaking looking down from the bank at the Hollywood curve.

donington_spitfire.jpg

A prominent feature along the back section of the track is of course is the Spitfire. The track itself is about 5 miles from the East Midlands Airport.

donington_hollywood_craner_old_hairpin_starkeys_bridge_schwantz_mcleans_coppice.jpg

Here the sections of the track are, in order: Craner, The Old Hairpin, Starkey's Bridge, Schwantz, McLeans, and Coppice at the far right in the distance.

castle_donington.jpg

This is the famous Castle Donington. I didn't notice it right away, but then suddenly there it was, sitting in the sunlight, clearly visible from the infield section above the Old Hairpin. It really is a spectacular sight.

ferrari348tb_rear_donington.jpg

Of course I love looking around to see what kind of cars other people attending the racing travelled in. After a while, Ferraris and Porsches start to look two-a-penny, which is strange! Still, looking at this photo now, I can see that of course these things are works of art.

ferrari348tb_side_donington.jpg

This is a 348tb. Not a name that is very familiar, but the car itself is of course. It's really the little brother to the Testarossa - a little less "in your face" but maybe more good looking because it's not as garish.

When I found out that the going rate for these is around €40,000 I got exited and thought maybe if I put my mind to it and save every penny I might be able to afford one in a few year's time. Unfortunately though, the old saying that you need to be able to afford two Ferraris before you can afford to own one is true. I read up on it and discovered that the timing belt needs to be changed something like every 6,000 miles and costs about 5 grand to do!

porsche911dumans_donington.jpg

I always see at least one classic 911 parked somewhere too. I wonder has this guy really been over to Le Mans in his Porsche. Even though it's a bit dirty, I still think it looks well. This was the original Porsche for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I won there...woohoooooo, go me... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

When were you there? What were you racing in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Been over there several times.. absolutely great track, brilliant for cars and spectacular for bikes. My mates won there a few times as well :)

Irish vees.
    I was on pole for both races by over a second, won the first easily, the lads caught me in the 2nd race, and at one stage I was in 10th, I eventually finished 2nd. Autosport commented it was on of the best club races in years....
    Sure twas good to be in it. I have the dvd of the race somewhere.
    To Kali,
    I was there also in a UK vee when your friend won (if hes the guy im thinking of - went on to do Renaults, and now does Dunlop supercars?). He got fastest lap too, that was in 2001, on the long track. I finished either 7th or 4th that day (long story involving suspension parts being wrong on front of the car) however my teammate that year was on that front row. That was a good race too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Last time I was there was Monsters of Rock in 1996, plenty of speed, not the same variety as yours tho ;)

• Advertisement

Had to get my bro(beekay) to delete the last reply as he uses boards too, and I accidentally posted under his name as he hadnt logged out...Anyway..
    As I posted, it was strange returning to the track 2 weeks later for Download 2004, and walking through a market on the back straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Was there myself on the 3rd of December for a club trackday, brilliant track. Very fast and very greasy as well. I think somebody commented that the with the planes landing and taking off etc at the local airport it causes the track to be greasy somehow??

Either way, I had a brill weekend over there.

Yes, apparently aviation fuel fallout as the planes land is the problem (esp at Mcleans). The track is very slippy in the wet. In the dry the new surface is fairly slippy too.

Advertisement