Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Beko tv's

Options
  • 21-12-2004 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

Does anyone have anything reassuring to say about Beko tv's, apart from "they're cheap"?
    Got myself a cheap 21" flatscreen exactly 1 month ago, and shes f*cked already! If its switched on for more than 10mins it starts buzzing, a real high frequency squeal that seems to come from the back of it. Its seriously annoying, cant watch anything while its buzzing.

Im bringing it back to get it replaced, but just wondering is this what to expect for spending so little?

Btw, i had a Sanyo portable for 15 years with no problems, shes still going but a bit small for the room!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

beko = heap of sh1t.

That buzzing seems to happen a lot with them. I've known a few people who this has happened to. Just shed the extra few hundred euro for a decent tv.

nuff said.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Hmm, I've had a Beko 28" widescreen for about 4 years. Still works grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭masto1983

feylya wrote:
    Hmm, I've had a Beko 28" widescreen for about 4 years. Still works grand.

Good stuff, thats all i wanted to hear!

I aint spending any more money on a tv i rarely watch! Hope the replacement lasts longer than a month tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

I had that buzzing happen with a sony and a mitsubishi black diamond. Its not that uncommon. All it takes to fix is to coat a metal coil with some silicon (i think) to muffle.

If the tv is under warranty whoever u bought it from should send an engineer to do it. The one that came to fix the sony said that sony are aware of the problem but choose not to cover the coil themselves as it would cost a few cents and not everyone will complain about it. Maybe he was just bitter but then again maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

got my sis a beko 2 years ago for christmas she used it as the main telly and it lasted about 6 months, i wouldnt normally care about makes but i think you should really consider if its worth the risk when your probably talking a tenner in difference between a beko and a dawoo or some other low end tv makes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭latimer

my friend has a beko, and the volume adjusts itself without command. really annoying. apart from that it seems decent enough, considering the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

beko, rubbish made by the turks - sold here because of a relatively decent margin on them but they are hit and miss re quality.

got a cheapo Korean dvd - nice jittery picture and f#-cked sound on it.

really is worth it to pay the extra 30% for a jap brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I've had a Beko for quite a while, about 5 years I'd say, and there hasn't been a single problem with it. Meanwhile the Phillips in my bedroom lasted all of a week before going bang(it's replacement seems fine)
    Sometimes you just have good/bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

most tvs under a grand or so come from the same factory and are just badged accordingly. Philips, Maganvox are the same company, yet magnavox are cheaper by far. i've got a daewoo which fits perfectly on a philips stand.
    basically, you can be un/lucky with any brand... just get what you fance and can afford and bring back any crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

ive had a beko 32 inch widescreen for about 2 years...no problems...if you're looking for a big tv thats cheap i'd go with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Had a small one (14" i think) which made a loud, exploding noise every time i turned it off. Half the buttons on the remote stopped working, and the power light was so badly placed it shined up through the cover leaving a red glow on the bottom of the screen.

So, heap of s**t

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

As with nearly anything, you get what you pay for :)

Beko are not the greatest (bear in mind that some Black Diamond sets are rebadged Beko's). Mind you, their Turk counterparts, Vestel (also make stuff that is rebadged such as the cheaper JVC sets ), are a tad worse IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

My 25" Beko is celebrating it's 4th b'day and hasn't given me a minute's trouble.
    It'll be getting replaced with a Sony 32" WS soon; something I simply couldn't afford 4 years ago.

Have a 28" Beko here, my parents traded in an old Luxor for it back in August 1999.
    Last year the step-up transformer went bust in it and had to be repaired. Ever since we got it back I've noticed that high-frequency squeal out of it, usually for about 5 minutes after being turned on in the morning, but especially with NTSC DVDs and my GameCube in 525/60Hz mode.

Advertisement