Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gears on 91 Fiesta

Options
  • 21-12-2004 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Sometimes when I put my car into reverse it makes a strange crunching noise then it can go into a whine! Any suggestions? Also the gearstick can be extremely stubborn! It won't always go into 1st gear for me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Most reverse gears do not have syncromesh and old cars can be a bit "crunchy" and whiney. Its important to fully press the clutch and be at a full stop before selecting reverse. Patience pays when changing gear.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

If you're having trouble just let the clutch up again and depress it fully before trying to change gear. If that fails - bang it into gear! It's only a Fiesta :)

"Won't always go into first gear" is a bit vague but it doesn't sound like a serious problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Yeah it's always been a problem, or rather a 'feature' with the Fiesta (even new ones are quite 'crunchy'). Also, many people find it very difficult to get them into 1st when coming down the gears, i.e. from 2nd to 1st. You literally have to stop before she will go into 1st! Is this what you're talking about or is it getting into 1st from standing still?

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The clutch cables on Fiestas are self-tensioning so it might be that your clutch is on the way out. Check that there isn't a mat jammed under the clutch pedal preventing it from going to the floor. Get someone to check the clutch for you and failing that I'll swap you a box of Cadburys Roses for it....

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

many people find it very difficult to get them into 1st when coming down the gears, i.e. from 2nd to 1st. You literally have to stop before she will go into 1st!
    Every car I've driven has been like this too, so I don't think it's due to a faulty g/box or is something that's peculiar to Fiestas. I believe this is some sort of design feature to prevent you going into 1st by accident while driving at speed.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

BrianD3 wrote:
    Every car I've driven has been like this too, so I don't think it's due to a faulty g/box or is something that's peculiar to Fiestas. I believe this is some sort of design feature to prevent you going into 1st by accident while driving at speed.

BrianD3

True, I've just noticed it's particularly stubborn on some of the Fiesta's I've driven - to the extent that it's fairly notchy and difficult to engage 1st even when you do stop.

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

BrianD3 wrote:

BrianD3

This is a feature of every gear box in my experience, Imagine what would happen to your engine or gearbox if you could select first gear while moving at speed.

Advertisement