Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola V550 & SE k700i Question

Options
  • 21-12-2004 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

My brother bought a Motorola V550 with Vodafone on ready to go but his current phone is Meteor and wants to stick with them. Hes been told if he tops up a certain amount he cant get it unlocked but is there another way that anyone knows?

I bought a Sony Ericsson k700i sim free and bought a Meteor sim card. They said in the shop the phone was locked to O2. Am I just able to put the 085 sim card and use the phone for certain things like text,calls,etc. but not for things like MMS and WAP until I get the Meteor WAP settings? If so, Meteor only do the k500i so if I had the settings from that sent to the k700i would it work,are the settings the same?

thanks

Comments

Regarding the Motorola V550 I'm in the same boat as your brother. Other than topping up by €127 and requesting an unlock code from Vodafone there's nothing you can do at this time.
    If the SE K700i is locked to O2 then it won't accept a Meteor SIM at all. You won't even be able to get past the PIN code screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Karsini wrote:
    If the SE K700i is locked to O2 then it won't accept a Meteor SIM at all. You won't even be able to get past the PIN code screen.
    So how do you get it so that you can use the Meteor sim? I mean whats the point of buying SIM free phones then?

You'll have to get it unlocked somehow. O2's perception of SIM free is more like "without subsidy" - they still sell it with the SIM lock!

Personally I think they should be obliged to unlock it for you because they have no subsidy to protect. Try calling them and see if you can get it - you have every right to get the phone unlocked if you paid full whack for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

how did meteor know it was locked? just try a friend's sim card from vodafone or meteor and you'll see if it really is. but buying a sim-free phone should mean that it's unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

carrotcake wrote:
    how did meteor know it was locked? just try a friend's sim card from vodafone or meteor and you'll see if it really is. but buying a sim-free phone should mean that it's unlocked
    I tried a meteor sim(that I only bought yesterday) in the k700i and it said please insert correct sim. I rang o2 and they said theyd send me the unblocking code,after i sent them the receipt.I emailed and faxed it so its just a matter of hoping it wont take too long

• Advertisement
Advertisement