Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nokia 6230 music formats

Options
  • 21-12-2004 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

The 6230 only seems to play MP3 format, even though it specifies AAC also. I have tried all AAC formats (Nero, FAAC, etc) but just get a "Cannot open file" message when I play one. Anyone know of a real compatible AAC format and a prog to rip from CD and convert from MP3?

I am reduced to re-converting MP3 to 96 bps to save space.

Also, anyone tried a Twinmos 1 GB MMC card in the 6230? I've ordered one, but am getting some bad vibes about compatible 1 GB cards.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

i have a sandisc 1gb card which works fine but the lexar ones seem to be ever so slightly thicker when i tried a 256mb card in it the card didnt semm to sit properly in the camera and forced the battery to pop out any time the cover was taken off a twinmos 128 worked fine but im not sure about a 1gb card

with regards to the AAC format use this

this

go to the codec page and get the aac codec also

codec

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Thanks, eoinf. I was using DBPoweramp but I don't think I tried that codec. will report results when I get a chance to borrow "her phone" again!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

I can confirm that 1GB TwinMOS works fine with the Nokia 6230. My brother has had one for a couple of weeks now - it's just about full with MP3s and a few videos - still works perfectly.

Also, as pointed out the last post by eoinf, you'll need a programme like dBpowerAMP to create the "raw" AAC files that the Nokia 6230 plays. Basically, the issue is that programmes like iTunes (which I originally setup for my brother) create an AAC files but rap them in MP4 which is why you end up with M4A files that don't work on the phone.

Oh, make sure ALL songs are in the ROOT folder of the memory card otherwise the Music Player will not see them. The only exception to this is if you use playlists *but* they can only be created with the Nokia PC Suite software.

One final tip, don't try to format your 1GB MMC card with the phone, it won't work properly. Use a card reader :)

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

This gets better. I am feeling much more comfortable about the 6230 now. It looked good on paper, but the start-up niggles were getting me doubtful. If I can get your suggestions off the ground, I'll be glad that I have ordered one too. Many thanks, and I will report success (I hope!).

Advertisement