Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gaming BroadBand Provider

• 21-12-2004 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

I have a one year contract with Digiweb 1mb dsl connection, but its really bad for pings usualy 220 to 300ms to boards.ie and gaming lately is just not worth doing anymore

Im looking to switch providers but i know €ircom will be worse...

can anyone tell me what is the best provider for ping rates or is there a provider who will guarentee good stable pings...

what is utv like or are they crap too???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Eircom would be a safe bet. Most of the time pings are good. If you can get NTL then that would be even better. Esat and UTV can be crap enough at times I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if ur in a cabled area of dublin go for ntl they are easily the best (20-45ms)
    your best dsl bet is to go with eircom or iol broadband for good pings (35-50ms to uk and irish servers)... utv's pings wud be alot better than what you have now but they are more like isdn pings to irish and uk servers (50-85ms)...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sry just noticed now you are also in meath so no ntl option:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Anima wrote:
    Eircom would be a safe bet. Most of the time pings are good. If you can get NTL then that would be even better. Esat and UTV can be crap enough at times I think.

In fairness to UTV they seemed to have improved considerably in this area in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I changed over to eircom and ping wise I never looked back .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

woah tanx for all the replies

yes i live in meath and cant get ntl or wireless...

you all say eircom??? but do digiweb not use the same gateway and basicly the same ting??? i dont have a clue but wat i want to do is not switch isp and have the same problems all over again

eircom is the same price as digiweb for the meg connection which is good but wats the contention ratio??

wat is the story digiweb say they cant guarentee pings and the reason iv high pings is because im contended i tought i could smell ****, contention couldnt hav anything to do with pings could it??

right ill ask a few around my area wat pings are like with eircom and see wat the story is tanx lads

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

freekhead wrote:
    woah tanx for all the replies

yes i live in meath and cant get ntl or wireless...

you all say eircom??? but do digiweb not use the same gateway and basicly the same ting??? i dont have a clue but wat i want to do is not switch isp and have the same problems all over again

eircom is the same price as digiweb for the meg connection which is good but wats the contention ratio??

wat is the story digiweb say they cant guarentee pings and the reason iv high pings is because im contended i tought i could smell ****, contention couldnt hav anything to do with pings could it??

right ill ask a few around my area wat pings are like with eircom and see wat the story is tanx lads

No ISP will guarantee pings nor will they guarantee speeds because of the nature of the product. (In fact its hard to know what we are actually paying them for when you read Terms and Conditions closely! )

I am not a gamer but from following the various discussions on pings it seems that Eircom have been consistently the best since bb was introduced. (And I hasten to add I am not a fan of theirs or anything) Jonski who posted above fought long and hard with UTV over pings and then when his contract was up he divorced UTV married Eircom and gamed happily ever after:) He doesnt even appear on boards very much now which must mean something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

The backbone for DSL in the main is eircom's ATM network and for this part, yes, in many cases the latency will be the same. However in the gaming world most of the servers reside outside of the country so it's direct peering and transit that's important along with a well build network.

To say that all DSL services are the same is not strictly true - the technology is more or less the same but once eircom handover the ports to the ISP in question ( UTV, Digiweb wtc ) it's up to them to provide the actual Internet connectivity and as such each individual ISP has control of latency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

freekhead wrote:
    I have a one year contract with Digiweb 1mb dsl connection, but its really bad for pings usualy 220 to 300ms to boards.ie and gaming lately is just not worth doing anymore

can anyone tell me what is the best provider for ping rates or is there a provider who will guarentee good stable pings...

what is utv like or are they crap too???

Dude, in the terms of contract with Digiweb you can break it early if you pay €100.

ive had broadband for almost a year now with eircom and never once had a ping problem... always within 35-50ms range to uk so if gaming is ur thing, go with eircom you wont be sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

I dont know if its a national thing or regional thing but my pings with ESAT BT have been in the hundreds recently to Irish servers. Im west of Cork city.

so eircom it is and i dont mind paying 100 quid to get rid of crapy digiweb...im only here in boards cause i cant game tonight again because my pings are in the 200ms range to boards.ie.... one more ting digiweb claimed that you get €200 credited to your account if you use their service well i never got it so if i unsuscribe it will cost them 100 not me

so to say good bye to digiweb they will have to pay me off hahahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

freekhead wrote:
    one more ting digiweb claimed that you get €200 credited to your account if you use their service well i never got it so if i unsuscribe it will cost them 100 not me

Freekhead, doesn't the £200 credit consist of 3 month's broadband free, plus a free DSL modem? Did you get the first 3 months free?

I'm also a Digiweb customer; I'm not disatisfied with them, and have found their support good. But if I move to NTL, I get a faster service, for less money, with a ginormous cap, and I no longer have to pay phone line rental. It's a no-brainer.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GazaM

35-50ms with Eircom! I have Eircom broadband and get pings no lower than the high 50's to Irish servers and between 70-100+ to English and European servers. I still have no problems though as they are perfectly respectable pings for gaming, anything below 150 is fine for me, although I usually only join servers with pings less than 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'm with Esat, my pings are nearly always around 50ms or less. It doesn't seem to matter what provider you go with, its area dependant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I'm with Esat, my pings are nearly always around 50ms or less. It doesn't seem to matter what provider you go with, its area dependant.

I'm on NTL and the pings are less than 40ms.
    freekhead wrote:

There've been reports of Irish Broadband Expanding and of Smart telecom also entering the market. Maybe you should hold out for a bit until you've got information on those ISP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Any DSL offering based on Eircom's wholesale package will give you similar pings (barring ISP peering agreements as crawer pointed out).

If you want better pings, Esat Business DSL or some of the wireless offerings (though dependent on several enviromental variables) are options.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I am on digiweb wireless here in waterford and pings to irish sites are generally less than 50 and to the uk between 50 and 75. I dont use gaming or anything though.

At first I thought that thier wireless setup was crap but for the last 3 weeks or so I have been getting very consistent speeds from them usally between 430 and 470kbps

In saying that though if ntl are as good as people say they are I will probably be terminating my contract once the roll out in Waterford from NTL begins.

Leonard wrote:
    At first I thought that thier wireless setup was crap but for the last 3 weeks or so I have been getting very consistent speeds from them usally between 430 and 470kbps

Is that the actual line speed or is that what you actually get on the download transfer speed from a server?

Infini wrote:
    Is that the actual line speed or is that what you actually get on the download transfer speed from a server?

Thats actual line speed. I should have explained a bit better. Downloads speeds depends on the server obviously but typical download speeds from somewhere like microsoft are usally between 55 and 60 KBps

• Advertisement

Leonard wrote:
    Thats actual line speed. I should have explained a bit better. Downloads speeds depends on the server obviously but typical download speeds from somewhere like microsoft are usally between 55 and 60 KBps

Transfer on mines about 205kb/s.

Where are you and what provider do you use.

I just ran a test now. Here are the results:

Download Bandwidth Test Results
    Download speed: 432 kilobits per second

Test details: 402 kilobytes downloaded in 7.437 seconds.
    Receive buffer size: Not available

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/bandwidth.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

my pings to irish servers with eircom as usually 20 never any higher than 27

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

IBB here, 14ms pings to boards.ie and 30 ish to UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Hmm, I'm on the DigiWeb 1mb ADSL as well, works fine for gaming here, get solid pings of 70 to English/French/German servers in Battlefield 42. Re other ISPs, yeah, Eircom seem to have a good reputation for gaming pings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Hmm, I'm on the DigiWeb 1mb ADSL as well, works fine for gaming here, get solid pings of 70 to English/French/German servers in Battlefield 42. Re other ISPs, yeah, Eircom seem to have a good reputation for gaming pings.

is they that good around the clock or only at certain hours?

cause my pings are good only from about 1pm to 5pm, then they start to go high again, basically unplayable. I'm on digitrap 1mb adsl too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

CyberGhost wrote:

cause my pings are good only from about 1pm to 5pm, then they start to go high again, basically unplayable. I'm on digitrap 1mb adsl too

Seems to be OK all day, yeah. We have the connection shared over a house here, with some fancy routing, so it can be hard to tell where slowdowns are, but once there's no one else doing much with the connection, I seem to get fine gaming pings any time of the day. That said, I don't play all that much, so there might have been dips that I missed.

CyberGhost wrote:

Have you got some english, us or european IP adresses that i can test?

yeahhhhh my contract ends the end of this month with digiweb and ill b getting eircom 1mb but is it an option to turn off interleaving cause that would really reduce the ping speeds..

i rang them up and the lady on the phone didnt have a clue what i was on so she said someone would ring back,, that was 3 days ago :p

my sister got bb from eircom like 2 months ago her pings are 20ms to boards but she lives right beside the exchange in kells lol i might be changing house

my pings with digiweb are usually 200 -250ms to any server even if i do a trace my firs hop is 200

sometimes pings are 70ms with digiweb and when that happens i usually go online to play but they dont last for very long so my advice to everyone is stay away from digiweb

with the buisness package they credit 200 to your account when it is activated but i never got it so to terminate the contract cost nothing but it cost them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Well, last night I changed from Digiweb HomeJet last (>200ms pings) to
    NTL (>20 ms pings), so I'm happy!

P.

Advertisement