Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand National

• 21-12-2004 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

The grand national is a great race and i think there are ways to find a winner. I have two points which does narrow it down a lot

1. They must be under 11 stone in weight any higher and they will not win or very rarely do, however there is always one which runs really well and may be placed.

2. If they have had past experience over the national fences then this also gives them a very good chance.

Last year I had Hedgehunter (under 11 stone), Amberleigh House and Clan Royal (Under 11 stone and past fences experience).

LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

apparently in the last 10 years only 3 horses carrying over 11 stone have placed. It could be less than 11 stone, perhaps even 10 and a half. Read it on the BBC website last year, can't remember the exact weight. Anyone know?.

It's the only race I bet on, and I usually back 3 horses. One Favourite, one mid range and one rank 50-1 outsider, all each way. Usually means I at worst break even, mostly don't make a huge amount, sometimes do quite well.
    Pretty boring Gambling I will admit, but I prefer the pittance that is my money in my pocket rather than handing it over to the Bookies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 liamdye

Under 11 stone is what it is, that is what i said. I follow racing very closely and have won 4 out of the last 5 nationals (Grand Nationals)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

any tips for any racing over Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 liamdye

Blackjack wrote:
    any tips for any racing over Christmas?

In the Welsh National i think it is Silver Birch and One Knight, One Knight to win. Both consistent and love jumping all types of obstacles. Kicking King or Fundamenatalist in the King George, most likely Kicking King. Harchibald to win the Christmas Hurdle he was amazing last time, jockey didnt ask him to move and he beat some very smart horses.

GOOD LUCK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

This is my bet for the week

Lucky 15:
    kicking king - (king george)
    moscow flyer - (Dial-a-bet chase)
    harchibald - (christmas hurdle)
    best mate (if he dont run- Beef or Salmon) - (lexus chase)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

liamdye wrote:
    have won 4 out of the last 5 nationals (Grand Nationals)
    Impressive! I thought I was doing well with 3 of the last 4. :cool:
    Also had Amberleigh House and Clan Royal last year, both at nice prices a few weeks before the race and the forecast was just beautiful! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭evillive

clan royal is the one for me next year, and i've been backing him all along at 20/1 ante post

its jp mcmanus's big chance at winning his first national

i was in aintree for the 2003 becher chase when clan royal pipped amberleigh house but they were a mile ahead of the others

once the weights were released i thought amberleigh house would have the edge and made a nice few bob on him

i also did the tricast of amberleigh house, clan royal and ,,,,, hedgehunter who fell at the last
    that wasnt as bad as the treble i did on amberleigh house 33/1, iriss gift in the stayers at 9/2 and rooster booster in the champion hurdle who was pipped by some outsider from ireland there was over 9k lost on that one

clan royal will have no hope of winning any chases up to the race to keep the handicap down and hopefully with tony mccoy in the saddle he'll do the business also tony mccoy has a great chance of winning his first national here too

however i was impressed with silver birch in this years becher chase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

evillive wrote:
    clan royal is the one for me next year, and i've been backing him all along at 20/1 ante post
    The only negative is that he went up 6lbs in the handicap (I think) after last season's National. That means he could well have a weight of over 11st in next year's.

Jonjo O'Neill had two options with what to do with the horse this season - either run him badly in chases in the hope of getting his handicap mark dropped a little or run him solely in hurdles races until the National weights are published. It seems like he's wisely opted for the latter as I doubt the handicapper would drop his rating at all.

Also, McCoy should get on well with him. Clan Royal jumps those big fences for fun but as he tires out towards the end of the race, McCoy is the man to lift him across the line.

So while I have my doubts, I'm hoping Clan Royal can win it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Other pointers for the Grand National are to disregard the bottom 10-15 on the card, most of them will be running from out of the handicap.

It's funny that if you look at the Grand Nationals over the last 10 years you will find that the winner usually comes from numbers 7-22. Also younger horses have a much better record than older horses in the race, I think Amberleigh House was the first horse older than 9 to win in 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

Go for a horse with a good jumping style...I like Bindaree. Had him when he won a while back.. Had him last time he ran the national aswell but he ony came 6th i think. There is no real way of picking the winner apart from narrowing it down to about 10 or so. If monty's pass runs again this year i'd pick him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement