Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's got assignments for over xmas???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I'm just messin with ya :D

Any more pegs I can take down?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

you can take the washing off my washing line if you like, plenty of pegs there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

David19 wrote:
    Aren't you dropping out for the rest of the year pet?
    Good memory, but yes, I'm still considering it, I have until the 30th January to decide. I probably will go back, I'm not sure where I'd like to travel to, and by the time I'd have it all organised and such it'd be May anyways. And if I don't travel, then I'll end up staying at home and getting depressed, so it's best I fill my time with something.

In short, I'm still weighing it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

You could always finish the year and take the whole of next year out? I'd do that but I've already wasted one year in college.

David19 wrote:
    You could always finish the year and take the whole of next year out? I'd do that but I've already wasted one year in college.
    I don't think so really. I have some personal reasons for wanting to drop out, and by the time October comes around, they will hopefully have been resolved. But definitely, once I graduate (IF I graduate!) I'm taking an *extended* gap year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

whats all this business I hear about re-registering?

You've to re-register around the 13th or so of January, in order to get the second part of your fees paid for by the state.

Final date for re-registering is the end of the month. Kinda handy cos if you drop out, you only have to pay half fees...

But do we have to pay reg fees again?

No, you don't pay a reg fee again. If your paying the course fee for the year(about 5gs) and you only payed half at the start of the year then you pay the other half. I think thats right anyway.

Oh ok thanks, I was just wondering.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

i have a couple of maths assignents to do but meh ill do them the weekend before we go back..im really not in a 'study' kind of a mood at the mo so theres no way im doing them now..its all good :)

re-reg...woh totally forgot about that, i have no idea where i put that letter...ah im sure someone in my course will no when we have to re-reg..im in such a breezy mood at the moment :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

does anyone else find it really hard to concentrate/ attempt to study during christmas holidays? iv an essay and exam due directly after xmas but im finding it mad hard to get anything done.
    i went into the libary the other day and only just survived an hour. it was like Belarus or something, not a soul to be seen! only people in Hamilton were postgrads.
    i wish we could just have holidays completely off and didnt have to be worrying about study/assignments etc. hopefully 3rd year will be easier!

snorlax wrote:
    does anyone else find it really hard to concentrate/ attempt to study during christmas holidays? iv an essay and exam due directly after xmas but im finding it mad hard to get anything done.
    i went into the libary the other day and only just survived an hour. it was like Belarus or something, not a soul to be seen! only people in Hamilton were postgrads.
    i wish we could just have holidays completely off and didnt have to be worrying about study/assignments etc. hopefully 3rd year will be easier!

Yeah its hard enough doing assignments during the year, nevermind doing them at christmas with all the festivities and alcohol. I have about four assignments myself and i haven't even looked at them yet.
    You're right, down with christmas assignments!
    Anyway im off for another beer...

snorlax wrote:
    hopefully 3rd year will be easier!
    Probably best you harbour some contingency hopes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i live in hope! why what year are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

ah yes the wonders of xmas assignments, every year its the same with being left with loads of work to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stoopidkid

I've a stupid Chemistry test a week after I go back.. which would be fine if I actually had a clue what was goin on and had done it for the Leavin Cert.. It's bummin me out! My labs have been switched from morning to afternoon.. I think I'd rather finish early than stay in bed for an extra hour?!? Nollaig Shona

You're new. :D

If you're a first year, then that means I have a test too..which I don't know about. And I did chemistry for the Leaving, but barely understood a bit of it, so I'm equally ****ed!

I was a chemistry kid too but it's completely useless to me now!

wait no... i had one piss easy lecture on chemistry as part of some biology thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

snorlax wrote:
    i live in hope! why what year are you in?
    he's in 3rd year iirc :D
    Pet wrote:
    If you're a first year, then that means I have a test too..which I don't know about. And I did chemistry for the Leaving, but barely understood a bit of it, so I'm equally ****ed!
    yeah you 1st years have an mcq (multiple choice quiz..) after xmas in chem Pet, well I had one last year anyways...theyre fun- you can make a nice pattern on your answer sheet since its multiple choice ;) (i didnt study so thats all i could do!!)

• Advertisement

theyre fun- you can make a nice pattern on your answer sheet since its multiple choice (i didnt study so thats all i could do!!)
    Bahahahahahaha, that sounds like fun, looks like I'll be making pretty patterns too. :D

thank god for multiple choice :D

saved my ass for biology i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

MCQ is the work of the devil, just tests what you don't know. Much prefer essay type questions

But at least you can guess!

You just "guess" an essay!

No you waffle an essay..

I'd be of the opinion of John, but scientific essays as opposed to ones with subjective marking..

Problem questions are the best imo, like physics/maths. When you come out of the exam you can tell almost exactly how well you did!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Chick wrote:
    But at least you can guess!

You just "guess" an essay!

Of course I don't guess an essay but generally you're familiar with most of the topics if not on the fine details (and the fine details are what is asked on an MCQ). I wouldn't consider myself bad at chemistry but I failed the MCQ in first year despite having studied. When I did the essay paper for which I didn't do as much study I got more marks because I could show what I knew as opposed to just guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

that's probably because you're good at english and writing essays in general. some ppl are really capable of hiding what they don't know and taking about 40% knowledge of a subject and geting 50% in the exam due to a good ability for writing the essays.

that's probably because you're good at english and writing essays in general. some ppl are really capable of hiding what they don't know and taking about 40% knowledge of a subject and geting 50% in the exam due to a good ability for writing the essays.

Ohhhh yeah, that's me right down to a T. I am the GOD of waffling my way through things. For one of my comparatives at the LC, I read the book ONCE, and wrote an essay on it, complete with marvellous embellishments.

Essays are my friends. MCQs, however, are more like those annoying relatives that you can't stand, but have to grit your teeth and smile at and make more gravy for just so that they can't criticise you like they did last year when you spilled wine on their cream trousers (and who the hell wears cream trousers anyways!? This is not the 80's, you dip****, go back to killarney).

Yeah. talk about a run-on sentence

Try spilling red wine on the 2month old carpet Pet... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm doing a part-time Masters in TCD and I've 1/5 of a group assignment to submit by Jan 16th.

Basically, I'll crack open the ol' Jagermeister, type about 2,000 of personalised rantage within an hour, spend a further hour trawling google trying to back it up with the relevant citations, and basically the job's OXO.

Advertisement