Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope on gay marriage - "agressive attempt to legally undermine the family"

Options
  • 22-12-2004 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://uk.gay.com/headlines/7290

Pope slams gay marriage
    Pope John Paul II launched yet another tirade against same-sex marriage the other day saying that gay people were plotting an 'agressive attempt to legally undermine the family.' The 84 year old delivered his sternest criticisms yet on the subject in his pre-Christmas messageas he called on Roman Catholics the world over to increase their opposition to gay marriage.

He said: "Attacks on marriage and the family, from an ideological and legal aspect, are becoming stronger and more radical every day. Those who destroy this fundamental fabric cause a profound injury to society and provoke often irreparable damage."

He went on to pour scorn on artificial insemination, abortion and co-habiting couples, saying: "These things that are presented as civilised progress or scientific conquests, in many cases are in fact a defeat for the dignity of human life and for society."

In Canada and Spain, both countries were same-sex marriage is likely to be legalised, bishops are spearheading the attack to try and stop legislation going through. The majority of Spamiards however, support their government's stance on the subject.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

gay people were plotting an 'agressive attempt to legally undermine the family.'

Right, which one of you moles showed him the papers in my desk?

I see the guy has a beef with artificial insemination now. Tell that to all the farmers in Rural Ireland who use it in their jobs regularly. Plus, he bitches about marriage being for the purposes of procreation and now he complains when childless couples try to have children?

Next he'll be saying adoption is wrong after they introduce a line into the Bible that says "thou shalt not bring foreign blood into the home" thus allowing him to speak out against cohabiting couples, adoptive parents, foster homes and blood transfusions all in one go. Married couples will be okay however because "God shalt change the woman's blood along with her surname" or something like that :p (I'm thinking of the bit in the Simpsons where Lisa says "We all have Simpson DNA. Except you Mom". "No no no, when I took your father's name I took everything that went with it INCLUDING DNA" :D).

Stark wrote:
    I see the guy has a beef with artificial insemination now. Tell that to all the farmers in Rural Ireland who use it in their jobs regularly.
    LoL
    As for the pope, nothings changed or is going to change untill he dies and the guy after the next guy comes along.
    Just look at the celebacy rule for priests...It strikes me as the height of hypocrisy for former married anglican priests who turned and were professed as priests in the Catholic church and yet allowed to continue to live married lives with their wives.
    It wouldnt surprise me if their wives were on the pill or if these priests were using condoms etc etc.
    Yet at the same time, this pope won't allow the rest of the priests to get married if they want to.
    He cannot see the wood for the tree's
    I'm wondering anyway at this stage if it's his ultra conservative Bishop friends/advisers using the auto sign on these types of statements.
    Besides the pope is so irrelevant these days anyway-who cares!

By the way-do ya remember the film The pope must Die with Robbie Coltrane iirc?? it's a good few years ago, but the local cinema here is across the road from the church and when that film was on , anyone coming out of mass saw in big writing across the road
    " The Pope must Die" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I can't stand "The Family". I don't know who the bastards are, but they keep causing hassle for all the families I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Had written the dude off in 2000! God knows how much longer he'll last. His views seem mindless in this modern day. But this is a first-world view. Think his "proclamations" are more geared toward 3rd world though.

Prediction: Next pope will be African and not much less anti-homesexuality or AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

My Prediction/Hope:
    The next pope will be a 25 year old, extremely handsome gay man who will rule the world with a deliciously gay fist. Its the only way.

The Church is the biggest instrument of evil on this earth. It has caused more wars and incited more hatred than any other institution or person ever has. It comforts mothers by telling them their unbaptised babies are trapped forever in limbo. Your relatives who have died are burning in cleansing fires in purgatory for their sins. What a lovely way to bring gods message and to top it all off people like your man Casey get married and have kids on the sly, not to mention the fella who fleeced Trocaire that time and the Child Abuse Scandals. They are in no place to cast aspersions on good people who love each other, just cos they are both men. They themselves have said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". They had want to take a long look at themselves first. Then again they have always been hippocrits throughout the ages.

• Advertisement

My Prediction/Hope:
    The next pope will be a 25 year old, extremely handsome gay man who will rule the world with a deliciously gay fist. Its the only way.
    Absolutely no way! 50yr old gay is only acceptable imho! The idea of the same pope for 70 years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Your relatives who have died are burning in cleansing fires in purgatory for their sins.

And your poor depressed friend who had no hope left, or your sick relative with terminal cancer who couldn't take the pain any more and killed themselves - both went straight to hell. Talk about justice.
    The next pope will be a 25 year old, extremely handsome gay man who will rule the world with a deliciously gay fist.

That would be SUPER!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Thats exactly it.

And what would priests even know about family. They cant get married. They dont co-habit. They have never had the problem of having a relationship recognised legally. They have never felt the love of a partner be they male female or undisclosed ;) .

And any of them that have experienced the above had better be protestant.

It makes me sick to see how men have taken the word of god, and the message of jesus christ and built centuries of rules, hatred and doctrine on it. So much so, that if Jesus says love thy neighbour in the bible, the pope can actually correct the supposed "Word of God" and qualify it as meaning "Love thy neighbour as long as he isnt a homosexual". Its disgusting.

It makes me sick to see how men have taken the word of god, and the message of jesus christ and built centuries of rules, hatred and doctrine on it. So much so, that if Jesus says love thy neighbour in the bible, the pope can actually correct the supposed "Word of God" and qualify it as meaning "Love thy neighbour as long as he isnt a homosexual". Its disgusting.
    Have to agree with this... (Still think you don't want any pope for more than 30 years though).

Happy Saturnalia Everyone! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Can I just ask 'why' a gay couple would want to be married in the eyes of the catholic church. A church that doesnt accept your way of life ?

• Advertisement

None of us have ever asked to be married in the eyes of the Catholic Church. It would be nice though for the Church to stop acting like they "own" marriage. Plenty of other religions/denominations have marriage, some have had the concept long before the Catholic Church came into existence and not all of them are anti-gay. In light of this we ask that the Catholic Church stay the **** away from state decisions in the area. If they don't want to marry gays that's fine, but people shoud still be allowed get married civilly or in the eyes of a different church.

Stark wrote:
    None of us have ever asked to be married in the eyes of the Catholic Church. It would be nice though for the Church to stop acting like they "own" marriage. Plenty of other religions/denominations have marriage, some have had the concept long before the Catholic Church came into existence and not all of them are anti-gay. In light of this we ask that the Catholic Church stay the **** away from state decisions in the area. If they don't want to marry gays that's fine, but people shoud still be allowed get married civilly or in the eyes of a different church.
    What you mean to say is the Irish State should stay the fúck away from the Catholic church and allow gay marriages perhaps... Who really gives a flying fúck what the pope thinks... think this is about tax/civil justice tbh!

On rethink...

I only said what I said 'coz I don't give a ff! The next pope should entertain gay couples, gay marriage - all of it!

I think this is 2 popes away though :(

The next pope should entertain gay couples

The pope's barely fabulous enough to entertain a group of old women, let alone discerning queers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

An aggressive attempt to legally undermine the family?

Tell the truth, what do you homos have against the mafia?!
    Spill the beans!!!

Advertisement