Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Why use firefox or opera over IE?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Slightly of topic

Is anyone else have problems with Bandwidth tester tonight. For some reason I keep getting Not responding message and then causes firfox to close. Was working fine earlier on this evening.

By the way I pre Firfox by a mile over IE and only gave opera a short trial but i got to attached to Firefor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 LakeHMM

Well, there is absolutely NO doubt that both are far better than Internet Explorer. They have tabbed browsing, have far more other features, are faster, more stable, and more secure, among much else. But as to which of the two to choose, it's really which features you prefer the most. I have both, and have tried both extensively. I personally use Opera much more.

Firefox seems to run faster just because it lacks many of the functions Opera has. That's not to say that Opera is slow, though. On Mac OS X it is slow (but so is everything else). On Windows XP, which I use for the most part, it's great. If you do web development, especially with JavaScript, Firefox does have some handy inspectors and debuggers for that. Other than that, both browsers have RSS features, but only Opera has mail features. They both have skins. Firefox has extensions, while Opera does not. There are a lot of little conveniences with Opera that have won my preference. I would recommend you just try both out. But...IE...just no.

Oh, and what you said about Opera not being free is incorrect. It has a free version and a paid version. The ONLY difference between the two is that the free version has a modest advertising banner in the top right corner. Besides that, it has all of the functionality. I think there might be differences in the technical support you receive or something, too. Anyways, Opera is basically free, unless the ad bar bothers you that much.

Between the two, it comes pretty close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 LakeHMM

ai ing wrote:
    Why does nobody mention that to get Opera without the banner ads it will cost you $39?

Because it's really not that big of a deal. The banner's just...there. I never notice it. It never does anything. We have a healthy relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Quite simply, Firefox is safer, doesn't have swiss cheese holes in it like IE, blocks unwanted garbage and in general is easy to use fast, free and allows you to pause downloads without having to cancel and restart them. :)

Advertisement