Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download v Upload speeds

• 22-12-2004 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am uploading a file(www.yousendit.com) and wanted to check my speed

Downloaded a program called DuMeter and it came up

DL fluctuates between 0.2 kB/Sec to 8.3

UL 16.5 ti 8.2 to 4.36

both sporadic

Is my connection up to scratch or should I get in touch with my ISP who are Utv Internet, think the speed is 512

The file is about 100mb and its taken ages to load up

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

adsl = Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line

by Asymmetric it means you upload much slower than you can downlaod
    i think the normal upload speed for adsl in ireland is about 12 kbs but i normaly download at 52 kbs
    thats what i get anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you're uploading you won't be downloading much.

UTV adsl is 512 up and 128 down.

you divide them figures by 8 to get your download and upload speeds

512 = 64k MAX speed.
    128 = 16k MAX Speed.

in theory that's what you should get but considering that you are sharing a connection with a max of 48 people (on the lower priced UTV product) and 24 people (on the higher priced product i think) you'll never get them max speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Most Broadband in Ireland is ADSL - thats assymetric digital subscriber line.

The downloading speed is a maximum of 512 (most are lucky to get 450), but the upload is 128. This remaining bandwith is so you can use your phone also.

Irish Broadband uses the airwaves, so it achieves true DSL (512 each way)

128kb/sec: There are 8 bits in a byte, so the absolute maximum you could potentially recieve (if you're living nextdoor to the exhange and you are the only person connected) is 16KB/sec

Your download should be capable of achieving upto 50KB/sec, 8.3 is very low for this. Ensure all firewalls are turned off and try again. Try other programs also. Just like IQ tests, different testing methods achieve varying results.

Technically, if you get 129kb/sec download it is broadband, so you are far from sueing them, but you may be doing something wrong that they can fix.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Your download should be capable of achieving upto 50KB/sec, 8.3 is very low for this. Ensure all firewalls are turned off and try again.
    yeh but if he is only uploading a file and doing nothing else surely his download speed wouldnt be high at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

I am not downloading anything. Will turn off Firewall but thats all thats running

I was uploading the file and it was still uploading after an hour and it was head wrecking

So basically the utv internet is good for downloading, and I have had no problem with that. However if I want to upload a large file I am fecked

Is there anything I can do to get a better upload speed ?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

no, there is nothing you can do to better the speed up as the technology is limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You mean Eircom's marketing dept has decided to limit the speed.

Blaster99 wrote:

why would that decision be left up to marketing?
    but ya it was eircoms decision in the uk they get twice the uoload speed that we do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Blaster99 wrote:
    Well, the technology used means you will always have faster download than upload, and for most users, thats pretty good. A lot of users wouldn't usually need a lot of upload speed. If you're just a gamer/downloader/browser, you don't need it.

However if you routinely upload large files, then you really should look at non-ADSL packages. IBB and possibly a few other companies offer syncronous connections, meaning you get as much upload speed as download speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The reason it was left up to marketing? Because Eircom's leased line rates are a phenomenal rip-off even by Eircom's standards so they wanted to protect that revenue when rolling out ADSL. I know of ADSL installations in other countries where the upload speed exceeds the download speed. In some countries the upload speed isn't specified, merely stated as "it may be lower than the download speed". I don't know the ins and outs of the technology, but rest assured that Eircom has artificially strangled the speeds.

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    I know of ADSL installations in other countries where the upload speed exceeds the download speed.

then it would not be adsl, maybe sdsl that would mean upload and download speed are the same but you have to be closer to the exchange for that to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

tuxy wrote:
    sdsl that would mean upload and download speed are the same but you have to be closer to the exchange for that to work?
    Yeah, as far as i know SDSL means you have as much upload as download. and VDSL is some kind of uber fast DSL, but you have to be really really close to the exchange to benefit from it. I.e within a few hundred metres.

The odds of us getting SDSL in the near future are quite slim, so if you want more upload, go wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tabydub

Eircom home packages are not adsl the are RADSL which is Rate adaptive dsl in other words it depends on the quality of your line etc as to you up/down load speed also on their home packages their contention rate is 48:1 so you speed up isnt gonna be much better unless you opt for a business pk with at least 256k upload

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Hi

Thanks for the advice

Dont upload much files just a few rather than email them. I am 'stuck' in the 1 year package with Utv and they are ok for download speeds

Maybe when it expires I will look for anyone whose upload and download speeds are similar

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TCP/IP traffic can be quite bursty at times. DuMeter updates the speeds very quickly, so it gives a reading that's a little too accurate. Afaik, most download managers that report the speed actually give an amount averaged over the last few ms.

Best thing to do to verify your download speeds is to download a large file from ftp.heanet.ie. Should give the best indicator.

Advertisement