Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysitters. How Much?

Options
  • 22-12-2004 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Just started using a babysitter who isn't a family member so I actually have to start putting the hand in the wallet... I was wondering how much other people paid babysitters. We paid her 8 euro an hour. Is this enough or too little. Usually she minds them(2 year old and a two month old) for four hours. 8 - 12 on a Friday night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭shelly04

some sat nights i babysit my mums mates daughters 2 kids (6 and 8) usually from half 8 til about 1 and i get 20 euros..so i reckon that babysitters doing very well..depends on the person really. ive babysat a 10 mth who woke up and i got 50 euro for 2 and a half hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭beer enigma

We used babysitters up until a short while ago & agreed a rate of €25 a night, irrespective of whether we used her for 5 hours or two hours. evens itself out after a while & saves all the hassle of worrying 'is that enough' or 'what shall we pay her'.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Brian017

I charge €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 greengoddess

We pay 6€ per hour before midnight and €8 per hour after midnight, and usually round it up to the nearest fiver. So if we were out from 8 - 1 it would be €35 I would never give less than €25 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

:eek: I've been robbed! We were told by a babysitter that the average national rate was ten euros an hour. No-one else I know has a baby so I didn't check. My own fault I suppose. It was way too expensive so my friends babysit for me now, I normally make them dinner as payment, or give them 20 quid if they'll let me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Jr.Shabadu wrote:
    :eek: I've been robbed! We were told by a babysitter that the average national rate was ten euros an hour. No-one else I know has a baby so I didn't check. My own fault I suppose. It was way too expensive so my friends babysit for me now, I normally make them dinner as payment, or give them 20 quid if they'll let me.

Jr. Shabadu seems you don't know anyone else who has a baby check out these sites (Irish mainly) for excellent advice, support etc. You can join baby/toddler/older kids/mums to be clubs for women with kids the same age as your baby.

www.eumom.com/ie
    www.rollercoaster.ie
    www.magicmum.com (my favourite one)

To the original poster do a search as their was a similar thread here a while ago re babysitting rates.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'd say €8 an hour is a pretty standard rate, that's how much I get an hour from the couple I babysit for and I'm happy enough with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

I have paid approx €8 per hour for the last couple of years, she is 23 so I guess we are nearing an end - she makes her own way in her own car. If we are out for say 3 and a bit hours, I round it up to 30. It would be nice I guess to agree a rate irrespective of hours out but we never really stay out late as i know it will be ME who has to get up during the night or fat best first thing in the morning ! The main drawback with an older babysitter is that she isnt always around due to her social life !

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭cecilwinthorpe

I babysit for a variety of families around dublin and i get paid anything between 8-12 euro an hour depending on who i babysit for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kareny

im 19 years old and i babysit a good bit for the same woman...i mind two boys 3 and 4.. i babysat from 7pm to half3 am one nite and she gave me 50euros... am i getting ripped off??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Brian Dublin

Just started using a babysitter who isn't a family member so I actually have to start putting the hand in the wallet... I was wondering how much other people paid babysitters. We paid her 8 euro an hour. Is this enough or too little. Usually she minds them(2 year old and a two month old) for four hours. 8 - 12 on a Friday night.

its 10 euro an hour less all the phone calls they make and snacks they munch. So between 8 and 12 the baby sitter should pay you 2 .50 before they go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's €8 - €10 per hour before midnight in my area. I wouldn't mind babysitting myself just to get a break from my own and not have them hog the tv.

It's a few years since I had a babysitter and back then it was €8 per hour plus I often ordered in pizza for him and my 2 boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

8-10 per huor seems about right....ive been babysitting since I was about 13 (i know, looking back i cant beleive it either) Average 8pm -12pm I'd get about €25...later than that and they'd give me a bit extra. I always made a point of never using the phone (evryone has a mobile now, they shouldnt have to) and never having anybody over without the parents permission either (and even then it was usually just a friend, never boys!) Dont be afraid to set some rules for the sitter either...it is your house after all, they should respect that at least.

Also, it really helps if you tell the kids their bed time in front of the sitter...while I always made a point of having kids in bed by time parents came home, the oldest boy (aged 7 when i started, 13 when i finshed sitting for them) would sit up til near 11pm with me!

Loved babysitting....best job i ever had....*reminisces*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

kareny wrote: »
    im 19 years old and i babysit a good bit for the same woman...i mind two boys 3 and 4.. i babysat from 7pm to half3 am one nite and she gave me 50euros... am i getting ripped off??

I'd have given my babysitter about 70-80 for that stint. The general rule I use is €5/hr before midnight and €10/hr after and then I round up a good bit (e.g 8-12 I'd usually give 35-40). My babysitter won't set a rate and the kids love her so I'm always conscious that I want to keep her happy. She's never complained about her pay - in fact sometimes she says I pay her too much which I don't accept at all - she's worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭kaa

i used to babysit before i had my own daughter. and i used to get between 5euro and 10euro. so to me that sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dublin Mama

Is there any official website for babysitters? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I m 19 and have 2 jobs babysitting and hairdressing I'm get 5 euro for babysitting per hour and 5.70 for hairdressing.. Am I being ripped off cause I feel I am. I'm doing so many hours work and getting Bearly anything for it

We pay 6€ per hour before midnight and €8 per hour after midnight, and usually round it up to the nearest fiver. So if we were out from 8 - 1 it would be €35 I would never give less than €25 though.

I get paid 20 for babysitting 5 or more hours and considering I always top up by five euro before and I only got 15 , its the only money I get so it's not great,

When I started out I said €5 cause I didn't wanna be scabby but now I babysit for so many families and learnt my lesson when the other families asked me so I charge around the €7 but the first family that I said €5 to ask me the most and I normally sit for 6-7 hours and even on school days and I feel like I'm being ripped off but don't know how to address it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

zombie thread closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement