Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Bank Robbery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Nothing about defending anyone, more like agreeing with the Independent International Commissioning for Decommissioning and what everyone agreed to to. New conditions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

You have not answered any of the questions above.

You ask about "New conditions" ? Kneecappings, bank robbories, survellance at Stormont, lack of transparency etc

Not answered your questions? 1st off it is the wrong thread but here goes
    true wrote:
    I read it but it does not matter. There is no proof or even list of what the provos actually decomissioned, if anything.

Apart from the word of the IIDC that substantial quantities were decommissioned. Why do you dispute this?
    After all these years, the Irish and British people want them to try harder. They have, after all, by far the biggest arsenal of illegal arms in the country.

The people voted for the IIDC to give them the answer on decommissioning, you believe that should change?
    Have they got rid of any semtex , for example? Why would they hang on to 30 tons of this ?

Probably considering that explosives form part of the decommissioning verified by the IIDC. Why do you not believe them?
    We all know what it can do in the wrong hands e.g. look at Omagh.

Yes, an act which was not carried out by the Provisional IRA and explosives can be sourced in the future which really makes all the new demands academic.
    Why would they want to hang on to so much explosives and guns?

Political leverage I suppose, it was agreed that the Good Friday Agreement would implement all sorts of changes. Have they all happened?
    There are not that many more Northern banks to rob.

I must have missed the bit where people were actually convicted of the big robbery
    Why would a Dub in Glasgow want to defend them hanging on to so much?

See my original answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Muck wrote:
    Villains 20-1

M

Nah, Aston Villa fans are far too nice!

Mike.

feck thats 10,000 posts! :eek:

mike65 wrote:
    Nah, Aston Villa fans are far too nice!

Mike.

feck thats 10,000 posts! :eek:

If it was not for the 10k, I would squirm at that attempt :D

• Advertisement

Living here on the island of Ireland tells me that all of the people I know, north and south of the border, want the IRA to be seen to decommission. Not a single gun has proven to be decommissioned so far. You cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

You say "Political leverage I suppose," for why the IRA has not decommissioned. Holding soooo many illegial guns and sooooo much semtex is soooo much more than politics, my friend.

true wrote:
    Living here on the island of Ireland tells me that all of the people I know, north and south of the border, want the IRA to be seen to decommission.

Is that a poor attempt to say that I should have no say? All the people I know on the island of Ireland want to know why the Independent International Committe on Decommissioning is not to be believed. care to shed any light on this?
    Not a single gun has proven to be decommissioned so far. You cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

You do not agree with the statements from the Independent International Committe on Decommissioning? Why not?
    You say "Political leverage I suppose," for why the IRA has not decommissioned.

No, I said not decommissioned everything
    Holding soooo many illegial guns and sooooo much semtex is soooo much more than politics, my friend.

What if it was legal?

I note you have not answered one question put to you even though I have answered all yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Quick question. I work for company X. If I rob a bank does that mean that my employer is guilty of robbing the bank?

MrP

I said "Holding soooo many illegial guns and sooooo much semtex is soooo much more than politics, my friend." , because you said holding on to so much arms and explosives was " just political leverage".

In reply the Dub in Glasgow asks "What if it was legal?" That has nothing to do with it. The fact is the guns and explosives are illegal. However, your answers do give us all ( the 82 % of the Irish population that want to see IRA decommissioning ) plenty of reason to distrust the provos, as if we did not have enough already.

"Ye gotta be near the action to have your finger on the pulse". Have you ever lived in Northern Ireland, Mr. Dub in Glasgow?

true wrote:
    "Ye gotta be near the action to have your finger on the pulse". Have you ever lived in Northern Ireland, Mr. Dub in Glasgow?

Right, we are now into the 'please provide your personal history' mode now. You know where I am from and where I currently located, what about your details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

See my reply to you in the decommissioning thread
    Which one (thread)? :(

true, without wanting to go off topic, the amount of decommissioning engaged in is more that "not a bullet, not an ounce" and less than everything. More than likely, all the homemade explosives (less than stable) and Semtex (beyond it's best before date) are gone. Improvised detonators, weapons and other devices are likely gone.

The real question comes down what has happened the bulk of mostly AK-47 and miscellaneous type rifles, shotguns and handguns (and associated ammunition) and assorted other weapons like grenades, machine guns and RPGs.

The method of decommissioning is a (less than) open secret (that I'm not sharing, but has been published in several places).

Victor wrote:
    Which one (thread)? :(

It was late :o I was talking about the other thread where true was posting about the same stuff (the Paisley thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think that both SF/IRA & the DUP will not compromise before the UK election.

Hopefully the electorate of NI will see thru see thru "not a inch" type posturing.

I think the Columbia 3 & the Niall Binead case do nothing for the Peace Process.

Survallance on Irish TDs is a worrying development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Cork wrote:
    I think that both SF/IRA & the DUP will not compromise before the UK election.

Hopefully the electorate of NI will see thru see thru "not a inch" type posturing.

I think the Columbia 3 & the Niall Binead case do nothing for the Peace Process.

Survallance on Irish TDs is a worrying development.
    and none of that has anything to do with a bank robbery

whoever they were good luck to them

although it is going to take an awful long time to launder that money in 20s at an ice skating rink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

An Ice Skating Rink in UVF Territory Dundonald .

I'd say the UVF get the notes at trade prices too , £1 for a £20 for example , seeing as bizniss is bizniss :)

M

Muck wrote:
    An Ice Skating Rink in UVF Territory Dundonald .

I'd say the UVF get the notes at trade prices too , £1 for a £20 for example , seeing as bizniss is bizniss :)

M
    of course maybe the UVF took time off from killing other loyalists and robbed the bank themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

See my odds.

They coulda BOUGHT them dammit . Expect some £20 shows in the Felons club too . :)

M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

cdebru wrote:
    whoever they were good luck to them
    And again, tacit approval of violent criminal activity.

"Good luck to them"? You're wishing good fortune on people who stole other people's money, and threatened bank officials' families with violence to facilitate the act?

There may be the faintest veneer of an excuse for so-called "political" crimes, but this kind of cheerleading for venial thuggery is really making me sick.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

oscarBravo wrote:
    And again, tacit approval of violent criminal activity.

"Good luck to them"? You're wishing good fortune on people who stole other people's money, and threatened bank officials' families with violence to facilitate the act?

There may be the faintest veneer of an excuse for so-called "political" crimes, but this kind of cheerleading for venial thuggery is really making me sick.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I really dont feel ashamed

whoever managed to rob 22 million sterling good luck to them
    even if it turns out to be the UVf

the banks rob people every day of the week some one managed to make off with some of their cash you have to have at least a sneaking regard for them.

I feel sorry for the families that went trough that ordeal but at the end of the day no one was hurt no one is dead it is only money.

and if I think if most people tought they could rob a bank of 22 million and get away with it they would do it

and if I think if most people tought they could rob a bank of 22 million and get away with it they would do it

Stealing money is wrong. There is no justification.

This robbery will only add mis trust to a fragile peace process.

What ever side planned it - it shows absolute comtempt for the Peace Process.

Shame on those who carried it out.

Hopefully, they'll be cought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

cdebru wrote:

Good for you then. Yay etc.

Good for them then. Yay as well.
    the banks rob people every day of the week some one managed to make off with some of their cash you have to have at least a sneaking regard for them.

No, no you don't. Whether or not the banks "rob" people or not isn't the point of the thread. These people, used violence and intimidation to obtain money which didn't belong to them.

Where do you think the cost of the extra security measures which will now have to be taken etc etc will end up coming from? The customers of the bank. Those people who are being "robbed". So really, they stole money from the everyday Joe Soaps who happen to bank with the Northern.
    I feel sorry for the families that went trough that ordeal but at the end of the day no one was hurt no one is dead it is only money.

No one was hurt physically. A bit of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

finlma wrote:
    Hardly idiots. Smart guys I'd say. The fact that they organised a robbery of this magnitude means they have some plan to launder the cash. Its not that difficult to launder money with the right contacts.

I say all due respect to them. The banks rob from everyone of us every day and these guys were brave enough to pull a heist.

Expect to see Oceans 25 on your screens next Christmas.
    cdebru wrote:

Either of you ever been in an armed robbery?
    With somebody screaming at you "Give us the bleedin' money" etc.
    It's extremely upsetting
    Some people never recover from it.

as for the comment about banks robbing people every day of the week - that's a load of rubbish. Would you care to explain exactly how this is done?
    Overcharging and interest loading by certain banks on some customers over a period of time does not equate to robbing people every day of the week.

If your gripe is with their profits - well then you can level that accusation at any business who dares make money for themselves.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What other crimes are ok?

Tax evasion?
    Murder?

This bank riad will have implications for the Peace process. If this raid - wrecks the Good Friday agreement - Those anti agreement republicans and loyalists wil also think it was worth it.

this is Northern bank
    Part of the National Australia group

which includes NIB

well excuse me if I dont get too concerned about a bunch of thieves being robbed

If someone broke into John Gilligans house and robbed the ****er blind would it be a crime yes would i give a **** no

if these guys are caught they will go to jail thats more than what happened to the thieves in the NIB who got of scot free how much did they steal

Cork wrote:
    What other crimes are ok?

Tax evasion?

Apparantly, tax evasion is considered OK by most of the big political parties and the governement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

cdebru wrote:
    I think if most people tought they could rob a bank of 22 million and get away with it they would do it

Where's your morality? You sound like a typical shinner to me.

smiaras wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Not funny at all that the movers and shakers of this country over the last 30 years committed crimes to avoid paying tax. You can only close loopholes if it is tax avoidance. For tax evasion to occur, the loophole must have already been closed and it is/was a crime.

Not funny at all that the movers and shakers of this country over the last 30 years committed crimes to avoid paying tax. .

A bit of a generalisation, Dub in Glasgow? Just because there may have been one or two rotten appels in the barrel eg Charlie Haughey, does not mean the whole barrel is rotten. Not everyone is crooked. Or when you say "this country" do you mean your adopted country, where presumably you pay your taxes, or do you mean Rep. of Ireland.

You can only close loopholes if it is tax avoidance. For tax evasion to occur, the loophole must have already been closed and it is/was a crime.

It it quite interesting how you can consider someone paying less tax that they should in the 26 counties as having commited a crime when you do not consider for example the murder of the Guard in Adare a crime ? I bet if a northern nationalist on the Falls Road avoids or evades tax to H.M. government you would not consider that a crime ? Or someone who avoides paying their BBC TV licence (like everyone else) in South Armagh ?

If you are a Sinn Fein supporter you can use whatever hippocritical argument you can to attack southern constituonal politicians.

• Advertisement

true wrote:
    A bit of a generalisation, Dub in Glasgow? Just because there may have been one or two rotten appels in the barrel eg Charlie Haughey, does not mean the whole barrel is rotten. Not everyone is crooked. Or when you say "this country" do you mean your adopted country, where presumably you pay your taxes, or do you mean Rep. of Ireland.

Here we go again, I live in Scotland now and pay income tax to the UK government therefore according to 'true', my view is less valid. Get a life!
    It it quite interesting how you can consider someone paying less tax that they should in the 26 counties as having commited a crime when you do not consider for example the murder of the Guard in Adare a crime ?

Read what I actually, not what you think I said. Tax 'avoidance' is not a crime. Tax 'evasion' is. I would like if all the 'avoidance' loopholes are closed.

Of course, the Adare killing is a crime. I just believe that crime comes under the prisoner release program of the GFA. Is that a crime?
    If you are a Sinn Fein supporter you can use whatever hippocritical argument you can to attack southern constituonal politicians.

You mean it is OK for me to have a view now??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement