Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom BB Wireless Question

• 22-12-2004 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm on Eircom BB and I use the Netopia Cayman modem using the USB connection to my pc. I can connect to the internet with the usb in the computer and the ethernet in my laptop at the same time but this means I have to have my laptop beside the computer to use the internet which kind of defeats the purpouse...

Anyway I was just wondering is there any way of connection something to my modem to allow me to use Wireless on my laptop (i have a wireless card as I use wireless in college)?

If so where'd I get one of these things and how much would it cost.

Btw the ethernet won't work on my pc so I need some way of connecting something to the modem that doesn't involve unplugging the usb from the pc.

Thanks, Steve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

Buy a wireless access point, should plug into your ethernet connection on modem.
    Can be configured from PC when it's plugged in
    Cost cheap for cheap ones(40-€60) expensive €80+
    I think the PC wont use ethernet cuz you installed eircom software telling PC to connect through USB for dsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

one of these http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10282
    you just plug the eircom modem into it

ethernet should work on your pc once you set your network card to obtain ip and dns automatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bass.exe

Ooh, err... this is a right mess. You can get a bridge - essentially a wireless switch that connects (via ethernet) to another switch and or router.

Try something like this

Afaik, this'll work in your situation - However you'll only be able to connect one wired (the modem) and one wireless (your laptop) to this at a time.

Now, I could be wrong, as I have not got much experience with wireless networking, so do not take this as gospel.

Edit: Ok, two people said the same. Take it as gospel :D

Bass.exe wrote:
    Ooh, err... this is a right mess. You can get a bridge - essentially a wireless switch that connects (via ethernet) to another switch and or router.

Try something like this

Afaik, this'll work in your situation - However you'll only be able to connect one wired (the modem) and one wireless (your laptop) to this at a time.

Now, I could be wrong, as I have not got much experience with wireless networking, so do not take this as gospel.

Edit: Ok, two people said the same. Take it as gospel :D

yes you are wrong you can connect 4 wired and i think 100 wireless connections to it
    and i dont know what you mean by messy all you do is connect the modem to the wireless router and make a few setting changes on the admin page

Yes, when I first posted I was thinking USB... USB... how the hell would you do this by USB, but then I came to my senses and realised "Duh, wireless bridge"

Are you sure you can connect 4x wired devices? It's just the description says:
    1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45
    1 x network - Radio-Ethernet

• Advertisement

oh ya thats all you can connect to that
    it would be better to get a wireless router ( the ones i linked to )
    they are 4 port switchs and allow alot of wireless connections

Yeah, router is a better idea... wonder why bridges are so expensive....

Go with tuxys' choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Cheers lads, I'll have a look for one of these access point thingies

SteveD wrote:
    Cheers lads, I'll have a look for one of these access point thingies

what you want is a wireless router no wireless access point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Invader Zim

An acces point will do you (plugged into the ethernet socket on Cayman).
    You'll need wireless NIC in the laptop too (if it's not built in).

Bit of off topic info...
    Switch/hub == connects ethernet devices together, may (rarely) have wireless capability.

Router == a device which concentrates requests from many (local) ethernet devices into one single address (and vis versa), typically for connecting WANS together or for connecting multiple devices into a "modem" for internet use (sometimes called broadband routers - even though all routers can do this). Most routers (all?) have switchs/hubs built in. - NOTE : many routers have "modems" built in and are refered to as cable/dsl routers. Some have wireless capability and are called wireless routers. Those that have both are called cable/dsl wireless routers.

Wireless Access points == devices that give wireless capability to a wired network by attaching to a hub/switch or router.

EDIT
    PS - Your Cayman is a dsl router with USB and ethernet.

EDIT EDIT
    If you ever need to add more wired devices to the Cayman after you have attached the wireless access point just put a switch/hub between the two. :)

• Advertisement

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302462&cks=SER so this here is what I need?

I can't find anything in the specs about the connection but does this plug into the Ethernet port on my modem?

And will my laptop just pick up the wireless signal and start using it? (I do have a wireless card which I use on the wireless network in college)

Cheers for the help men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

Yes, that is all you need and it will plug into the ethernet connection on on your 'DSL cable/modem router box thingy' .
    Your 'DSL cable/modem router box thingy' should be on 'DHCP' so you will (and your neighbours unless you put on W.E.P) will be able to automatically connect to the internet.
    XP has a built in 'Zero configuration wireless configurationer' which means you should be able to connect straight away.

thanks mate i'll order it later

Advertisement