Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drive! on tv again?

Options
  • 22-12-2004 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Remember the excellent Drive! motoring programme that used to be on RTE ?

Well, I contacted the editor of Drive! magazine to ask if it will be returning to our screen in 2005. He has informed me that they are in negotiations with RTE - but not to 'hold my breath' for a positive outcome anytime soon.

He did suggest that some letters (or emails!) to RTE in support of the programme would be a great help.

So how about it ?

We could each send an email in support of the show to RTE's head of programming !

.........that's if I could only find his/her email address on RTE's website ???

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The show was absolute drivel with reviews of long released cars by mundane presenters!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Was a very boring and pointless programme to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

kbannon wrote:
    The show was absolute drivel ....

Intentional or not, i love the pun
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Drive was OK, I wouldn't mind seeing it back for a new series. What was the name of that sexy bird that used to present it? Not Lorraine Keane or Sarah Kavanagh, there was another one as well.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Drive was the one with Karl Tsidigiouousuly was'nt it? ;) Hardly watched it I must say, always prefered Deals on Wheels meself.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    the one with Karl Tsidigiouousuly was'nt it?

Oooo-oooooh :eek:

I dunno how that man ever got to be a motoring journalist :confused: I never cared until he joined up with the Irish edition of the Sunday Times :(

But never mind me, the 'ceptr will go beserk for you even mentioning him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

It was a complete waste of time that show.
    The cars were so long released,,,, you`d nearly think you were watching a repeat. Like most Rte shows, they made an arse of it.

How could you have really liked that show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

mike65 wrote:
    Drive was the one with Karl Tsidigiouousuly was'nt it? ;) Hardly watched it I must say, always prefered Deals on Wheels meself.

Mike.

Is that the fella who does the voice of the dog on the Disney Club? Biggish sort of lad?

He was terrible on Drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Would agree with the argument that the presenters were rubbish & the cars were long released but they dealt with real life cars, cars that your average joe can afford. I love Top Gear but, in fairness, they tend to only show off expensive cars that most of us can't afford.

fletch wrote:
    Would agree with the argument that the presenters were rubbish & the cars were long released but they dealt with real life cars, cars that your average joe can afford. I love Top Gear but, in fairness, they tend to only show off expensive cars that most of us can't afford.

True - good point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

mike65 wrote:
    ...always prefered Deals on Wheels meself.
    Great show alright....would give you a bit of confidence to bargain with a saleman and not just passively pay the asking price

It really does need a new presenter though!

fletch wrote:
    Great show alright....would give you a bit of confidence to bargain with a saleman and not just passively pay the asking price

If I had to choose between a show featuring spangly new machines and one with old bangers I know I'd always watch the latter. Home and Leisure on cable/Sky show Deals... plus 5th Gear and Wheeler Dealers etc. All required Christmas viewing!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

My long lasting memory od Drive! was when they got there hands on a Dodge Viper. The guy spent ages talking about hw much torque the car had and that it could pull off in 5 gear: then he stalled it :)

When he eventually did get a wheel spin out of it he put on an american accent and said "Sqeal like a big..." worst part is I think he was one producers or had some diret input into the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I also enjoy seeing features on normal cars, cheap cars and bangers. Top Gear has done a lot of these recently eg buying a Porsche for 1500 quid. And I loved the "people carrier banger race" that they did :)

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

C'mon peeps, Top Gear has a multi-million pound budget to broadcast to over 60 million people, and it wasn't exactly great when Drive was last around. The car market has changed a lot here in the last few years, if Drive makes a comeback I bet it will be a lot better than it used to be. I remember they used to do a lot of motoring features on things like safety and drugs and stuff too. They made the best of what they had, plus the lack of the insufferable Clarkson has to be a major plus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

BrianD3 wrote:
    And I loved the "people carrier banger race" that they did

Best laugh I had in ages.

Ah, it was'nt as good as car darts!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I liked Drive! because -

A. It was an Irish motoring programme
    B. It had features about older cars
    C. It had some nice looking chicks :D
    D. It was a well made/presented programme
    E. They did speed tests in Baldonnel (.... I'm an Irish Air Corps supporter!)
    F. ........it was better than the Top Gear of the time !

Given the choice, I too would pick a programme like Wheeler Dealers or Deals on Wheels (though not necessarily with their current presenters!) - I prefer features on secondhand/classic/vintage vehicles over the non-stop new car reviews as per Top Gear ............ tho they are starting to do some older car features recently.

We need our own car programme here in Ireland, with Irish presenters, and showing the type of cars we buy !

Perhaps it's time for an 'all Ireland' (i.e. Republic and North) car programme !?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

at least we have CARFILE!

*runs and hides*

• Advertisement

What is 'CARFILE' ?

Haven't seen/heard of that before (don't have UTV, have ITV Wales) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Carfile---was trying to think of the name of it,(tnx Tommy).......you missed nothing Silvera......was on RTE........an incredible heap of s........

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Was just about to say that - whatever about Drive!, Carfile was indeed the steamingist pile of televisual turd I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. Nothing of any merit whatsoever.

I was living abroad for most of 2004 hence didn't see 'Carfile'.

Still think that 'Drive' was very good, then again I was mostly interested in the classic cars and general motoring topics - as opposed to the new car reviews.

One thing we all agree on is that we need a motoring programme, Drive or otherwise !

Wake up RTE, TG4, TV3 !!!!!!!!

Actually, going on their record to date, TG4 would probably make the best car programme !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Carfile: two lads took I think 6 cars or so of a similar type and compared them on things like -performance,features,value etc Points were awarded one car was elimimated in each round.........sounds fairly resonable but the execution.......

This could have been a scenario :

'Now folks we're down to the last two cars in this weeks category-sports coupes,we have the Hyundai Coupe and the Nissan 350Z,but as the Nissan is a quare shade of blue,the Hyundai is the better car and this weeks winner '

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah yes, Car Darts was brilliant! :D

Advertisement