Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative place to get Service Pack 2?

• 22-12-2004 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

hi
    can i get or install windows xp pro service pack 2 without going through the microsoft site? (torrent etc?)
    lets just say i dont have a "formal" product key.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It came out on torrent immediatly after it was released as a chance to show how much torrents benefit file sharing, but it was removed after several orders or somesuch. Typical Microsoft.

Depending on your "formal" product key it may or may not work. You can only download it and find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

About 2 months ago it was being shipped with most pc magazines. Maybe you can find one of them. Tbh I don’t know why you would want to install it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

jessy wrote:
    About 2 months ago it was being shipped with most pc magazines. Maybe you can find one of them. Tbh I don’t know why you would want to install it.
    Am I the only one who hasn't had a single problem, other than it lowering my mic volume, with SP2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Winters wrote:
    It came out on torrent immediatly after it was released as a chance to show how much torrents benefit file sharing, but it was removed after several orders or somesuch. Typical Microsoft.

Depending on your "formal" product key it may or may not work. You can only download it and find out.
    Actually, they removed it to stop the chance that someone would alter it maliciously and then put it back out on file share, thus afflicting any number of people who download it. In sort, "typical Microsoft" was quite right to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

can i get or install windows xp pro service pack 2 without going through the microsoft site?

You can order a CD from microsoft here (don't need a product key "informal" or not)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

you don't need anything apart from an email address (and that's only for a confirmation email) and a delivery address .. you'll get the CD in about 4 weeks

I've installed on 4 PC's and a laptop - don't need a product key to install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its not like SP1 where they set it to not install onto machines using any of a bunch of known pirated keys - it should install on any system running XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Advertisement