Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the any Brazilian Ju Jitsu clubs on Northside Dublin?

• 22-12-2004 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I know there is a few BJJ clubs on the southside of Dublin but does anyone know any on the Northside that would cater for beginners ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Dunno about anywhere on the Northside. If you cant make it to SBG Harold's Cross (www.sbgireland.com), which is probably the furthest north of the SBG clubs, then your best bet is to find a good Judo club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Colm O'Reilly is your man, thoug I can't say if he trains in North Dublin or what, but I do know he trains/takes classes in UCD (correct me if I'm wrong).

Best you ask him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

I don't know of any BJJ clubs on the North Side, your best bet is to find a good wrestling or Judo club.

As for SBG's, check out

http://www.sbgireland.com
    http://www.twokingsmma.net
    http://www.geocities.com/ucdbjj

Take Care,
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Im2Lazy

Thanks to everyone who replied, really appreciate it.

I'm going to look for a Judo club in my area and to get over to SBG Harold's Cross in the mean time to see what that's like (anyone know when there starting back after New Year's ?).

Would Trad Ju Jitsu be any good, what I'm looking for is to get a better understanding of grappling & arm/leg locks primarily but I also want striking does Judo have that or is it all throws and locks.

thanks again for all the help.

Im2Lazy,

John will be back taking classes from Monday, January 10th.

JUdo doesn't have any striking. Technically, neither does BJJ, but SBG can cater for striking in the clinch and ground ranges. Otherwise check out a local boxing club or www.bridgestonemuaythai.com

Take Care,
    Colm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Is there any SBG in west Dublin, also how expensive is it to train. A friend of mine goes to seminars (100 euros) I think but don't quote me. That seems a bit steep, how expensive is it just to go to a boxing club?
    I had a look around the US website, some of the articles are really good, some of them though are just over my head, is a philosophy degree compulsory? lol
    He seems really into it, has a pile of training dvds but they just make me cynical surely the instructors should show you stuff without having to fork out for extra stuff, my budget wouldn't run that far.

Hi Mikel,

I suppose I'd be the furthest West of the SBG's in Dublin, out in Tallaght.

Does your friend just go to seminars? They can be good to learn techniques or concepts but you need to be rolling (sparring) regularly in order to develop skill.

As for the philosophy, a lot of the members of SBGi have found that Aliveness challenged a lot of their perceptions about martial arts, and so they have begun to question and explore other areas. But if you just want to use Functional JKD as a vehicle for fitness and self defence, that's cool also.

With regards buying lots of dvds, discovering jitz can be quite an experience. Some people just can't get enough of it, and so buy all the latest UFCs and training aids. I've never told anyone go and buy a dvd set as I feel this can make them into a jitz magpie - always after the latest shiny technique. However, there are a few I'd recommend if asked.

Hope this helps,
    Colm

thanks for the reply Colm, it just seemed odd, thats all. I have seen bjj people on the internet criticising other martial arts for being money orientated, buy a blackbelt for 99.99, that kind of thing.
    I'm not implying anything by it. I watched a tape with matt thornton, some of it seemed a bit preachy but a lot of it made sense, the idea of thinking for yourself and not buying into any bs. He made a good point about there being only a certain number of ways to tie up a person or break a joint and we know what they are. Seems sensible enough, how do they keep coming out with new stuff then? Do you or any of your guys use them or are they a waste of time?
    Would a good teacher teach you what was covered in them anyway?

Maybe the philosophy stuff goes over my head cos i haven't done any martial arts, could be aimed at guys with stuff to unlearn, or maybe i'm dumb. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Mikel,

I train with Colm and aside from borrowing the odd jitz book from a friend Id dont really go in for the whole book/video thing. Any good BJJ gym (any of the SBGs to be honest) teaches the fundamentals of BJJ. The people who kick ass at jitz consistently and over time are those who know the fundamentals really well.

Often new stuff comes into the BJJ scene when it is used either in a high profile BJJ/ Grappling or MMA competition e.g. the Twister. The technique catches people, people learn how to avoid it and suddenly its not so effective. The same cannot be said for the fundamentals. Armbars dont stop working and are consistent. They are fundamental.

The philosophy stuff is generally aimed at peeps coming from a traditional background!

Cheers,

Colum

That seems fair enough, just don't want to get roped into something that is lining people's pockets. I would be more used to playing football or gah. The bizarre conversations you see prople having on the net about martial arts don't seem to happen in any other sport. Can't see too many lads being inpressed by how many hurling dvds you own if you walk onto the pitch in anne's park.
    Just strikes me as really odd. Maybe I spend too much time lurking on martial arts forums.

• Advertisement

Mikel,

Some nice points raised there.
    I watched a tape with matt thornton, some of it seemed a bit preachy but a lot of it made sense, the idea of thinking for yourself and not buying into any bs.
    Matt's very blunt with people, add to that his deep voice and icy stare he seems preachy, but I've talked to him a lot, and "challenged" (ie asked) stuff he was saying in front of people and he's always willing to discuss that.
    how do they keep coming out with new stuff then? Do you or any of your guys use them or are they a waste of time?
    The new stuff is generally more concept based than technical innovations. They'll show better ways to train they'd discovered, how they perceive the ground game (five points for holding top, rather than "hey here's ten new weird submissions").

Functional JKD series 1 woke me up to realistic training. I've a few DVD's on clinch material. This is because there wasn't much clinch work being done in Ireland. Myself and a few others watched a bit, tried it out, and worked from there. The vids improved our learning curve, while the inquiry methods developed our skill.

Colum makes a good point about the innovations. I like to think of them as weird viruses that will cause havoc for a while, then people will come up with simple counters. Fundamentals like armbars are like the common cold, they'll get you everytime (if you're not careful!)
    Would a good teacher teach you what was covered in them anyway?
    I try ;)
    The bizarre conversations you see prople having on the net about martial arts don't seem to happen in any other sport.
    So true!

Take Care,
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Could yee define North and southside.
    Where are these various north and south side ju jitsu clubs that cater for beginners.

Could yee define North and southside.

North of the Liffey=Northside
    South of the Liffey=Southside

Liffey=main river that runs through Dublin :D

Matt's very blunt with people

I've no problem with that, if im doing something wrong i'd prefer to be told, not have someone lie to me and take my money anyway.
    I've had a look around his site, come of it makes interesting reading, and some other stuff

" .. . I remember it is all there and for I...she is.....but only I can discover if she will be. . . . .and we own it all.....and all was made for her and I.....and this seeing is why I am here....and she is there....and why one day we will be one."

:) erm, i'll get back to you.

Someone could do serious damage to their credit card in that store though :D
    Don't take that as a criticism though, im just nitpicking.
    I haven't seen JKD1, is it still relevant or is it outdated??

At the time it was revolutionary, the concept of Aliveness and all. Explained very well I thought.

As for the material covered in Stand Up, Clinch and Ground, there's better resources to learn from.

Peace Out,
    Colm

Advertisement