Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows x64

• 22-12-2004 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

i was looking at the microsoft site here and was wondering if it would be worth downloading.it comes with a free 360 day trial

i just wanted to know if anyone with a 64bit pc has already done so and if you think its worthwhile.or should i just wait for the finished version?

all advice gladly accepted :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It'd give absolutly no performance benefit using 32-bit software, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ah but surely they'd have ported minesweeper and freecell to 64bit? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget that at best you would be entitled to a small discount on the RRP when it comes out. So be prepared to shell out or rebuild your OS in a years time.

Again to point out the obvious, unless you have a "mission critical" app that you know has been ported to 64 bit there isn't much point. Longhorn has had so many things dropped to ship on time you might as well wait for the real thing. WinFS anyone ? Also will the interface be the same as the release version - compare XP and 2003, it would be a total waste of time to learn stuff that won't be used.

And TBH Dos 5.01 was the last Major M$ OS release that was essentially right without major fixes, and I've considered every release since then a BETA version (what you are downloading could even be Pre-Alpha), not to be trusted until the first service pack. (and for NT even service pack 6 had to be reissued as 6a and there are a lot of use waiting for XP service pack 2.x that fixes service pack 2))

Advertisement