Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband for Mountmellick, Portlaoise, Mountrath & Portarlington

Options
  • 22-12-2004 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Im not sure if it's allowed to post something like this, so Mod's pull it if it's not...and Sorry :)
    Myself and another co-worker are from the midland's in Janurary we will be establishing wireless broadband for the above town's and surrounding countryside....hopefully. There will be possibly be no download cap, just a fair access policy, also no telephone required. All equipment will be supplied free of charge, just an installation fee will be required. Our main transmitter will be located on the top of the slieve Bloom's mountain. We will also be offering a discount of our service to those whom are interested in hosting one of our node's. These subscriber's will have to be on some sort of a reasonable height. If you think you qualify, please do not hesitate to pm me and we will begin tests before commencement of our service. For all others whom would be interested, please post your interests, comments and also what else you would like from such a service.

Thank's very much

Padraig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sentenel

Hi Padraig,
    I'm in Dunmore (between Abbeyleix and Durrow) will your network reach over this far. We could chat about hosting a node also.
    Send me some details.
    Cheers
    joe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Hi Senetel,
    We have no such detail's at the moment. Firstly we are trying to build our network, and a stable one at that. In order for us to do this, we require several people whom are interested in hosting our node, and whom are up a reasonable height. For you to qualify, if we were to place one of our node's on your premises, it must be able to "see" our main node which is located on the Slieve Blooms. We would also be interested in anybody else whom is on this mountain to come forward to host a node also. The more nodes we can get up and running, the further a distance we can cover. Pm me your telephone number Senetel, and we will contact you in janruary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Padraig,

No problem with leaving this here as long as it's of benefit to the community and stays clean and on topic.

Be warned, people will tend to take you at your word and then crucify you when you don't deliver, so don't promise things you can't guarantee, be it roll out, service or pricing.

At the moment we have ADSL in some of the larger towns and Lastmile in Athlone and environs. Anything which gives users more choice will be widely welcomed.

Pat

Thank's very much Pat, rest assured we will not be getting anybody's hope's up. But we are pretty sure we can pull this off as there is a well known wireless broadband provider in Northern Ireland helping us every step of the way. So we have great back up & support to get this up and running. But for the moment we need plenty of people whom are interested from Mountmellick, Portlaoise, Montrath, Portarlington and all other surrounding area's to host our node's which are the building block's of the network.

Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

I cant host a node but i would be intrested in the service if its at the right price.

• Advertisement

I cant host a node but i would be intrested in the service if its at the right price.
    Well, we have not got the price structure together as of yet, but we guarantee it to be competitive when it does come out. What is your location?

Padraig

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Mountmellick not to far from rosanallis

Would you be anywhere up near the Slieve Blooms, preferrably up on a height?

Padraig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Hi I dont have any capacity of height where I am but am interested in the service-I live in the Woodbrook/Limetree area about three miles from both Portarlington and Mountmellick.

Hi I dont have any capacity of height where I am but am interested in the service-I live in the Woodbrook/Limetree area about three miles from both Portarlington and Mountmellick.

Great,
    Pm me your contact details and we will be in contact with you

Regard's
    Padraig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

also interested in hearing more about this - am based on the ridge road in portlaoise.

feel free to pm me

tks

Neonitrix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Digiweb have gone live in Portlaoise I hear, with their Homewave product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Anymore updates on this wireless broadband? Lookin to move to Laois and would be interested in a good BB service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Digiweb are in Durrow, Mountrath, Abbeyleix, Stradbally and Portlaoise

Eircom are in Abbeyleix, Portarlington, Portlaoise and Mountmellick.

Premier Broadband are in Mountmellick.

Digiweb will be live soon in Rathdowney, Ballacolla, Clough.

Parts of Ballinakill, mainly SW should be able to get Digiweb Durrow broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Cheers Danno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

Hey will the service strech out to Coolrain/Camross area?

No briadband service is located in these areas and that were my dad lives.

He is pretty much midway/three quaters of the way up the slieve bloom mountains?

And Im very interested in it but Id rather not give u my details before you ask as how do we know you are sincere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

Im in the ballyfin area,not too far from the ridge of cappard(5 mls),on a decent height.Any details on how much the costs will be?Im using sky dsl at the moment(satelite)but its getting a bit costly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

And btw bigpaddy,any chance of a job?i will work for cheap wages!i have a full drivers licence and an interest in learning more about wireless bb and im not afraid of heights lol,but seriously do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Hey!
    If this is the same "outfit" www.premierbb.ie that i was in touch with over 4mths ago when i was told that they would for sure be out to do a survey for me and as of yet have still to get my survey or an email or a phone call even though i live on a very good height in the ballyfin location? Digiweb have a transmitter in mountrath which only seems to have a radius of one and a half miles! why would, should these lot be any better? At least they gave me a survey and an email and a phone call.
    Are you the same "OUTFIT"? www.premierbb.ie (Me Thinks You Are)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

John do you know how far out that transmitter in Ballyfin transmits to?its radius in regards towns/villiages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

hey!
    Not to sure how far the signal goes but im staying a little under 2mls from where digiwebs fixed access point is located (Delahuntys Pub) beside the credit union, and when the technician did a site survey he couldn't get a as much as a blip. I have a good line of sight of the town but still notting.
    The main reason for this is that nobody would allow the access point to be installed on ther property because
    of cancer?? I ask you! well that was the line from digiweb anyways and as a result the access point is to low where it is and is been blocked by other buldings around it. Net result of this is mountrath is broadband enabled for a half mile or so! (Can't they get anything right in that town) I'm using satellite for my connection as i'd say you may have to in coolrain, but keep away from digiweb and the like cos there are cheaper providers around with a good service!

Rgds

Hey!
    If this is the same "outfit" www.premierbb.ie that i was in touch with over 4mths ago when i was told that they would for sure be out to do a survey for me and as of yet have still to get my survey or an email or a phone call even though i live on a very good height in the ballyfin location? Digiweb have a transmitter in mountrath which only seems to have a radius of one and a half miles! why would, should these lot be any better? At least they gave me a survey and an email and a phone call.
    Are you the same "OUTFIT"? www.premierbb.ie (Me Thinks You Are)

Hello John,
    Since our last conversation we did do a survey around your area just a few 100 metre's from your house, on the main mountrath ballyfin road but with no result. We did try contacting you but to no avail.

MrSinn wrote:
    Im in the ballyfin area,not too far from the ridge of cappard(5 mls),on a decent height.Any details on how much the costs will be?Im using sky dsl at the moment(satelite)but its getting a bit costly

We have several customers up around the ridge of cappard, signal is no problem. Just depends on which side of the ridge you are on(ie overlooking Mountrath or Mountmellick/Portlaoise area)

Polly19 wrote:
    Hey will the service strech out to Coolrain/Camross area?

No briadband service is located in these areas and that were my dad lives.

He is pretty much midway/three quaters of the way up the slieve bloom mountains?

And Im very interested in it but Id rather not give u my details before you ask as how do we know you are sincere?

Sounds like you are in a good location to pick up one of our nodes.
    I can pm you my number if you would like to have a site survery carried out.

Advertisement