Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone C.p.c. Closed!

Options
  • 22-12-2004 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

It was officialy announced today that after being in existance for more years than most people can remember, Athlone Clay Pigeon Club have been forced to close down.
    Up to a handfull of years ago the grounds were secluded in bogland behind a small industrial estate. But now there are housing estates within a mis- directed shot of the layouts, the industrial estate has boomed and the bog has been stripped bare with peat extraction.
    We may indeed have to worry about the technocrats restricting our sport, but it is "PROGRESS", and I use the word reservedly, that is a bigger threat... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sad to hear of that happening Pull. Have they plans to secure another range elsewhere, or has the club itself actually dissolved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pull!theother1

Sparks wrote:
    Sad to hear of that happening Pull. Have they plans to secure another range elsewhere, or has the club itself actually dissolved?

I am lead to believe that it is the end of the road so far as these people are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

no your not serious. i was just considering joining. Was ir Blyr industrial estate. Would it be hard to get a new spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pull!theother1

E@gle. wrote:
    no your not serious. i was just considering joining. Was ir Blyr industrial estate. Would it be hard to get a new spot.

Yes, it was at the back of Blyry.

Almost impossible to get new grounds these days unless you head for the back of beyonds. And even then planning permission can be a problem.

You can still join the ICPSA and shoot at the 39 remaining clubs, 3 of which are 45 minutes or less from Athlone.

Advertisement