Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up my DSL router for UTV BB

• 23-12-2004 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Can anyone please tell me where I'm going wrong?

I got my router and kit today and I can't seem to get it working, my PC is upstairs & I use an extension lead to use hook it up, I'm thinking do I need a RJ-11 extension [or is this the same lead as the one I'm using?]

Kit -

dsl filter
    line/phone socket X 2
    RJ-11 Phone cable x 1
    USB cable [which I am using]
    Power adapter
    ethernet cable

I have my phoneline & extension lead connected to my DSL splitter, my USB [on router] connected to back of PC, my power connected to DC. When I connect my phoneline to pc I can connect [modem] when i connect to my router I can't connect. When I do my tests it doesn't find the DSL cable [when plugged into router] but does find the USB cable. I've tried putting in my username and password to no effect.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid wrong, but I have it hooked up exactly as it has on the graphic & have followed the instructions, if anybody can help me to set this up for Chrimbo I'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

The only thing I'd suggest looking at is the "DSL splitter" and checking which way around your cables are... one of the ports on the splitter should be a filter and the other unfiltered (at least that's how mine works (esat))... I made this mistake before a few months ago... I spent two days offline cursing esat, then was kicking myself when I found out what it was :o
    It was actually one of the first things I checked aswell, but for whatever reason just said "yeah that looks ok..." - gah.
    So make sure you're not filtering the wrong cable.
    Also it could be that they haven't switched your line on at their end... I got my self-install kit about a week before the line was due to be activated, so it could be that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Limey wrote:
    Can anyone please tell me where I'm going wrong?

I got my router and kit today and I can't seem to get it working, my PC is upstairs & I use an extension lead to use hook it up, I'm thinking do I need a RJ-11 extension [or is this the same lead as the one I'm using?]

Kit -

dsl filter
    line/phone socket X 2
    RJ-11 Phone cable x 1
    USB cable [which I am using]
    Power adapter
    ethernet cable

I have my phoneline & extension lead connected to my DSL splitter, my USB [on router] connected to back of PC, my power connected to DC. When I connect my phoneline to pc I can connect [modem] when i connect to my router I can't connect. When I do my tests it doesn't find the DSL cable [when plugged into router] but does find the USB cable. I've tried putting in my username and password to no effect.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid wrong, but I have it hooked up exactly as it has on the graphic & have followed the instructions, if anybody can help me to set this up for Chrimbo I'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers.

Have you definitely confirmed thath bb has been activated on your phone line? are you putting in your username as xxxx@adsl.utvinternet.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

dub45 wrote:
    Have you definitely confirmed thath bb has been activated on your phone line?

Is there a green light on the router marked DSL? If this is on then the line is activated.

Next step is to check to have installed USB drivers correctly ...

Can you ping the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Other known problems with USB router supplied by UTV are

VIA Motherboards

http://utvinternet.ie/support/ans.asp?id=465&category=broadband&region=ni

P4 with Hyper Threading

http://utvinternet.ie/support/ans.asp?id=469&category=broadband&region=ni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Note, the connections going into your DSL Filter should be :-
    1, Your Zyxel router
    2, Your phone.

Your DSL filter is then plugged into your telephone wall socket, and provided you have installed the software correctly in sequence it should have installed the drivers and 2 Zyxel images should appear on your desktop. Click on the one called Dial up and a window should appear which you click on dial, then the second light on your router should turn green, and a connection notice appears on your desktop.

I had problems installing my Zyxel modem software & hardware, but then did a complete uninstall. Then re-installed and bingo it worked.

A lot also depends on your computer operating system, Windows Me is notoriously difficult, but Windows XP is practically automatic installation with the help of a wizard that appears when you insert the installation disc.

Try doing it slowly making sure you connect the router to it's proper marked connection on the filter, and the same with the phone.

Very frustrating, but worth it, in the end.

Hope that helps.

P.

• Advertisement
Advertisement