Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling car without signing log book?

Options
  • 23-12-2004 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

I am trying to sell my car at the moment and i got offered the asking price on Monday night. Problem is that the log book was in my parents house down the country. I got them to stick it in the post on Monday but there is still no sign of it.
    Now the buyer is getting eager to get the car asap as its a xmas present, but i would'nt let it go without him signing/dating the log book first.

My question is, would a letter, stating that he has taken ownership of the car and signed/dated by the both of us, be legally enough to cover my ass if he got a speeding ticket or crashed it?

Perhaps signed by a garda as well?

I just dont want to lose this sale.

Any advice/experience appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Call your local Garda station and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

you will have to check with Garda but as temp solution you could do RF2 form which was used for Changes of Ownership "Vehicles registered before 1/1/1993

You can give him a copy of this document (keep original )
    together with receipt for his cash . This should be more then enough for the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Yep i might get him to fill out that form along with signing a letter.
    It's really just to cover myself as opposed to keeping him happy.

Cheers lads

Advertisement