Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble with NTL BB and wireless router.

• 23-12-2004 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭

I got a 3Com OC Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway from Komplett and am using it with a Bufalo wireless NIC (theres also a normal NIC in the PC). I can't get the PC to connect to the internet going through the router, here's the set-ups I've tried:

NIC -> Modem Can connect to the internet
    NIC -> Router I can change router settings so I think this works
    Wireless NIC -> Router I can change router settings so I think this works

NIC -> Router -> Modem Won't connect to the Internet
    Wireless NIC -> Router -> Modem Won't connect to the Internet

In the router options under the 'Internet Settings' there is a 'Connection Parameters' section that I've set to 'Dynamic IP Address (automatically allocated)' & 'Clone MAC Addreess' section and I've put in the MAC address of the cable modem there as I guess that's how NTL authenticates a signal?

Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? I'm just completely lost now :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just straight off...
    SteM wrote:
    In the router options under the 'Internet Settings' there is a 'Connection Parameters' section that I've set to 'Dynamic IP Address (automatically allocated)' & 'Clone MAC Addreess' section and I've put in the MAC address of the cable modem there as I guess that's how NTL authenticates a signal?
    Disable this. There's no need to clone the MAC address unless you're connecting the router directly to the coax line. That may be causing a conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I think that the NTL uses the MAC ID from the modem. So you don't need to muck about with the MAC address'es of anything else. On my Netgear I left everything with withs own default MAC address. All my PC's can use the NTL connection simple by plugging them into the modem and rebooting the modem. Going through the router I don't have to change anything at all.

If that makes sense...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Thanks for the tip guys, I appreciate it. There's 3 options:
    • Use the Routers original MAC address
    • Use the PCs MAC address
    • Enter a new MAC address (I've put the cable modem's in here)

I'll try option 2 when I get home later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SteM wrote:
    Thanks for the tip guys, I appreciate it. There's 3 options:
    • Use the Routers original MAC address
    • Use the PCs MAC address
    • Enter a new MAC address (I've put the cable modem's in here)

I'll try option 2 when I get home later.
    If you're using the modem that NTL supplied, there's no need for any fiddling with MAC addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Im having toruble too with my Dlink set-up but I changed the Mac address to be that of the routetr and the PC that is connected through the main PC / wired to the router is working grand.

The wireless PC downstairs just doesnt recgonise any kind of connection is in existance??

• Advertisement
Advertisement