Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

redirect documents and settings to different drive?

• 23-12-2004 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

what would be the handiest way of going about this?
    basically, i want to have the documents and settings folder at the root of the d: drive rather than the c: drive.

i'm guessing the registry is where its at... cba trawling through it atm though

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can only be done on install, or in the group policy of the PDC if you're in a domain.

If you do a google for it, some places say it can be done though the Local Policy editor, but the options weren't there for me in XP Pro.

To do it on install, you'll need to create a new install disk with an automated install. Google for nlite to sort this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TimAnne

i have nlite already... wasn't too impressed with it tbh. (it somehow failed to make my slipstreamed sp2 disc bootable)
    i'll have another look at it tonight. cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TimAnne wrote:
    i have nlite already... wasn't too impressed with it tbh. (it somehow failed to make my slipstreamed sp2 disc bootable)
    i'll have another look at it tonight. cheers
    Yeah, same thing myself. Had to make an Sp1 install disk and manually upgrade to SP2. He's constantly updating it tho, so it might work now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You can move individual users Documents and Settings if you wish, you'll find some info here. I did this before and although it works, some apps make assumptions about locations and either screw up their storage locations or just plain don't work. So, just like with Program Files, these days I tend to accept the defaults. Except My Documents obviously, which always goes on a separate partition.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

used http://www.x-setup.net/ to move, my docs, my desktop, application folder, to a different drive (theres options to move more but those were the ones i wanted). It works very well, no problem with any programs not working. Will not lose anything now if i have to format the os. Benefits of having the desktop and my docs in the same place are that it moves by default rather than copies. Application folder as it keeps all my settings and games, not mention stuipd Azureus downloads which I missed the last time.

x-setup pretty damn good, has a bucket load more features than just the above. I'm sure you can do it with out this program in methods mentioned above, it just makes it all so easy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sounds interesting.

adam /downloads and pokes with large stick

Advertisement